Weapon engineering officer (colour deficiency worries)

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by daydreamingwill, Apr 8, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all, kinda new to the forum so please forgive me if I've posted in the wrong place or something etc :p . As the title suggests, I wish to join up as a weapon engineering officer. However I've known for some time I most likely have a minor red green colour deficiency. By minor I mean I can clearly see the difference between red and green from a distance as clearly as blue and yellow, as well as wiring with no problem. However, I've failed every Ishihara test I've ever taken. Does this completely rule me out for this position and if so what other jobs are ruled out as well if any? I've been to my local recruiting centre for a presentation but I was told the only way to know for sure is to have an official navy medical test when I join up. Can any one help enlighten me? It would be much appreciated :)
  2. Answered your own question.
  3. Fair enough comment tbh, but I was just wondering if anyone could just give me an early heads up if they have any experience or whatever.
  4. Eyesight standards

The minimum standards for uncorrected and corrected vision vary for different branches in the Royal Navy and are determined by RN medical staff. Whatever branch you are applying for, with the exception of Chaplain, your spectacle or contact lens correction must not be greater than +/- 6.00 dioptres. For Chaplains the correction must not be greater
    than +/- 7.00 dioptres. If you have impaired colour perception (colour blindness) this may restrict the branches that are available to you.

Your Careers Adviser will provide you with a form to obtain an eye examination at a nominated optician and the results will be analysed during your medical examination against the standards required for your chosen branch.

So, yeah, best you can do is cross your fingers and hope for the best.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2013
  5. Will

Colour Perception is graded and each job has a required CP score. The score needed for WEO is grade 4, which means that it isn't one of the high CP score jobs (such as Pilot, Warfare Officer GS), but this won't be of any help to you if you can't manage the CP4 level anyway.

Your eyesight will be tested early on in the application process and you will then know whether you have reached an acceptable standard. Having said that, as you believe that you have particular difficulties of a kind which may mean that you can't even reach the lowest standard for Naval entry and are thus ineligible for service, I would suggest that you 'phone the CAs at the AFCO and seek their advice about the possibility of starting with the eyesight test; that way, if you are truly ineligible, you will know sooner rather than later.

Numbers for the AFCOs here:

Careers Offices | Royal Navy
  6. Ah ok thanks thats really helpful :) . Like I said it's only the Ishihara test which I can't do, looking at CP on search CP 3 and 4 should be no problem for me. Thanks again and I will be sure to call up.
  7. That would be for the best, then at least you know any problems with your eyesight won't hinder your application.

One other thing which I would say to you is that, when it comes to the RT, the multiple-choice entrance test which covers Literacy, Reasoning, Numeracy and Mechanical Comprehension, WEO is a high score job, so put your heart and soul into preparing well for it.
  8. Ahh okay, I suck at tests like crazy :p . I'm guessing that in the process they will give me more info on the RT so I'll know what to revise?
  9. Oh fab, looks like with practice to make sure I'm quick enough it shouldn't be too hard. Not trying to come across as cocky or anything ;) . Ok thanks again soleil you've been a great help, hopefully I should feel a little less nervous when I go to join up now :)
  10. You're welcome.

Don't take success in the RT for granted, though. Have a look at the different sections and identify areas where you might wobble and try to iron out that possibility. I'm assuming that Mechanical Comprehension won't trip you up as it has done many people, but don't neglect the Reasoning or Literacy - you would be surprised how the most confident of candidates can suddenly be surprised ......

Have a look at this for later:

Also, start to identify times when you have shown leadership potential, as giving examples of this will be crucial.

Once the RT is done and dusted, start reading Navy News (W H Smith) to bring you up to speed on current deployments etc.

BTW, if you start now you are probably looking at November/February, so strike while the iron is hot.

That's enough for you to be getting on with, I reckon!
  11. haha I reckon too, thanks again.