Wearing uniform in public

Should we be allowed to wear uniform in public?

• Total voters

pingbosun

Lantern Swinger
2badge_mango said:
I agree with Stirling.
It was about 1956 when junior rates were first allowed ashore in civvies. I was at Mercury and, as a Leading Hand, still had to fall in for libertymen and be inspected by the OOD and suffer the eagle eye of a member of the reg staff - and that was only to get on the bus to married quarters!!
J/Rs carrying civvies on board ship came in a few years later, but only for ships in home ports. Elsewhere No2s/6s, with variations (2as,6as), and 10s for daytime runs abroad were de rigeur.
When I was POOG at Raleigh in the 60s, all YMUT wore No 2s, and were inspected before proceeding ashore. Minor faults were picked up and the rating sent back to his mess to amend same, would be allowed to "catch the next liberty boat" if satisfactory.
In the Fleet, immense pride was taken in preparing for a run ashore, and it was almost unheard of to see a scruffy matelot.

How things change!!

2BM
G'day all.
I have read most of the different views on this subject and I feel that I must put my tuppence worth into the ring so to speak was called up for N/S originally in February 11th 1957 and I can assure you that in no way were you allowed to leave a "Ship" in civvies at any time, I was invalided out in 1964 and still there was no way that a junior rate was allowed ashore in civvies, infact you were discouraged to carry them onboard, especially if you were onboard a small ship, ie. "Frigate" and below. :sad:
You certainly were allowed to wear civvies ashore, when you were in barracks, or shore establishments, but up until 1964 "no one", except officers, were allowed to go ashore in civvies, and it was certainly frowned on for junior rates changing ashore into civvies.

In harbour, even R,A's had to wear their no. 2's or no. 3's ashore , and be inspected by the duty PO, before they were given permission to leave the ship. Even after the duty PO. had inspected you, the duty, "Officer of the Watch" could still knock you back after the PO reported all "Liberty men ready for your inspection Sir !!" :cry:
On most frigates and smaller ships the "OOOW, wouldn't bother to inspect you, he normally only told the PO, to tell them to carry on PO. however if there was some skate, that they particularly disliked, then you were in for a proper inspection and the "Ditty Bags" would be opened for his inspection and a refusal if you had civvies in the hold-all, and sent back to the mess to get properly dressed. :roll:
Most guys waited until after 1800 when the OOOW didn't come down to inspect any-body it was left up-to the duty PO.
That's when the "Tiddly Suits", "tiddly "white fronts" (the size of a hanky) and the matelots who wore civvies ashore would front the duty PO.etc. etc. sneaked ashore :cool: :cool: :cool:

However in my seven years when I was on a ship I couldn't see the point of changing into civvies, if you didn't like them you should have joined the "Sally Army" instead, Now however I see why they do allow guys to go ashore in civvies, because of the trouble that hte stirrers ashore could give the matelots in his uniform.

One time soon I will tell you a wee true story that happened in "Port Edgar" in "Scotland", when the "Teddy Boys" beat the crap out of some young "Tiffies" who went ashore in their uniform, I think one of the kids died .Unless some-one else tells the story first.

regards pingbosun :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

Six_and_a_Half

Lantern Swinger
Personally I think it should be encouraged that sailors wear uniform ashore providing it is smartly presented. It will do the public good to see that the navy is a working service, and might even help to deter terrorist actions if they can visibly see that the country is defended.

By not wearing our uniforms because we're too scared to be seen in them means that we are either too embarrased for people to know we are in the Royal Navy, or that the terrorists have succeeded in their mission to terrorise us. Neither of these are particularly good for the navy's public image.

safewalrus

War Hero
Seadog

Rather than a PM for the intrest of all

1) I was referring to the pullover - As I see it there is two types one 'crew' (what an apt name) neck for ratings - copied from the army green and a vee necked one for WRNS (when women where WOMEN [and respected for it!] not these sexless creatures that we see today) and naval officers who had to show off their ties in the early days to prove they were better than everybody else!

2) Since King George VI decreed it, we (the Merchant Navy) lost more men (in the WWII) than any other force and still stood by our ships and did not waver, even though they were unarmed civilians. without them you'd be speaking German now (the Yanks of course helped a lot too)

3) You mean you don't know where you avatar comes from? Typical 'pig iron polisher' As I said you obviously wish you were!

