Wearing of Medal Ribbons on Officer No1 Uniform?

Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by alm2009, Nov 4, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi, I hope someone can help me with this as I'm not entirely sure if it's right.

Basically, I mount medals, normally I just court mount onto brooches and then the medal owner takes their uniform to the station tailor to have the ribbon bars and becketts put on.

However, I was requested by a RN Officer to put the ribbons and becketts on his No 1. uniform for him as he currently does not have a station tailor (I've done a few for RAF personnel but nevery Navy).

I've had a look at BR81 which states "Medal Ribbons: RN Officers. Top or only row 25mm below point of shoulder."

Once the bar is attached (sewn on) the becketts are stitched above which is where the medal then sits when worn.

Is this correct? I've marked the uniform with chalk, and it seems really really high.

I've had a look around for some images as a reference and I've found one with Prince Charles (a very old pic) and his bars are in about the same place although a little lower down, and I've also found one of Prince William and his are much much lower down, I'd guess probably about 5cm above the pocket.

http://www.worldaffairsboard.com/naval-forces/44903-prince-william-start-his-detachment-royal-navy.html here's the link to said images.

If anyone can enlighten me as to where they should be before I start sewing I'd be very greatful.

Thank you

Laura

2. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

Dont start sewing!!

I'm sure you have the best intentions and can do a great job, however if you've never sewed medals on a naval uniform before dont get measurements for your first lot from photo's or an internet forum.

Please.

3. We wear them high because the jacket has an open pocket, if they are low the gongs fall into the pocket.

Your measurements are correct, crack on.

4. I am with MLP on this one and for the reason he stated.

5. Hello Laura,

There are many experts at RR with gratis but sometimes conflicting advice.

As you cannot afford to get it wrong I suggest that you ask the ‘top’ Naval Tailors ‘Thieves’; aka Gieves & Hawkes (Head office at No. 1 Saville Row, dontcha know old bean?).

They even have an “Ask the Experts: solving your sartorial dilemmas†section on their website at:

http://blog.gievesandhawkes.com/about-gieves-and-hawkes

Best of Luck
    Bob

6. If you follow the BR and it turns out to be different from what other people do, then they are wrong and you are right!

7. Agree with MLP. The tailor put the becketts slightly too low on my Nos 1's and they were always catching the pocket

8. Whereabouts are you? Is there no one nearby who has a suit with ribbons on that you could use to have a look at?

I'll let you see mine if you'll court mount my medals!

9. silverfox

silverfox War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer