wearing a suit during the interview? would it help?

ben1985

Midshipman
Hi there, got my test in 3 weeks and then touch wood the interview a little later.

Would it help me to wear a suit either to both of them or just the interview?

would it increase my chances at all?

I know it's only the clothing and of course I will be smartly dressed for the test but is it worth getting a suit for the test aswell or i that being too daft?

cheers

Ben Wood
 

ben1985

Midshipman
yeh of course:p.

but I mean if there were 3 people who got all the same test result for the same job and 1 was dressed in tracksuit bottoms and a hoody!, 1 was dressed smartly jeans and a top, and 1 had a suit on.

I can imagine there been a difference between the 1st and last 2, but would there be a difference IN THE TEST, NOT THE INTERVIEW, between the last 2, (ie; smartly dressed, suited up)

cheers

Ben W
 
First impressions count Ben,

I'd still go with the suit - you will still create a good impression with the AFCO staff.
 

danny

War Hero
I went in shirt and tie bit more than a year ago. dont worry to much about other people.
unless your going in for a really specialist branch they will take you all as long as you arnt idiots. there desperate :).
But just go in be well spoken and confident and you should be ok.
 

2badge_mango

War Hero
Sorry Ben - couldn't resist that one, and I do know that you want serious answers. In my experience as long as YOU look clean and tidy, and your clothes are neat and ironed, nothing scruffy, you'll do fine. They'll give you a nice blue suit with all the trimmings when you get to Raleigh!
Don't be too nervous and be yourself, 'cause when it comes down to it, despite his row of medals and stern appearance, the bloke on the other side of the desk is just another human being - unless of course he is a gunnery rate or a crusher!!!

2BM
 

Karma

War Hero
danny said:
. there desperate :).
Even when you can't speel or use capital letters,,,,

Anyway, Ben, if you have a suit then it can't hurt. As Tattoo dog says, first impressions are important.

Edited to add, re-reading your first post it doesn't look like you have one, so don't rush out to get one. Smart trousers, proper shoes, shirt and tie will be fine.
 

danny

War Hero
Karma said:
danny said:
. there desperate :).
Even when you can't speel or use capital letters,,,,

Anyway, Ben, if you have a suit then it can't hurt. As Tattoo dog says, first impressions are important.
it doesn't look like you have one, so don't rush out to get one. Smart trousers, proper shoes, shirt and tie will be fine.
But its ok. Because im good at what matters :)
 

ben1985

Midshipman
yeh , ive got a smart shirt and tie and trousers so does the majority say i wear that for the aptitude tests and then between then and the interview go out and get a suit for the interview.

so then, usually how much time between your aptitude test and getting a date for the interview, 2 weeks? or longer?

cheers

Ben Wood
 

danny

War Hero
think i waited about a month for my interview. I woudnt buy a suit. Sirt, tie and shoes will do. Well worked for me. :)
 
A shirt, trousers and tie will do, but just be smart whatever you wear, do not turn up like some of the chavs in tracksuits / jeans.

Apply this to your whole career, be the best you can be every day, be better than everyone else, have a sense of pride, polish your shoes. When you look like a military man, you will feel like a military man and will act like one.
Declining standards grip my shit, when I was instructing at Collingwood you could clearly see that the exams failures and under achievers were invariably the scruffy buggers who were late all the time.
Self discipline is the key to a great career.

The fact that you asked the question is a good sign. Be smart and good luck.

Edited to add: NEVER EVER be late, be everywhere a minimum of five minutes before you should be, don't be the scruffy, sweating sack of shit that burst through the door to the interview after the boss has started addressing everyone.
 

NZ_Bootneck

War Hero
ben1985 said:
yeh , ive got a smart shirt and tie and trousers so does the majority say i wear that for the aptitude tests and then between then and the interview go out and get a suit for the interview.

so then, usually how much time between your aptitude test and getting a date for the interview, 2 weeks? or longer?

cheers

Ben Wood
Just buy a sports jacket rather than suit if you've already got smart trousers save a few quid,a shade darker than strides ie. Navy blue jacket with blue trousers. Good luck, stay calm, you'll do fine.
 

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
Lingyai said:
Edited to add: NEVER EVER be late, be everywhere a minimum of five minutes before you should be, don't be the scruffy, sweating sack of shit that burst through the door to the interview after the boss has started addressing everyone.
Something that will stay with you for the rest of your life, I work with nine other guys, only one has no Police or Service background, guess which one turns up late usually
 
janner said:
Lingyai said:
Edited to add: NEVER EVER be late, be everywhere a minimum of five minutes before you should be, don't be the scruffy, sweating sack of shit that burst through the door to the interview after the boss has started addressing everyone.
Something that will stay with you for the rest of your life, I work with nine other guys, only one has no Police or Service background, guess which one turns up late usually
The queer? :twisted:
 

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
NZ_Bootneck said:
ben1985 said:
yeh , ive got a smart shirt and tie and trousers so does the majority say i wear that for the aptitude tests and then between then and the interview go out and get a suit for the interview.

so then, usually how much time between your aptitude test and getting a date for the interview, 2 weeks? or longer?

cheers

Ben Wood
Just buy a sports jacket rather than suit if you've already got smart trousers save a few quid,a shade darker than strides ie. Navy blue jacket with blue trousers. Good luck, stay calm, you'll do fine.
Good advice from me this time, never take fashion advice from a Bootneck, especially one living in the Colonies where binder twine is considered a fashion accessary :lol:
 

nutty_bag

War Hero
ben1985 said:
Hi there, got my test in 3 weeks and then touch wood the interview a little later.

Would it help me to wear a suit either to both of them or just the interview?

would it increase my chances at all?

I know it's only the clothing and of course I will be smartly dressed for the test but is it worth getting a suit for the test aswell or i that being too daft?

cheers

I wouldn't dream of going to an interview without wearing a suit, tie and having polished shoes. As has been noted, dont worry about the other chavs, its you who is trying to create a good impression mate. And be yourself. They know you will be nervous as they have seen it all before!! I turned up on my first day in the ambulance service wearing all of the above, nobody else bothered, but i can assure you it was noted by the hierachy.

NB

Ben Wood
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS Disabled people exempt from wearing face coverings under new government guidance MoD News 0
soleil Mail: "Real-Life 'Rocket Man' Wearing A Jet Pack Launches From ... HMS Queen Elizabeth" The Fleet 8
MoD_RSS Man overboard rescued off Dover 'was wearing lifejacket with good strobe light' MoD News 0
klgreload Wearing the uniform in public The Fleet 3
M Wearing commando flashes. The Quarterdeck 36
huwshpis National Hat-Wearing Day Diamond Lil's 17
A Wearing Wings with Police uniform? The Gash Barge 26
gerrysurfs Wearing of dolphins and being PMU submarines Submariners 16
M CCF RN wearing CS95/MTP SCC and URNU 35
W Wearing of medals on civilian black tie The Quarterdeck 14
F Wearing of Jump wings The Gash Barge 33
Ninja_Stoker Women's Institute welcomes piracy victim wearing fancy dress Current Affairs 12
exspy Wearing the Green Beret (2011) by Jake Olafsen The Book Club 7
finknottle The wearing of poppies Current Affairs 48
J Ex Rm and the wearing of rig. The Corps 43
M Bandsmen Wearing Commando Beret The Corps 57
Norway Chris royal-marines-wearing-american-uniform The Corps 9
I Wearing of Relatives' Medals on Uniform Submariners 23
soleil Book: "Wearing The Green Beret: A Canadian With The Royal Marine Commandos" The Corps 3
G 40cdo wearing usmc threads instead of cs95? The Corps 10
R Ex service members - Official wearing of uniform. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 50
A Wearing of Medal Ribbons on Officer No1 Uniform? The Quarterdeck 8
T wearing medals The Quarterdeck 18
stan_the_man Wearing No1s after retirement The Quarterdeck 18
Welshy Teenage army cadets abused while wearing uniform.. Current Affairs 13
I sex offender walt wearing RM uniform The Gash Barge 62
S Wearing of CS95 for Sea(Res) Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 75
S Wearing of uniform. The Quarterdeck 84
O Wearing the Square Rig Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 41
P Commandos killed wearing wrong body armour Current Affairs 16
Stripey_G Wearing of Uniforms Current Affairs 102
L Wearing a kilt with Mess Kit... Social & Reunions 18
alfred_the_great RNR AWFP wearing FPGRM flash Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 19
T Persecuted for wearing a Poppy. The Quarterdeck 25
ET(MESM)whogivesafeck Muslim juror accused of wearing MP3 player under her hijab e Current Affairs 9
N Army Chief Apoplectic over Wearing Uniform, Gay Pride March Current Affairs 155
creeper Wearing Dolphins on mess undress Submariners 12
P Wearing uniform in public The Fleet 70
Mateytate Wearing ya cap straight? History 9
slim Dutch to ban wearing of Muslim burqa in public Diamond Lil's 29
BARNEYRNSM Lounge suit SCC and URNU 33
AAF Which sport would suit you ?. Diamond Lil's 21
C hey which role would suit me? Submariners 16
trelawney126 Would Suit Single Bed Diamond Lil's 0
soleil Borehamwood Times: "Income Analyst Swaps City Suit For Desert Combats" Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 5
The_Caretaker Birthday Suit Land Ops 0
K Flight Suit The Fleet Air Arm 14
soleil Reelshow: The RN, a film cameraman and a survival suit ..... The Fleet Air Arm 3
B Wear a suit to the RT? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 24
Naval_Gazer New website - Life in a Blue Suit (as a junior officer) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 29
Similar threads


















































Latest Threads

New Posts

Top