Wearing of Jump wings

Discussion in 'The Gash Barge' started by fez73, Sep 3, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all,
    I have recently completed 5 jumps with a US army jump master. My boss at work (WO1 P coy) tells me i am entitled to wear my light bulb. Does the Navy have an equivalent ?? What are the regs on it ??
    Thanks,
    Fez73

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

3. I worked with an SA that had wings on his Nos 1 cuff. He had not done P coy but had done 5 jumps on AT. The Guys at work have just done their AT and did some jumps and have there light bulbs on there cuffs. They dont get jump pay as its not a trade, just jump trained

4. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

No you can't. You are only entitled to wear a light bulb (if they still let you wear the thing) if you've been through the Parachute Training School at Brize Norton. Your boss at work has got his wires crossed. What on earth is a WO1 P Coy anyway?

5. Blackrat

No. This has been covered loads of times before.

You are not entitled to wear any Parachute qualification badges if you have jumped as part of AT.

6. Blackrat

Let's get this clear from the start. Passing P Company does not entitle you to wear wings. It entitles you to wear a maroon beret. The only way you can wear wings etc is if you have attended the course at No 1 Parachute School at Brize. To get on this course, you need to have done either of the following;

P Company
    Commando Course
    SF Selection (hills phase IIRC)
    RAF Equivalent whatever that is

Have i missed any out?

Last edited: Sep 3, 2013
  7. Being assigned to 16X entitles you to wear a maroon beret.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Blackrat

Agreed. Big bone of contention that one. In the days of 5 Airborne Bde, you could only wear the issued shite one if you hadn't passed P Coy. Those that had passed wore the leather banded one. Why they haven't learned form the Royal Marines is beyond me. Pass the course, wear the lid.

However, P Coy only entitles you to the beret.

Edited to add; Not all units in 16 Air Assault wear the maroon lid.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2013
  9. So how do you earn the light bulb ?

10. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Yep, agreed. But, as stated, a civilian parachute course, conducted by the Pope of PCoy, doesn't entitle the individual to wear a miltary parachute qualification badge on their uniform, as I'm sure all bar the OP would agree.

That said, I've categorically no doubt there are plenty of people serving that wear the badge of a military qualification they don't hold - much the same as there are people who go to the Cenotaph every year bedecked in medals they never earned.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Blackrat

The light bulb was given to those that had attended the course and were posted to a unit that was not an airborne/parachute role. I believe, however, that SPAG wear the lightbulb as they are not entitled to wear wings. To be honest, i've not seen anyone wearing a lightbulb for years.

12. I have absoloutly no idea if the following DCI will help you, but someone, on anther forum said it did!
    DCI(RN) 131/03 (14th November 2003)

13. Another. Sorry, poooore spalling.

14. Thats very interesting, thank you

15. Blackrat

Pleasure. I'm surprised your boss didn't know all this to be honest.

16. He is Army

17. I'm a little excited at Blackrat's next response.

18. I bet you've got a little bit of sex-wee ready haven't you......

19. Yes. My winkle is tingly.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Blackrat

And a WO1 P Coy to boot, whatever that is.

Mind you, it took a pongo to give you all the information you've asked for. Bummer eh?