Wearing of uniform.

Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by stirling2, Dec 21, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. cant see many people taking up the advise, u generally get viewed as a bit of a throbber going on leave in rig. did see phase 1's in guzz in No's 1s on their afternoon off.

2. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

Whither impromtu rig runs? How senior?

Contradicts

Reference CS95

Hurrah! I include berets in that.

As for the contradictions, perhaps the TMs will clear things up.

3. CS95 is the most gawd awfull rig, living in a a Garrison town it is everywhere, even the Ghurkhas look scruffy.

4. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

phil1972 wrote

Mmmm. Never felt that vibe. I have been confused with a member of Trumpton but never had 'you're a ******' from any Service or civilian source for wearing rig outside an Establishment or ship. Maybe the next funeral I attend in rig while on leave I'll try to pick up on the contempt. Or local War Memorial 11 November, or formal dinner (like a mess dinner but with civvies) or wedding etc.

If being on leave in rig equals 'throbber' but on duty equals 'smart sailor' which casual onlooker knows whether the wearer is on duty or on leave and why should it inform his or her opinion?

Or is it just you Phil?

5. Haven't got a problem with wearing rig ashore myself and do it frequently when stopping off in town on the way to and from work but I do get a bit hacked off with all the desk jockeys who sit about in the HQs, etc wearing CS 95. It's all fine and practical when on operations or in a field environment but not for the day-to-day business of sitting behind a desk.

That said we will never get away from being mislabelled by the media when we CS or DCs; they're either too stupid or too lazy to note the difference.

SF

6. Just to explain, I like my rig, but you get the vibe that you are being a bit too keen if you were to go on leave in rig. I agree with the idea that we should be seen in rig more (subject to the individuals concerned not acting like w*nkers).

Nothing I said in my earlier post had anything to do with November ceremonies which I would always attend in my best rig and very proudly so. Sorry for any confusion.

7. A mate of mine always wore his rig home. He was too tight to pay the train fare to Newcastle and hitchhiked.

8. That's not what he meant and you know it.

I detest seeing servicemen/women in uniform outside the confines of the Base going to the likes of "Tescos" or such. I think its a disgrace. MY uniform is overalls and I am very proud to wear them, AT WORK! These people telling us how much they'd like us to be seen "out and about" in the minging rig they issue us need a reality check.

Its JUST a JOB!

9. No it's not, it's an adventure!!!

10. It's a dream!! We all lived it once. Some still do! lol

11. Working uniform for jack before all this poser camo gear came into fashion, was Nos 8s - which you certainly were not allowed to wear outside of the shorebase or dockyard unless you were in vehicle transit.
    Yet in Chatham when I served there, the REs from Brompton Barracks were always seen out and about in their greens - oil covered to boot in some cases - even to going into the pub!

Stopping Jack from wearing blue rig ashore, even to pubs, or hitchhiking (best trapping gear going, 'touch yer collar Jack?') isn't going to 'hi profile' them much is it ?
    But then, those who have never actually worn the square rig uniform, always seem to know best, don't they ?

:)

12. [align=justify]Bit of a rant here about the uniform point...

Just over 30 years ago I was issued a crap rig and like mentioned earlier, was denied permission to wear publicly due to NI etc, those old enough will remember it. That said I was immensely proud of my rig, wearing it at any opportunity from rig-runs & shore patrols – to P/Alpha duties and drafting. (I managed to get hold of an old No 1 rig with sep. collar etc)

I moved on to become a fireMAN and obviously issued a different uniform. The difference here was we were seen a lot more in public, and it did attract a lot of interest from the fairer sex! Twenty odd years later a culture change has occurred, this ‘interest’ has been exploited by a younger generation of fireFIGHTERS; or as we oldies call them ‘calendar firefighters’. And they revel in the interest. Harmless enough they are (even if they are reluctant to wear their helmets because its ruins the hair gel..!).

Now a reservist, I’m back in rig and can say that having worn the various RN uniforms in public/transit the public response is fantastic. Sometimes puzzled (being in Yorkshire) but all questions answered if asked!
    So what is the issue about wearing rig? To worry about wearing a no-so-bad quality, FREE uniform and what others might think/opinionate is akin to school kids being peer pressured into wearing £100 trainers to avoid looking geeky.
    Look around, all sorts of people are wearing all sorts of uniform. The only responsibility you have is to wear it properly.[/align]

13. I travel home in rig for a number of reasons:

1) I can go straight from work.

2) There is absolutely no highly visible RN presence in the Midlands, so any time in uniform is both a publicity and a recruiting opportunity. This means that, ultimately, I have to work less hard.

3) I am consistently upgraded to First Class by the kind people at Crosscountry. Bonza.

I am always approached by people asking about the RN and I am always polite and engaging. If it leaves them with a good impression of the Service then I have done more good than skulking in my chair lying under my black grip and glaring at all comers, as seems to be the favoured alternative.

14. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

I think the key point here is what Lammers has already touched on. It depends on what your "working rig" is. It wasn't so long ago that we were prohibited fron wearing 8's or ovies in public, rightly so in my opinion, I think it looks dreadful seeing people on their way in to work in these outfits. It just smacks of laziness to me. No. 1's, however is a different kettle of fish. If we look smart then crack on, fly the flag, but 8's (sorry 4's) or ovies don't look smart and should therefore remain in the workplace. (I should include cs95's in that too I suppose, as so many matelots want to look like booties these days.)

15. [quote="Lamri
    Its JUST a JOB![/quote]

Thats true - thats all it is now - it used to be a way of life, now its been reduced to just being job.

16. tiddlyoggy

Why? What's changed? Surely it's down to the person wearing the uniform. I no longer have the passion I used to have for the mob, but I would consider it to be a way of life still rather than just a job. Everybody will be affected differently by serving, but I think few could dispute that the forces change your outlook in so many ways, political, social etc, I don't think many civvy jobs can alter a personality the way that the forces do.

17. When I was a Pongo the wearing of soiled coveralls was banned in the NAAFI and leaving camp. However as black coveralls was our working dress you were allowed out to the bank and such in clean order. This was in Bovington and Fallingbostel however, so not much Civvi life around.

As to saying its "just a job", the Army was a way of life for me and hopefully the same will ring true in the Royal Navy. God knows I have changed enough of my life even trying to get in. No doubt many things have changed in my eight year service "gap", however I hope its not just a job as I have one of those already and believe me its Sh%#!

Not sure how I would feel traveling on a train from Pompey or Guzz to Kent in a uniform mind. If this is what they are asking.

18. It really is just a job for me these days.

19. tiddlyoggy

But you moderate on this site and contribute heavily towards it. If you worked for, say, Quikfit, would you be likely to be involved in a site about tyres and exhausts? I know what you mean, as I stated previously, I'm not as passionate about all things Jack as I once was, I could put that down to several things, but that's a different subject altogether. However, there is more associated in many ways with serving in the forces than a civvy job, how deeply an individual feels those associations will differ from person to person and change over time, but they exist for all of us.