Wearing uniform in public

Should we be allowed to wear uniform in public?

• Some of the time

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

safewalrus

War Hero
Dunkers - isn't it?

Whilst I have as said above no problems with the right gear in the right place lets try to remember what we are, or are trying to be! Representatives of a proud efficient fighting service that can terminate the whole f***** street if we want to, but we are working for you guys, so lets have a bit of respect!

dirty oil encrusted 4's are not really the thing are they? no hat? surely not, the whole idea of the job is respect for the badge which is worn on the hat/beret (after all that's what you are supposed to be saluting, not the bloke in it - nice to see the 'Rodneys' back in gold tape rather than that yellow stuff they had for a few years, never caught on in the Real Navy[the one with shipss that went to sea]). Also the comment "4's is OK for nipping out to the bank at lunch time" seems a great indicater of the modern version of LMF - no f****** pride - national thing I know (even the Police don't wear ties anymore!) but why not become a trend setter - Smarten up - Make the Nation Proud of their Navy, they were once!!

Jimmy_Green

War Hero
safewalrus said:
Dunkers - isn't it?

Whilst I have as said above no problems with the right gear in the right place lets try to remember what we are, or are trying to be! Representatives of a proud efficient fighting service that can terminate the whole f***** street if we want to, but we are working for you guys, so lets have a bit of respect!

dirty oil encrusted 4's are not really the thing are they? no hat? surely not, the whole idea of the job is respect for the badge which is worn on the hat/beret (after all that's what you are supposed to be saluting, not the bloke in it - nice to see the 'Rodneys' back in gold tape rather than that yellow stuff they had for a few years, never caught on in the Real Navy[the one with shipss that went to sea]). Also the comment "4's is OK for nipping out to the bank at lunch time" seems a great indicater of the modern version of LMF - no f****** pride - national thing I know (even the Police don't wear ties anymore!) but why not become a trend setter - Smarten up - Make the Nation Proud of their Navy, they were once!!
If I'm working in No4s and I need to nip out 'to the bank' then as long as they are clean and tidy there is no problem. The regulations were changed a couple of years ago to allow this. If I have to get changed to go to the bank do you honestly think I am going to put on No5s or No1s? Of course not, I'll put civvies on. No4s are our working rig as much as CS95s are for the Army. If I'm in the office doing bog standard stuff I wear No4s and if I'm doing a job where I'm likely to get covered in grease, oil or paint I'll do it in overalls. The Navy has moved on or do you think we should go back to the times when No1s/No2s were worn at Action Stations just 'cos it looked good on the old B&W war films?

Seadog

War Hero
safewalrus wrote
after all that's what you are supposed to be saluting, not the bloke in it
Utter sh1te, as discussed elsewhere on these boards.

As for wooley pulleys and open neck shirts, I've yet to see anyone, officer or rating wear that combination to the benefit of the Service.

A

angrydoc

I'm willing to be corrected, but I don't think tropical shirt with jumper is a recognised Officers' rig! Mind you, neither is 4s with shorts, long socks and steaming bats yet we tend to wear that every now and then!

War Hero
It might not be ''recognised'' as such, but it is pretty common, I think the guidance has it as an option, same as wearing a beret with No3s.

safewalrus

War Hero
Seadog, whilst I every respect for your modern knowledge of the Naval System (what do I know about it I left probably before you were born) I am somewhat taken aback at your comment concerning 'wooly pullys' and opend necked shirts, was of the opinion that that was the prefered winter working rig these days - probably the only time when #4's (still think of em as 8's) look reasonably smart! And when worn with the WRNS/Officer version (you know with the vee neck) it looks even smarter!

Chalky said:
You want a military supported by the public, financially and otherwise?

Then get out there and show your stuff. No-one likes paying for something they can't see, A smartly turned out Jack or Tom holding a door open, tipping a hat or giving a smile will go a long way to convincing folk that we're not all beer-swilling lunatics pissing away UK PLC's funds for the sake of it.

