Wear a suit to the RT?

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by BritishSte, Nov 1, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hey all,

I'm debating whether or not to wear a suit to the Recruitment test, I want to create a good impression - but I don't want to appear OTT or anything, it's not an interview after all.

What's the general consensus on what to wear at the RT?

2. You have answered your own question.
  3. You could wear overalls to create an ambiance of being a hard worker,
    But "First Impressions". You don't get a second crack at making a first impression! :wink:
  4. i wore a suit...no harm in standing out and looking the part...
  5. Have you never heard of the film "Groundhog Day"?
  6. No.
  7. And also No.
  8. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Have you never heard of the film Groundhog Day?

PS. Wear a shell suit.
  9. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
  10. I went to the recruitment test dressed up as did a boy (he was 15), then there was 2 other guys who were in jeans, hoody and trainers. I felt comfortable that i didnt come dressed like that because I was actually shocked that they turned up like it....safe to say they were joining RM! :D
  11. It's not an interview, but it's all part of the application process. it wont do any harm turning up in a suit. a shirt and tie will do for the rt though
  12. What does them joining the RM have to do with it?
  13. Was watching that movie last night. Long time ago another movie on silmilar lines came out it was much better but low key cast. Rattled the brain cell trying to remember the title a great movie. Sensible answers if the title is known

Wear a suit show you are interested and have a wash. Remember one knob who was told to go home and have a wash never to return.
  14. Be neat, be clean (not as simple as it sounds these days), be very much on time and at least 10 minutes early. Neat and clean does not equal fashionable, something that doesn't even come into it. If a suit is what you fancy then wear it, or trousers and a shirt, but let the first four words of my post be your guide.
    Just think how many complete tossers have gone before you and how you need to shine!
  15. If you did go looking smart, but casual ie. Jeans and a jumper - would it go against you? Isn't it more to do with how you perform in a test?
  16. You miss the point entirely regarding first impressions.

If, whenever you meet the people who will at some later stage be interviewing you, you show that you are smartly dressed and punctual, it is irrefutably the case that when the interview comes along they will be in a more lenient mood when analysing your answers to the questions.

This is not just a behavior typical of RN Officers and ratings, but of all humans in general.

First impressions count.
  17. Yes, obviously to an interview I would wear a suit. No need to condescend.

The problem is it has been a while since I last wore my suit, and it no longer fits me as I have been doing weight training. I can't afford to buy another at the moment.

I am joining the RFA by the way, not the RN - but my RT is at the local RN Careers office
  18. Ask yourself, why would you *obviously* wear a suit to the interview?

"That's right, because first impressions count!"

Does the RT occur before the interview?

Then shall I perhaps try to make a good impression here too?"

"Ah, yes, I see now."

I don't intend to be condescending, but you have missed the point quite a few times now and I really don't know how many other ways it can be said.

If the tone of my posts really bothers you, feel free to ignore my advice.

Re: Ill fitting suit, have you trousers, shirt and tie? That's a good alternative.
  19. Never mind, its just a film about a chap who gets umpteen second chances to make a first impression.
  20. I said that.