Weak Eyes

Discussion in 'The Corps' started by Spartan, May 28, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi guys, I'm going to be joining up soon. But I have pretty weak eyes. I can only see third line up on the chart at the opticions. However, my vision cannot be corrected any better. They tried putting lenses in but I could not see any better.

I'm ok for driving and can see most things pretty well, but i can't see the bottom 2 lines with either eye. Is this acceptable for the Marines?

Thanks in advance. I've tried searching for info but can't find anything that says exactly what the standards are.

2. Re: Weal Eyes

Weal eyes? :cyclopsani:

Do you mean reel eyes or real eyes? Or can you get weals on your eyes!!! :slow: :twisted:

3. Re: Weal Eyes

Can anyone offer any info that is useful?

4. Re: Weal Eyes

Not here pal ^^^ silly buggers the lot. :afro:

5. Call 0800 28 29 30 they may be able to give you some new weal eyes

6. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

The only sure-fire way to find out is by contacting the AFCO & undergoing an eye test, rather than asking opinions.

Good luck.

7. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Re: Weal Eyes

I can, search the site, the search buttons near the top of the page, there are pages of questions and advice on this subject already

8. :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav:

9. Ninja_Stoker

Nice one Carl!

When do you graduate from uni again? :violent3: :whdat:

10. Re: Weal Eyes

Sorry Spartan, but it sounded like a wind up! What are weal eyes then?

Incidentally welcome onboard! Don't expect too much sanity here, though :lol:

Steve.

11. Am not in uni :la:

12. Ninja_Stoker

Well you should be :worship:

13. well am not lol :sign3:

14. Nonsense Carl, of course you're at Uni... the Uni of Life, the Universe and Everything (alias the RN... or you will be when you've joined) :biggrin:

:wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav:

15. Deleted by poster.

16. It just goes to show how right Hig and co are in their criticism of poor spelling! WEAK EYES, now that makes sense!

17. lol

18. I do love the wavs Carl, and in your honour I've started a new thread.

19. You're f'ucking kidding me?!?!?!??!?!?! Well that's my cunning plan foiled by a mastermind. You should be a detective.

Or did you consider I may have wanted to increase my chances on getting the info I need?

20. Okay then, here's some helpful advice:

Although I'm no authority on the matter, my Army Opticians' report had four segments which must be approved in order to stay on the selection process, and one of those was that corrected vision has to be 6/9 6/12. I think your 6/29 if you can only see the third line, however I'd thoroughly investigate this matter with your optician before getting an Army Eyesight form, as they charged me 7 quid to fill out, and then went and medically deferred me because of migraines on the say so of the GP.

The Royal Navy however, are much more straight forward. They'll pack you off to Dolland and Aitchison for test where you'll have to adhere to S1 (No/very low myopia), S2 (low myopia), (S3 low to high myopia), and OL (Outside limit- high myopia). I'm S3, and was S2 last year, but I'm good enough for a RM so I'm happy enough.

http://www.assoc-optometrists.org/uploaded_files/pdf/04-navy.pdf

Print off that compare it to the results your optician gives you. It says they're not allowed to discuss the results with you, but that's bone as far as I'm concerned and I just chatted away until they gave me a booklet with my current prescription in and sealed the RN form in an envelope.

Good luck.