Happy sailing Stokes (Oil and Water can mix - but not often)

pingbosun

Lantern Swinger
G'day all.

Way back in the late fifties, Port Edgar, was being ruled by big gangs of "Teddy Boys" "Bovver Boys" whatever you like to call them, and there would be up to 200 of these hoons :roll: :roll: anyhow every time a young matelot would be seen wearing his uniform they used to try and hastle them, they never bother with groups of matelots who came ashore from ships as we all stuck together like s*it to the proverbial Blanket.

This had been going on for many months, until one night a group of very young "Tiffies" all went ashore celebrating something or other. :???: :???: There were no other matelots ashore that night, most probably the night before payday :sad: :sad:

The aforementioned "Bovver Boys" got stuck into them and really gave them one he**uva doing over. :roll: :roll: :roll: Later one of them died in hospital :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: Instantly word went round the fleet at "Rosyth" Officially!! but unofficially: every man who is not duty or a watch keeper get ashore to Port Edgar at 1900hrs, and be armed with something or other.

Nearly every ship cleared lower deck, even some PO's came ashore, I think every marine was there, even some who should have been on duty. :lol:

Now Port Edgar wasn't a big place, so when the entire fleet went down the main street, it was like a wave moving to where all these guys were waiting, for the matelots. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Then it was on :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: every-one who had long hair, or a zoot suit, when they were met by the guys many of them in No. 8's, or No. 3's (No. 1's excused that night) were given what they had been dishing out for so long, no-one was excepted, they all got what they were needing, :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: when they were finished there they moved onto Edinburgh, where the problem wasn't too bad, but just to let them know what would happen if it happened to any matelot or marine again.

The local police and the shore patrol knew what was going to happen and were told to keep out of the way, (some patrol men :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: even joined in) there were none of the fleet boys arrested, but many of these hoons finished up inside, even as far away as Edinburgh, as there wasn't enough room in the local nick. No charges were laid on the guys who were adrift the next morning, and again unofficially the word was sent round the fleet again: Job well done :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol

After that there was never any trouble in that corner of the world, and in many other ports in the UK. So just trying to keep out of trouble and turning the other cheek doesn't always work. Sometimes action speaks louder than words. :razz: :razz: :razz: :razz: :razz: :razz: :razz:

regards pingbosun

onions

GCM
If/when todays Navy wear uniform ashore, do they have to wear their bonnet covers? The reason I ask is, I saw a PO(female) who was obviously in uniform, rate badges on shoulders, shopping in Fareham town centre at lunch time, but was negative headgear.

Keep Striving.

onions said:
If/when todays Navy wear uniform ashore, do they have to wear their bonnet covers? The reason I ask is, I saw a PO(female) who was obviously in uniform, rate badges on shoulders, shopping in Fareham town centre at lunch time, but was negative headgear.

Keep Striving.

You should see some of the sights crossing on the Gosport Ferry! No headgear and smoking. :roll:

sgtpepperband

War Hero
Book Reviewer
TattooDog said:
onions said:

Keep Striving.

You should see some of the sights crossing on the Gosport Ferry! No headgear and smoking. :roll:

Ah, that's when the Dress Patrol grabs 'em as they walk through Victory Gate... :twisted:

Mind you, if their slack attitude to wearing rig ashore bothers you, how about having a quiet word in their shell and reminding them? Or failing that ask to see their RNID card and get their details and let the likes of me do the dirty work for you?! :lol:

sgtpepperband said:

Mind you, if their slack attitude to wearing rig ashore bothers you, how about having a quiet word in their shell and reminding them? Or failing that ask to see their RNID card and get their details and let the likes of me do the dirty work for you?! :lol:[/quote]

Difficult since I'm in the cycle section of the ferry and they're usually walking, but it'd be nice to see the look on their faces!

jambosun

Lantern Swinger
Tattoo Dog, like you I'm on a bike on the ferry but every time I see some scruffy git with no headgear or a female sailor with huge bloody hooped earings that a budgie could swing in, or bright red nail varnish, I make sure I catch up with them and have a very short and direct one way conversation. It's always worked and no one has once asked me to show an ID card (though I sometimes wish they would). What really winds me up is when I see SRs and Officers in uniform NOT picking up the offenders :evil: . I'd love to see a surprise visit to the ferry by an RPO. That would shake them up. Makes you wonder what standards are being taught nowadays.