Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wearing of Medal Ribbons on Officer No1 Uniform?

alm2009

Hi, I hope someone can help me with this as I'm not entirely sure if it's right.

Basically, I mount medals, normally I just court mount onto brooches and then the medal owner takes their uniform to the station tailor to have the ribbon bars and becketts put on.

However, I was requested by a RN Officer to put the ribbons and becketts on his No 1. uniform for him as he currently does not have a station tailor (I've done a few for RAF personnel but nevery Navy).

I've had a look at BR81 which states "Medal Ribbons: RN Officers. Top or only row 25mm below point of shoulder."

Once the bar is attached (sewn on) the becketts are stitched above which is where the medal then sits when worn.

Is this correct? I've marked the uniform with chalk, and it seems really really high.

I've had a look around for some images as a reference and I've found one with Prince Charles (a very old pic) and his bars are in about the same place although a little lower down, and I've also found one of Prince William and his are much much lower down, I'd guess probably about 5cm above the pocket.

http://www.worldaffairsboard.com/naval-forces/44903-prince-william-start-his-detachment-royal-navy.html here's the link to said images.

If anyone can enlighten me as to where they should be before I start sewing I'd be very greatful.

Thank you

Laura

Dont start sewing!!

I'm sure you have the best intentions and can do a great job, however if you've never sewed medals on a naval uniform before dont get measurements for your first lot from photo's or an internet forum.

Please.

alm2009 said:
Hi, I hope someone can help me with this as I'm not entirely sure if it's right.....

....If anyone can enlighten me as to where they should be before I start sewing I'd be very greatful.

Thank you

Laura

Hello Laura,

There are many experts at RR with gratis but sometimes conflicting advice.

As you cannot afford to get it wrong I suggest that you ask the ‘top’ Naval Tailors ‘Thieves’; aka Gieves & Hawkes (Head office at No. 1 Saville Row, dontcha know old bean?).

They even have an “Ask the Experts: solving your sartorial dilemmas†section on their website at:

http://blog.gievesandhawkes.com/about-gieves-and-hawkes

Best of Luck
Bob

alm2009 said:
I've had a look at BR81 which states "Medal Ribbons: RN Officers. Top or only row 25mm below point of shoulder."

If you follow the BR and it turns out to be different from what other people do, then they are wrong and you are right!

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
Agree with MLP. The tailor put the becketts slightly too low on my Nos 1's and they were always catching the pocket

SUYAIB

Badgeman
Whereabouts are you? Is there no one nearby who has a suit with ribbons on that you could use to have a look at?

I'll let you see mine if you'll court mount my medals!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS Disabled people exempt from wearing face coverings under new government guidance MoD News 0
soleil Mail: "Real-Life 'Rocket Man' Wearing A Jet Pack Launches From ... HMS Queen Elizabeth" The Fleet 8
MoD_RSS Man overboard rescued off Dover 'was wearing lifejacket with good strobe light' MoD News 0
klgreload Wearing the uniform in public The Fleet 3
M Wearing commando flashes. The Quarterdeck 36
huwshpis National Hat-Wearing Day Diamond Lil's 17
A Wearing Wings with Police uniform? The Gash Barge 26
gerrysurfs Wearing of dolphins and being PMU submarines Submariners 16
M CCF RN wearing CS95/MTP SCC and URNU 35
W Wearing of medals on civilian black tie The Quarterdeck 14
F Wearing of Jump wings The Gash Barge 33
Ninja_Stoker Women's Institute welcomes piracy victim wearing fancy dress Current Affairs 12
exspy Wearing the Green Beret (2011) by Jake Olafsen The Book Club 7
finknottle The wearing of poppies Current Affairs 48
J Ex Rm and the wearing of rig. The Corps 43
M Bandsmen Wearing Commando Beret The Corps 57
Norway Chris royal-marines-wearing-american-uniform The Corps 9
I Wearing of Relatives' Medals on Uniform Submariners 23
soleil Book: "Wearing The Green Beret: A Canadian With The Royal Marine Commandos" The Corps 3
G 40cdo wearing usmc threads instead of cs95? The Corps 10
R Ex service members - Official wearing of uniform. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 50
T wearing medals The Quarterdeck 18
stan_the_man Wearing No1s after retirement The Quarterdeck 18
Welshy Teenage army cadets abused while wearing uniform.. Current Affairs 13
I sex offender walt wearing RM uniform The Gash Barge 62
S Wearing of CS95 for Sea(Res) Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 75
S Wearing of uniform. The Quarterdeck 84
O Wearing the Square Rig Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 41
P Commandos killed wearing wrong body armour Current Affairs 16
Stripey_G Wearing of Uniforms Current Affairs 102
L Wearing a kilt with Mess Kit... Social & Reunions 18
alfred_the_great RNR AWFP wearing FPGRM flash Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 19
T Persecuted for wearing a Poppy. The Quarterdeck 25
ET(MESM)whogivesafeck Muslim juror accused of wearing MP3 player under her hijab e Current Affairs 9
N Army Chief Apoplectic over Wearing Uniform, Gay Pride March Current Affairs 155
creeper Wearing Dolphins on mess undress Submariners 12
B wearing a suit during the interview? would it help? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 33
P Wearing uniform in public The Fleet 70
Mateytate Wearing ya cap straight? History 9
slim Dutch to ban wearing of Muslim burqa in public Diamond Lil's 29
E Yet another medal? The Gash Barge 24
MoD_RSS MDP Superintendent Trevor Clark awarded Queen’s Police Medal MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK military dog to receive PDSA Dickin Medal after tackling Al Qaeda insurgents MoD News 0
soleil FB: The Royal Family - Presentation Of The Queen's Gallantry Medal To LS David Groves The Fleet 1
MoD_RSS Gareth Wilson awarded Queen's Police Medal in New Year Honours MoD News 0
soleil BBC: "Falklands Veteran 'Forced Out Over Sexuality' Will Get Medal Back" History 31
cheddarman Pingat Jasa Malaysia Medal Submariners 52
D OP shader Medal No Clasp The Quarterdeck 1
MoD_RSS News story: New medal awarded to recognise the changing character of warfare MoD News 0
B Medal Query The Quarterdeck 4