Weapons Engineer Technician advice

Hi all,

I am 17 and have just started my phase 1 training as a reservist and am waiting for a 10 week course at Raleigh and after I completed this I plan to transfer to the regulars as a WE. However, I am at college and doing the 10 weeker would result in me having to leave college and being in the Navy full time. Obviously I am all for leaving college however my parents are sceptical about whether it’s the right choice. Getting my A levels would make no difference in the rank I would enter in as because I have CP4 eyesight so can only enter as an engineer or logistics and I don’t want to pay for uni or be a loggy . So just wondering if there was anything I could use to persuade my parents I should leave college early or am I wrong and I should stay?

Faded

Midshipman
How are you doing 10 weeks as a reservist? I though it was 2 weekends, 1 week NMT100 then 2 weeks confirmation course at Raleigh.

I would absolutely not leave college for a reservist course. Qualifications you get at college will help you get a full time job when you leave, the RNR is just something on the side. Personally I would strongly advise staying in college, getting A levels then joining full time if that is your ambition. The RNR is always there when you leave, college only comes around once.

If I was 17 again and knew what I know now, I would probably join the RN rather than bothering with university. There are many opportunities open to you in the RN and perfectly possible to attain academic/professional qualifications. You can certainly sell that side to your parents if you were committed to joining the RN.

That said, a few things to consider -

What are you studying at college? Do you enjoy it? Would it be worth continuing in the reserves until you've finished your course?

Have you been in the reserves long enough to get enough of an idea that the RN is for you? Then again, Phase 1 training is very different to actually being in the fleet. Have you managed to talk to anyone who's "in"?

What is your contingency? What if you leave college, start INT at RALEIGH and don't complete it for whatever reason?

Is the transfer to ET(WE) guaranteed?

Why WE? What would make you a good engineer? How's your maths?

How are you doing 10 weeks as a reservist? I though it was 2 weekends, 1 week NMT100 then 2 weeks confirmation course at Raleigh.

I would absolutely not leave college for a reservist course. Qualifications you get at college will help you get a full time job when you leave, the RNR is just something on the side. Personally I would strongly advise staying in college, getting A levels then joining full time if that is your ambition. The RNR is always there when you leave, college only comes around once.
Thanks for the reply, i am just using the reserves to gain a little bit of experience before joining the regulars and if you are joining the regulars the reserves allow you to do a ten week course rather than split it up so i don’t have to do the sam training again when I go regular

Faded

Midshipman
Thanks for the reply, i am just using the reserves to gain a little bit of experience before joining the regulars and if you are joining the regulars the reserves allow you to do a ten week course rather than split it up so i don’t have to do the sam training again when I go regular
Ok fair one. Same advice as above though. Either leave college and do the Navy full time or stay in college and wait for the regulars when you are 18.

If I was 17 again and knew what I know now, I would probably join the RN rather than bothering with university. There are many opportunities open to you in the RN and perfectly possible to attain academic/professional qualifications. You can certainly sell that side to your parents if you were committed to joining the RN.

That said, a few things to consider -

What are you studying at college? Do you enjoy it? Would it be worth continuing in the reserves until you've finished your course?

Have you been in the reserves long enough to get enough of an idea that the RN is for you? Then again, Phase 1 training is very different to actually being in the fleet. Have you managed to talk to anyone who's "in"?

What is your contingency? What if you leave college, start INT at RALEIGH and don't complete it for whatever reason?

Is the transfer to ET(WE) guaranteed?

Why WE? What would make you a good engineer? How's your maths?
Hi thanks for the reply, lots of good points I hadn’t fully thought about yet I’ll have a look in my reserve unit to see if there is any ex regulars or someone at the AFCO that can help me answer some of these. As for maths I’ve got the GCSEs needed for a WE and I have always seen it from the AFCO point of view as one of the more ‘hands on’ role which was what I was looking for.

I’ll have a look in my reserve unit to see if there is any ex regulars
I'd be surprised if most of your unit's senior rates (i.e. POs, chiefs) aren't ex-regs. You ideally want to find one or two who transferred recently though. Talk to as many people as you can, you're in a good position to ask questions as a reservist.

GCSE maths and wanting to fix stuff is a good starting point - what's your understanding of what WEs actually do? (yes weapons are part of it but not the whole picture...)

GCSE maths and wanting to fix stuff is a good starting point - what's your understanding of what WEs actually do? (yes weapons are part of it but not the whole picture...)
I just have the basic knowledge that the AFCO and RN website have provided me with such as the whole preparing, maintaining and fixing the comms, electrical systems and obviously weapon systems on board. I think as you said my best bet would be finding an ex or current regular WE that can give me an honest and accurate view of the job.

Basically you're be repairing, maintaining and doing general upkeep on a range of things.
Sonar and Radar primarily, You'll also be taught how to clean and maintain standard personal weapons as SA80, GPMGs and their mounts, but you'll probably never fire one unless you get drafted to a small ship like HMS MERSEY or something.

You'll be taught glock 17 maintainence but wont use one except maybe if you're boarding party? If you're surface fleet then you'll have to do additional training for miniguns as well as 4.5 gun.

If you're a WESM then thats a whole other thing entirely.