Weapon engineer

This might be a stupid question but as a weapons engineer do you work on small arms as well as the ships weapons or would that be done by a rm armourer that is on the ship?

wave_dodger

MIA
Book Reviewer
This might be a stupid question but as a weapons engineer do you work on small arms as well as the ships weapons or would that be done by a rm armourer that is on the ship?
Rarely will you see an RM armourer step afloat, even on an LPD/LPH. The short answer is that WE will look after small arms afloat.

I was always under the impression WE's looked after the weapons and magazines and the dabbers (gunners) were the users and subsequently the cleaners? I think the WEs still take a grasp of the maintenance too.

While weapons obviously fall under the WE umbrella, I think you'll find the gunners do most, if not all, small arms maintenance.
Not on any of my ships.* All small arms maintenance was carried out by me and my team, (WE).
The gunners were just the custodians of the small arms.
There was a Small Arms Maintainers' course at Collingwood for ship's staff.

Maybe things have changed since 2001.

*General Service. Perhaps different on boats?

Not on any of my ships.* All small arms maintenance was carried out by me and my team, (WE).

My lad is on a 23 at the moment, and as the Gun killick WE has gone on draft without relief he now has all Small Arms and Close Range maintenance as acting local LETWE.
Could tell you in more detail but I have a new phone and have lost my WhatsApps history! :D

No gunners on boats so the TI and OA looked after the SA80's

After yours and Taztiffs posts, I stand corrected :)

No gunners on boats so the TI and OA looked after the SA80's

After yours and Taztiffs posts, I stand corrected :)
You are not too far off though. My last ship was as WEO of a MCMV and I initially had a WEM(O) as Small Arms Maintainer, when he went though I had a OM(MW) (actually, probably a better small arms maintainer then the WEM even though he was a muppet!)
(And said WEM did run off with my brothers wife.......... another story!!)

Small Arms maintenance is not technically demanding but it is rather time consuming and when you're dealing with dozens of weapons it can become bloody tedious.
Whenever possible I used to try to get the users involved. It was an interesting change for them and sped up the process for my team. Win/win.
For all its faults, the "great OM experiment" facilitated this arrangement quite well, especially when Task Book training was taken into account.

guns1969

Lantern Swinger
As an ex-QA1 I'll drink to that! Gunner's party, usually a GA2, looked after the small arms on the frigates I served on.
Best draft as an AB 2's rate, was an Ikara Leander, 40/60,s, Oerlikons and the small arms.
Had a Chief OA who didn't know his arse from his elbow, think I only ever saw him 3 or 4 times all the time I was on there.