Wearing ya cap straight?

Discussion in 'History' started by Mateytate, Jan 3, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. We were sat at work the other day discussing amongst other things, at what point did Jack have to wear is cap straight? I mean in WW2 pictures (and some of these are official portraits), they wear them on the side of their head don’t they? Just wondering and I can t sleep till I get an answer! :)
  2. Probably got the idea from the brylcreemboys during WW2 then decided that 'straight' was best!
  3. Some time in the 70's, I think that's when oval caps were introduced?
  4. We were straight capped in the late fifties.
  5. Normal (?) shape caps were still being used until 79 when I was last i/c of ta Slop Room.

I saw those weird oval shaped caps on Aussies, but I can't recall if the Kiwis wore them ?

Anyone remember the 'wren' caps that the Italian Navy wore ?

6. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

I don't know when it ended but it was probably started by Admiral Beatty.

From www.bibl.u-szeged.hu

and perpetuated by all sailors of all Navies and all ranks. A jaunty angle is very nautical and very (oh dear) SS.

Six buttons? Another change that slipped in? Where is hammockhead when you need him?
  7. The Kiwis wore those circular 'duff bowl' style caps the same as the RN.
  8. Don't know who the fascist was who insisted on straight caps, but Beattie was famous for his six-button jackets. Logical progression from 10+ to 8 to 6, if you think about it, but one only an admiral would get away with.
  9. i think you should be allowed to wear them slanty.
  10. Just a shame he didn't understand as much about 'flash' as he did about fashion.