Weakened Navy

I would have used the original heading but it appears to have been removed. Having been given a hard time regarding the state of the RN I was looking for support. Look what turned up in the Sunday Papers, that is the proper papers. We have a recently retired first sea lord saying that someone has to speak out about the "capability gaps in Britain's defences. If you don't we end up as a third world nation. If that is not good enough then there is always another proper paper with an interview with the retired Chief of the Defence Staff (Army) He was a non supporter of the carriers as it would have a distorting effect on the rest of the defence budget. But you make them work at the the expense of the rest of RN the RAF and the Army. I could go on. But unless you all have your heads in the sand, more money needs to be spent on the services. Herby endeth the lesson

I would have used the original heading but it appears to have been removed. Having been given a hard time regarding the state of the RN I was looking for support. Look what turned up in the Sunday Papers, that is the proper papers. We have a recently retired first sea lord saying that someone has to speak out about the "capability gaps in Britain's defences. If you don't we end up as a third world nation. If that is not good enough then there is always another proper paper with an interview with the retired Chief of the Defence Staff (Army) He was a non supporter of the carriers as it would have a distorting effect on the rest of the defence budget. But you make them work at the the expense of the rest of RN the RAF and the Army. I could go on. But unless you all have your heads in the sand, more money needs to be spent on the services. Herby endeth the lesson
The other thread is still there. I've seen the articles that you refer to. I thought they are just the articles that always appear when the services start jockeying for budget money at this time of the year. Same as all the public services.

Herby is a word used in Wales instead of Thus. Must ask Boris if he is willing to go 50/50 with the 350 million a week we get back when we leave the useless EU. 50% to the NHS so that they can pay those that run it even more and 50% to the defence budget so that we can some more ships to look after the carriers. Fat chance springs to mind.

So what is your actual point? You moan like a bitch, but don't seem to want any constructive discussion? Are the opinions of a forum going to change HM Treasury decisions? Absolutely not.

The Navy is changing; we don't need to operate in the Far East anymore, because it's not our problem. We don't need to have a Home Fleet, and other foreign fleets - because naval warfare has evolved and moved away from the old-fashioned 'ships of the line' outfits.

The capability gaps in Britain's defences come primarily from the RAF at the moment, and the lack of submarine-hunting aircraft. We are commissioning more A-boats already; they are more than capable of doing the job.

If you have some actual opinion to add to the debate, then I'm sure your opinions would be welcomed - but if you're just going to gripe, why not stick the Guardian comments section where most of your kind seem to dwell?

ratsroden

Lantern Swinger
So what is your actual point? You moan like a bitch, but don't seem to want any constructive discussion? Are the opinions of a forum going to change HM Treasury decisions? Absolutely not.

The Navy is changing; we don't need to operate in the Far East anymore, because it's not our problem. We don't need to have a Home Fleet, and other foreign fleets - because naval warfare has evolved and moved away from the old-fashioned 'ships of the line' outfits.

The capability gaps in Britain's defences come primarily from the RAF at the moment, and the lack of submarine-hunting aircraft. We are commissioning more A-boats already; they are more than capable of doing the job.

If you have some actual opinion to add to the debate, then I'm sure your opinions would be welcomed - but if you're just going to gripe, why not stick the Guardian comments section where most of your kind seem to dwell?
There can be a problem with Constructive Discussion in that if permitted unalloyed, it is in danger of becoming tediously pompous, turgid and bombastic .This is Rum Ration not the Lib Dems.

Seadog

War Hero
MOD EDIT:

This is Current Affairs. Try to keep the thread relevant, informed and civil. If not, more chopping will surely follow.

Seadog

War Hero

Not our problem? Kim Jong Un is just up the road from the dockyard where two of our Tide Class Tankers are being built. Even without the tankers, Mr Kim is a bit of a loose cannon if one is being kind. He's everyone's problem, certainly an Article 5 one if North Korea attacks the US.

Then there is the Five Power Defence Arrangement which although not a warfighting commitment, involves 4 of our non NATO allies in the Far East.

There are 3 Astutes at sea so far and that's taken - IIRC - 8 years from sea trials of ASTUTE to where we are now.

As for the rest of it, the geopolitical landscape can and does change faster than the Ministry, Industry and the Defence Lines of Development can.
(Stand fast certain UORs).

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Seb1664 UPO/Careers Office 1
M Joining the Royal Navy 29
S Blogs 1