Weapons Engineer

J3NK0.

Hi, is there anyone who as served as a weapons engineer that can help me with some basic questions like what is day to day life like when on deployment and ashore? The navy website is very good at listing the jobs and benifits but not so good at the day to day stuff. Im due to go to Railegh in January 27th.

Also any tips and tricks would be massively appreciated!

J3NK0.

Didnt know I posted twice, my bad I'll see if I can get it removed. I have searched hence why I am asking. If you dont have a response that doesn't answers my questions can you please not post. Thanks

Taztiff

War Hero
I have searched hence why I am asking. If you dont have a response that doesn't answers my questions can you please not post. Thanks
Obviously not well enough.
I personally have commented on / answered questions regarding life as a WE on this forum based on my 24 years and my son's existing sea time.
As @janner said, lose the attitude or no-one will help you and you will get stick.

J3NK0.

I dont have an attitude, I accepted I made a mistake and I am trying to rectify it. Now that I've acknowledged that I am trying to steer the thread back into its intended purpose rather than side track.

RabC

MIA
It will go nowhere until you use the search function. @Taztiff and many others including myself have commented on the roles of a WE at sea. Search, read and then by all means ask specific questions.

J3NK0.

My main question is what do you do when not on deployment? Like what kind of shifts do you do? And what do you work on when not at sea?

Taztiff

War Hero
My main question is what do you do when not on deployment? Like what kind of shifts do you do? And what do you work on when not at sea?
You are not always on deployment - even if you are serving on board a sea-going ship.
Deployment work and non-deployment work can be the same for a WE dependent on maintenance periods, trials, training, etc. etc.
You can be:
Part of ships company - ashore or afloat.
If afloat - at sea or alongside
If at sea - trials, training, deployed, Fleet contingency, transiting, patrolling, more training etc
If afloat and alongside - duty (watches determined by role), day work (watches or hours determined by role), ashore (it may be after hours, weekend or 'days off' when foreign).
Alongside foreign whilst on deployment - see above.

If billeted ashore - dependent on role (I may have said that a couple of times and it doesn't just mean difference between WE and others) - but training, Fleet Maintenance teams supporting ships in refit etc., more training etc.

One of the main reasons people like being in the services is the relatively variable cycle of day to day work. Yes, there are periods of insane repetitive boredom or insane intense action but how many civvy jobs will give such a wide variety of memories.

Use the search, read the comments, you will not find a definitive day to day routine written down. That's not what its all about.
One of my favourite photos I have is of me sat on the beach in Diego Garcia with a gert big knife opening a coconut. No, hang on - its the one of HMS Arrow PO's mess at the Type 21 memorial in San Carlos. Or was it that RAF Buccaneer flying low over the ships flightdeck off Gibraltar. Or..............

Read the comments, you say you are going WE (assuming ETWE). Think about the type of equipment you want to work on / interests you. Then ask again - we do try to help but 1, we are not official, 2, we are a bunch of old gits reminiscing about the old days and 3, sometimes we get annoyed with the same questions over and over again.

J3NK0.

Thanks! That answered alot! Another one is a friend who's cousin who's in the navy as a ETWE said that majority of ETWE get based in Collingwood after their training. Is this true?

Taztiff

War Hero
Another one is a friend who's cousin who's in the navy as a ETWE said that majority of ETWE get based in Collingwood after their training. Is this true?
Nope!
Well, unless you are doing qualifying, leadership or pre-joining courses when it can seem though you are there forever.
I spent 2 of my first 4 years in the mob there but I was an apprentice. Followed by up to 6 months before joining a ship every 5 years or so (of which 3 years would have been on a ship based out of base port - Plymouth, Portsmouth etc). My shore time out of training in C'Wood was in Portland or Plymouth.
My son spent 6 months or so there in Part 2, followed by a couple of months of courses before joining his ship. That was followed by another 9 months back in C'Wood after his ship to do LETWE course and leadership. So it may seem like you are there all the time but if you want to get ahead!! (He lives in Plymouth so doesn't really want to be in Collingwood unless he can help it!)

You can ask for it as a shore draft if you are really mad.

a friend who's cousin who's in the navy
- expert then!

Ballistic

War Hero
(He lives in Plymouth so doesn't really want to be in Collingwood unless he can help it!)
Who does? ;):p

@J3NK0.
As Taztiff sort of implies in his post above, once you are trained you never really leave Collingwood - you're just let out to the fleet on a very long elasicated leash and every so often it snaps you back there!

RabC

MIA
Who does? ;):p

@J3NK0.
As Taztiff sort of implies in his post above, once you are trained you never really leave Collingwood - you're just let out to the fleet on a very long elasicated leash and every so often it snaps you back there!
Unless you’re a Guzz native who seemed to have upset Drafty and ended up as an instructor there.....