Weapons Engineering

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by medavidcook, Feb 16, 2016.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hey, I am signing up next week and looking at Weapons Engineering. I am wondering what branch does that fall under when I leave for example Mechanical, Civil, Electrical etc.

If anyone can answer would be great.
  2. it falls under the...err

Weapons Engineering Branch
    under that, there are various streams both Surface fleet and Sub-surface

Think of it more like Combat Systems Engineer
  3. Once your reach LET level you can become streamed in either Sensors, Weapons or Communications Information Systems. On completion of POET course you will be awarded a Foundation Degree in Electronic Engineering.
  4. Have a look at the FB page "Weapons Engineers of the Royal Navy" and ask the guys there what they are doing once on civvy street. I started off as a "Systems" Engineer when I left but have moved on to non engineering roles now.
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2016
  5. 24 years in mob as a Control Engineering Artificer and Weapon Engineering Artificer working on the full range from Minehunting sonar to Seawolf with 4.5 in guns, Seacat, Air weapons and others in the mix.
    Went outside and worked as a shift Engineering Technician in a Fast Moving Food Production environment making the countries favourite frozen food - Birds Eye Fish Fingers!! :D

I am now a Project Engineer in a multi national Medical company with the occasional visit to foreign climes to procure multi million pound manufacturing equipment.

The time in the food industry was in my mind semi retirement - I had my RN pension and didn't take things seriously. Eventually got sick of the working environment - fish - and jumped ship for a cleaner brighter future.

What I am trying to say is that the RN can give you the means and 'bits of paper' to go far when (and if) you leave the service. It is up to you to determine what you will do - and that is especially relevant to the time whilst in the mob.
    If you are aiming to just join, get trained and then leave, well I am surprised no-one has given you an earful already.

I joined to see the world - did that. My first visit to the careers office and I wanted to be an Aircraft Handler. The careers advisor took a look at my school work and said why not try for Apprentice (when we had them, now part of the Engineering Technician thing) - better then pushing aircraft around on a flight deck! Took his advice and didn't look back.

Rab mentioned the Faceache page - it is a closed group though.
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2016
  6. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

You owe that CA big time.
    • Like Like x 4
  7. You can't stream to CIS at LH level.

You are streamed CIS from day one