wearing medals

Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by torpoint_ex_RN, Oct 21, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi, anyone know the answer please.

My son passes out soon, and as an ex matelot I was wondering what's the protocol for wearing medals with a civvy suit at the passing out parade ??

thanks in advance

2. Do it. You have been there seen it got the t shirt and the medals. Hold your head up high showing the next generation its their turn.

3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

At risk of being called a spotter & not that a (now) civilian is really bothered about Dress Regulations, you may now download BR81. Article 0820 refers..

Basically the answer is "Yes, please do" if you wish.

4. Do it. You have been there seen it got the t shirt and the medals. Hold your head up high showing the next generation its their turn.

5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

My apologies if that came across wrong- I was referring to my being a "spotter" with regard quoting the BR! :lol:

6. Nice (and relevant) RN website article and photo here. Spot the George Medal.

7. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Go for it. You earned them, you wear them. (Remember, left breast!!!)

8. Chap in the picture Lt Cdr K Kempsell won GM in 1963 as a Lt EOD officer.
    London Gazette entry below

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/43169/pages/9713

The QUEEN has been graciously pleased to approve
    the award of the George Medal to the undermentioned
    Lieutenant (S.D.) Kenneth Douglas KEMPSELL fii.L, Royal
    Navy.

On 15th August 1963 an explosion occurred in
    a Torpedo Ready-Use Store killing two men and
    severely damaging the building. The reinforced
    concrete roof was brought down upon the readyuse
    stock of torpedoes and warheads, crushing
    them and activating at least ten batteries so that the
    whole was in an extremely dangerous condition.
    It was judged too dangerous to try and remove
    the torpedoes and warheads from the debris and,
    on 16th August, Lieutenant Kempsell led the team
    which placed sixteen demolition charges against the
    battery compartments of the torpedoes, some of
    which by this time were hissing and bubbling and
    were hot to the touch.Great difficulty was experienced in gaining access
    to the battery compartments of many of the
    torpedoes and considerable ingenuity was necessary
    to get the demolition charges correctly spaced.
    Lieutenant Kempsell did his work with great skill
    and courage and his efforts resulted in a most
    effective demolition operation.

9. many thanks for the replies.

Also answered another question, as I'm sure I'd heard that if worn as a civvy it should be right breast.

Better get the dolphins out as well then :p

10. Right breast, I believe and stand ready to be corrected, is for one's parent's or grandparent's medals.

11. When in civvies, you wear YOUR medals on the left breast. Just think back to when the "old boys" from the RBL or RNA, when they "parade" in their blazers for Remembrance Sunday etc.
    Medals worn on the right breast are for a relative who has "cross the bar" and are worn in remembrance of them on special parades. This has come about as a custom and is not regulated by any BR/AP/JSP.

12. I thought, and again I am ready to be corrected, that the only person entitled to wear the medals would be the direct descendant - so say a granddaughter could not wear her grandad's medals if the intervening relative was alive. Although, who is going to police such matters?

13. Torpoint ex RN: Go ahead and do it mate, you've earned the right..

14. Wear mine on my suit for Remeberance ceremonies etc (and I make sure I've got my Dolphins on)

15. Don't forget the brown wings

16. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Yep. Spot on.

17. For what it's worth, I think any descendent, either bloodline or even married into it, wearing the medals of a former serviceman or woman, should be taken as it's probably meant .. as an honour and in remembrance.

:)

18. As I mention in my previous post - the wearing of a deceased relatives medal(s) is not regulated. It is a custom that is believed to have started soon after the Great War.

My hobby is the study of UK medals (I can't afford to collect them!) and in the various Medal Forums I am a member of, this subject has been discussed on many occasions, especially around this time of year. I also have copies of of the various Military Medal Regs and this subject is not covered in them. Thus who wears what on the RIGHT breast is open to local custom.

As long they are not passed off as your own, then no harm.

19. I know we're slowly drifting off topic here but I think that any family member ought to be able to wear a deceased's medals (not that it's something I've done)- there's no point trying to enforce a hierarchy on civvies- and when you see them at remembrance parades these days it's often 6 year olds sitting on their dad's/mum's shoulders and wearing their great grandad's WW2 medals.

If that gives them a link and makes them ask some questions then all to the good.

Of course, that's not to say that the widow/child doesn't get first dibs, but that it's up to them, not us, to remember how they want.