Weapons Engineers

Discussion in 'The Fleet' started by Bronx, Sep 1, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello, I had my Sift interview this morning and thankfully passed.

However, at the end of the interview, my interviewer asked me if I would consider rather than going in as a Logi, that I go in as a Weapons Engineer Officer.

He explained that there is a shortage of WEs at the moment, whereas Logisticians are easier to come by. This combined with my degree in maths is what prompted his suggestion.

My main query is; Just what is involved in being a weapons engineer? The information online is useful, but I'm thinking more specific, what maths is involved etc.

Any useful links or advice on how to proceed, or even just your experience as a WE would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

2. It's far better than being a Log's Officer - for a start it gives you a professional qualification you can take outside!

3. Do it. WE's live the dream, negative watch keeping (but then again I suppose that also applies to LOGIs). Top qualifications, opportunity to become a chartered engineer etc.

From what I gather you spend the day walking around the ship with a clip board or in your scratcher. When one of the weapons systems breaks you don your white overalls and stand around looking important until the lads have fixed it, once everything is working again you take all the credit for the repair and retire to the Weirdroom for G&Ts.

Likewise when there is a Seadart shoot (or equivalent if you are on a lesser vessel to a Type 42) you get to jump up and down excitedly on the bridge and receive big pats on the back from the skipper because 'you' made it happen. In reality it was the CPO, PO, two killicks and lads who were up all night making sure it would work, but lets not let that spoil your fun eh?

Seriously though, it dicks all over LOGI any day of the week.

Edited for mong grammar.

4. Speaking as an ex-seadart killick----------- what 2DD says.

:lol:

5. This is not quite true in the submarine world. Both the Snorko and the DWEO keep watches. However, substitute TLAM for Sea Dart, and Control Room for Bridge, and you're there.

6. The maths involved is very simple, not the kind of thing you'll need a degree in maths for. What your maths degree will show the navy is that you can probably handle the technical level of instruction during SEMC. I didn't realise that they were accepting maths grads for WE, must be new. A WE, in my humble opinion, has one of the most varied and interesting jobs on board (standfast CVS). Unless you like counting sheets, you don't want to be a loggie.

You need a very high AIB score to become Logs due to the very high demand for places. You'll be more likely to be accepted into the navy on your first AIB pass as a WE. Of course, this should affect your choice unless your pretty much 50-50 as to which to choose.

Apparently we're not short of applicants for WE, just people to fill the jobs at the end of the training. Read from that what you will.

7. If you want to be really bad at Logistics, become a loggie.

If you want to be really good at engineering what you can without the stores you were expecting, become a WE.

8. fails_as_is

fails_as_is Badgeman Book Reviewer

Simple answer: £12k joining bonus for Engineers.

9. Or an ME

10. So much banter, so little time.....

11. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

Got to correct you here 2DD, when the kit breaks you phone Marconi/Ferranti whichever OEM fits and let them fix it while you take the credit. Engineers? Fukcing telephonists! :wink:

12. There are 2 recognised Weapon Engineering repair options:
    a. The "willy nilly board shuffle"

if a. does not work

b. call the contractor

The only real engineers are MEs :D

13. tiddlyoggy

Although it goes against the grain to agree with a submariner you are spot on here. :lol:

14. MEs are gay, drink each other's bodily fluids and eat their own young.

Nuff said really.

15. Quite possibly, but in engineering terms they are unsurpassed. :lol:

16. You make that sound like a bad thing 8O

17. tiddlyoggy

Sorry fella, but I'm really not sure that a dabber's even qualified to comment on this thread. :lol:

18. Cheers for the response guys. Ok, so the maths involved isn't terribly difficult. That's a relief! I've not focussed on engineering type maths for about 12 months, but it wouldn't take too long to swat up.

notafourknotfudgepacker, when you say that the only 'real engineers' are the ME's, is it a more technical job? How does it compare to WE (from what you guys have been saying, the technical stuff is pretty much non existent in WE...).

At TimeToJoinUp, I don't think it's standard practice, I need to go through my transcript with the application officer. If you have any information or books you'd recommend reading for the WE stuff, please let me know.

I'm pretty sure that I'd rather Engineering as a route in the navy, purely because Logistics wasn't quite as exciting as I thought it would be
    (the reason that I didn't go for engineering in the first place was purely because I didn't think that my degree would allow me to be an engineer).

Any chance of finding out a little more about Nuclear Watchkeeper duties?

19. They're "real engineers" in the sense they are using machinery Thomas Newcomen would quite happily have designed. We are far in future of the ME world (all the way to the 1970's!), and because they lack the brains to work with things they can't see (like those damn wigglies in electronics) they just call us all poofs. I would contend that if you have a brain, and a desire to work with (nearly)cutting edge equipment, then WE is the way to go. Unless you become a ME(SM), in which case, your world is much harder than mine ever was!

20. Guys as an ex WE I resemble that remark, also you missed step one the "Ferranti Re-set" that's what the O N/O F F switch is for.
    Aslo as the OP is looking at Occifer then the white overall wearing clip board carrying glory grabber fits both branches.