Wearing uniform in public

Should we be allowed to wear uniform in public?

• Total voters

dunkers

War Hero
stirling said:
I disagree....when there used to be an 'art' in dressing in No 1s ( separate collar, silk, bell bottoms etc) Jack looked the business ashore and I was extremly proud to wear mine....judging by some of the comments that pride seems to be lost on some.
Now the silk is once again seperate but the bow is a ready-made thing sewn into the silk. It looks terrible. Bear in mind also that you only get one set of no 1's now (with gold badges) so I suppose everyone wants to keep that set in good condition rather than wear it out.

Raleigh still inspects those trainees going on the liberty boat even though they are wearing civvies (they have to be "respectable" civvies).

Jimmy_Green

War Hero
Going out for a foreign run ashore in No1s looks the dogs dangly bits, but in the UK? Well I for one wouldn't if I was somewhere like Guzz or dog shit city but on a ship's visit to somewhere 'oop north' for example then why not?
As for being seen in public in working rig doing a bit of shopping or travelling home etc don't have a problem with that as long as it's clean and smart. It can only raise the Navy's profile. The Army are constantly seen in public in CS95s which is their working rig and as we are more and more a purple organisation with many more matelots also working in CS95s (I'm one) then we also should be seen. The Navy tends to be the poor relations when it comes to PR, let's change that.

bigbungy

Badgeman
Some of my best runs ashore have been 'rig runs' down the smoke over a weekend when i'd run out of warrents to get home. We would get away with murder in the rig, especially with our HM Submarines cap tallies. PLUS all the fanney you could muster. Something todays matelots probably have not experienced. Yes, i could recommend a rig run to anyone, especially 'up north' where they never see matelots.
'Touch yer collar Jack'? YES PLEASE !

dunkers

War Hero
If anyone outside Guzz or Pompey saw someone in no 1 rig, there's a fair chance they would think it was some kind of fancy dress costume.

safewalrus

War Hero
Dunkers - isn't it?

Whilst I have as said above no problems with the right gear in the right place lets try to remember what we are, or are trying to be! Representatives of a proud efficient fighting service that can terminate the whole f***** street if we want to, but we are working for you guys, so lets have a bit of respect!

dirty oil encrusted 4's are not really the thing are they? no hat? surely not, the whole idea of the job is respect for the badge which is worn on the hat/beret (after all that's what you are supposed to be saluting, not the bloke in it - nice to see the 'Rodneys' back in gold tape rather than that yellow stuff they had for a few years, never caught on in the Real Navy[the one with shipss that went to sea]). Also the comment "4's is OK for nipping out to the bank at lunch time" seems a great indicater of the modern version of LMF - no f****** pride - national thing I know (even the Police don't wear ties anymore!) but why not become a trend setter - Smarten up - Make the Nation Proud of their Navy, they were once!!

Jimmy_Green

War Hero
safewalrus said:
Dunkers - isn't it?

Whilst I have as said above no problems with the right gear in the right place lets try to remember what we are, or are trying to be! Representatives of a proud efficient fighting service that can terminate the whole f***** street if we want to, but we are working for you guys, so lets have a bit of respect!

dirty oil encrusted 4's are not really the thing are they? no hat? surely not, the whole idea of the job is respect for the badge which is worn on the hat/beret (after all that's what you are supposed to be saluting, not the bloke in it - nice to see the 'Rodneys' back in gold tape rather than that yellow stuff they had for a few years, never caught on in the Real Navy[the one with shipss that went to sea]). Also the comment "4's is OK for nipping out to the bank at lunch time" seems a great indicater of the modern version of LMF - no f****** pride - national thing I know (even the Police don't wear ties anymore!) but why not become a trend setter - Smarten up - Make the Nation Proud of their Navy, they were once!!

If I'm working in No4s and I need to nip out 'to the bank' then as long as they are clean and tidy there is no problem. The regulations were changed a couple of years ago to allow this. If I have to get changed to go to the bank do you honestly think I am going to put on No5s or No1s? Of course not, I'll put civvies on. No4s are our working rig as much as CS95s are for the Army. If I'm in the office doing bog standard stuff I wear No4s and if I'm doing a job where I'm likely to get covered in grease, oil or paint I'll do it in overalls. The Navy has moved on or do you think we should go back to the times when No1s/No2s were worn at Action Stations just 'cos it looked good on the old B&W war films?

Seadog

War Hero
safewalrus wrote
after all that's what you are supposed to be saluting, not the bloke in it

Utter sh1te, as discussed elsewhere on these boards.

As for wooley pulleys and open neck shirts, I've yet to see anyone, officer or rating wear that combination to the benefit of the Service.

A

angrydoc

I'm willing to be corrected, but I don't think tropical shirt with jumper is a recognised Officers' rig! Mind you, neither is 4s with shorts, long socks and steaming bats yet we tend to wear that every now and then!

War Hero
It might not be ''recognised'' as such, but it is pretty common, I think the guidance has it as an option, same as wearing a beret with No3s.

safewalrus

War Hero
Seadog, whilst I every respect for your modern knowledge of the Naval System (what do I know about it I left probably before you were born) I am somewhat taken aback at your comment concerning 'wooly pullys' and opend necked shirts, was of the opinion that that was the prefered winter working rig these days - probably the only time when #4's (still think of em as 8's) look reasonably smart! And when worn with the WRNS/Officer version (you know with the vee neck) it looks even smarter!