Weapons engineer

Hello my name is Warren and I am kinda in a nasty predicament. I am 18 and just finished my college course mechanical engineering level 3 city and guild got all distinctions apart from 1 merit in pneumatics have 3 GCSE could of done better but consider myself as a bright lad who wants to learn was a but neive when I was 16 however am now really wanting to go down the WE side in the royal navy however the next course. I am wanting to do Level 3 BTEC course in mechanical engineering (full theory) which will allow me to become a petty officer there is limited spaces left on it 6 to be precise. However my parents to not see any need to go onto a another course if it isn't these course and there being limited spaces they are worried that i may not get onto it however having a backup plan I am thinking of doing a level 3 electrical course and the navy want people with mechanical/electrical qualifications so long story short do I apply to be a technician or do I carry on a at college to do a pointless course.
Any theorys on what I should do would be appreciated.
Thanks Warren

crash_evans

Lantern Swinger
I saw something about Petty Officer, the lack of paragraphs makes it quite hard to read though (plus I haven’t got my glasses on!).

Do you want to join as a Engineering Technician?

If I cannot become a petty officer a technician is my backup but the BTEC course will allow me to become one but there is limited spaces so im kinda stuck on what i should do.

crash_evans

Lantern Swinger
I assume you are referring to the Advanced Apprentice Scheme? I believe the only route for Direct Entry (DE) Petty Officer is in the Marine Engineering world (I am not so hot on that side of life, I am sure someone will be along to back me up.)

The Advanced Apprentice Scheme is quite rigid in their required qualifications (if you search they are around the site). you are best off popping down to the AFCO and chatting about your options and go from there.

WreckerL

War Hero
If I cannot become a petty officer a technician is my backup but the BTEC course will allow me to become one but there is limited spaces so im kinda stuck on what i should do.
Whatever branch/sub-branch/derivative of a branch you join, you can become a Petty Officer.