That's the Home Office, for a start...
Jack in No.1 around Whitehall area, in the pubs, on the busses, oooohhh yyyyeeeesss.... Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Please!!! :razz: :grin:

I wouldn't mind having my taxes hypothecated: transferred from paying for schools and roads to paying for extra issues of kit (strictly on conscience grounds, you understand) so matelots could appear tiddly, in uniform. It would be great for tourism as well!

Can I touch you dicky [bow] for good luck?.... :lol:

hammockhead

Lantern Swinger
drwibble said:
I like it. As did the Commodore I saw in the WR at Nelson on Monday.
I think it looks gash. If it's cold enough for a wp, it's cold enough for a long-sleeved shirt.

When did Red Sea rig replace mess undress in temperate/Arctic waters as officers' night rig? Bloody freezing.

Seadog

War Hero
safewalrus wrote,
what do I know about it I left probably before you were born)
No, I was well established on Earth before you went outside and I'm old enough to still refer to No 8s.

White short sleeved tropical, open neck, with blue wool pullover (any) skirt and wool/polyester black trousers/skirt looks rubbish.

hammockhead wrote
I think it looks gash. If it's cold enough for a wp, it's cold enough for a long-sleeved shirt.
Exactly.

The above combo wasn't a rig when you went outside safewalrus. Eights and wooly pully look fine.

Other than white, roll neck for the use of Submariners, Fast Patrol Boat and Minsweeper crews whats a wooly pully?

Nutty

sgtpepperband

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Karma said:
It might not be ''recognised'' as such, but it is pretty common, I think the guidance has it as an option, same as wearing a beret with No3s.
Yes it is (BR81 Chapter 3 page 14-17. No. 3s can be worn with either caps or berets for all ranks)

I have just seen 5 smallie boys (presumably from Collingrad or Sultan) in 4s (with berets) in Fareham High Street.

They had clearly just been shopping because they all carried River Island bags!

Bless!

sgtpepperband

War Hero
Book Reviewer
rosinacarley said:
I have just seen 5 smallie boys (presumably from Collingrad or Sultan) in 4s (with berets) in Fareham High Street.

They had clearly just been shopping because they all carried River Island bags!

Bless!
Smallie boys? Did your knees start shaking?! :wink:

And of course they went shopping; it's Pay Day!! :lol:

FunDiver

Midshipman
Uniform worn in public is a great PR exercise. I like to see the lads and lasses in uniform, as long as,

1. They have their caps/berets on!
2. They are not smoking in sight of the public!
3. They don't have their bloody hands in their pockets!!

These are sights that I have seen either outside of Collingrad, in the roads close to Collingrad or in the Dockyard. It includes senior rates too!!

It makes me mad :evil: :twisted:

sgtpepperband said:
Smallie boys? Did your knees start shaking?! :wink:
No! Smallie boys may do it for you, but I prefer real men!

But the point is, there has been a been a terrorist alert about a serving member of HM Forces being kidnapped and they go ashore in rig!

Tantamount to wearing a sign above their heads saying please kidnap me and put my beheading on the internet.

Just when we thought it was safe wear rig in public; kazam! up springs Jihad man. Bast**ds! From the coverage so far, though, the threat is only to their own. So unless rig ceases to be worn in solidarity with our Muslim brethren, no change.

I can't see DG Log (Fleet) being deterred by this.

persona_non_grata

Lantern Swinger
Spoke to my CO yesterday - said it was still fine to wear uniform in public but just to be a little bit more vigilant than previously, as well as all the usual of not bringing the uniform into disrepute, etc.

PNG

safewalrus

War Hero
Jack always has had this suicide thing about rig! and when he don't wear it in case the baddies get him he throws his 'at in the back of the car to show who he really is!

Incidentally Seadog me old unterseebooten kapitan (you wish) the so called 'wooly pully' is damn useful, reasonably smart and when worn over a white open necked tropical shirt you can't see the difference cos only the collar sticks out - not even that in the ratings version, wore 'em for years in the Royal Mercantile Marine (at sea, who the hell wears uniform ashore except when there's a 'grippo' involved?) Was a bit of a sod shifting the Gold braid (until you got a second set) but what the hell eh! then you go with a company who don't wear uniform!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
klgreload The Fleet 3
A The Gash Barge 26
Norway Chris The Corps 9