Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

WE REALLY, REALLY NEED TO RECRUIT.

letthecatoutofthebag said:
would we really want to encourage lots of Ex RN to join the RNR as it is at the moment?

I can't see why ythe RNR would not want to encourage ex-RN to join? They would already be trained and can help to train NE.

Attitudes within the RN towards the RNR need to be changed but also the RNR must change their attitude to the RN.

I'm not sure that this is a very common opinion. It shouldn't matter if they're ex RN, RAF, TA or SCC. They all have something to offer, and we should welcome all into the fold.

I have to admit though, I've always considered the problem to be the RN not respecting the RNR, but after a few months on RR, there does appear to be a large minority of RN bashers in the RNR. Can't understand it personally, but I don't think it helps anyone.

bunnyjumper said:
letthecatoutofthebag said:
would we really want to encourage lots of Ex RN to join the RNR as it is at the moment?

I can't see why ythe RNR would not want to encourage ex-RN to join? They would already be trained and can help to train NE.

Attitudes within the RN towards the RNR need to be changed but also the RNR must change their attitude to the RN.

I'm not sure that this is a very common opinion. It shouldn't matter if they're ex RN, RAF, TA or SCC. They all have something to offer, and we should welcome all into the fold.

I have to admit though, I've always considered the problem to be the RN not respecting the RNR, but after a few months on RR, there does appear to be a large minority of RN bashers in the RNR. Can't understand it personally, but I don't think it helps anyone.

Don't get me wrong colleagues - I think the best thing possible for the RNR is more people transferring from the RN and indeed the other services or anywhere if they are going to be committed. RN guys bring that real understanding and experience which a lot of the "senior" members of the RNR lack. My concern is more of what they will experience when they arrive, the indecision, the lack of organisation etc etc so will they just leave even quicker leaving the RN with a continuing bad impression of the RNR. The time delay for instance seems unbelieveable. It takes months before the transfer happens. If 2SL wants this revolving door then no one can afford the months and months of going round and round in circles. Why on earth can't the RN leave on Friday (before midday of course) and be in the RNR on Monday???? Its not as though they don't have to give notice.

Navylark said:
My concern is more of what they will experience when they arrive, the indecision, the lack of organisation etc etc so will they just leave even quicker leaving the RN with a continuing bad impression of the RNR.

Perhaps if someone at the top would decide exactly what it is they want & fund & equip us to train properly for it, things might be better? :p

APN

We must all remember that there are good and by in bothe the RN and RNR.

I have seen some matelots who arent fit for the dole queue let alone serving HM. The same could be said about certain RNR's too. There are certain ratings at our place that i physically avoid goining on training weekends with because i just know there are going to be to many "RNR moments".

I would gladly welcome any RN chaps and chapesses into our ships company.

I have never met anyone in the RNR who does not welcome ex-RN personnel. The problem seems to lie in the bureaucracy that surrounds the transfer process, starting with not asking the most basic question 'Have you considered joining the RNR'. There does not seem to be active encouragement of ex RN to join the RNR.
As I understand it joining the RNR counts towards RFR commitment. Similar call-up liability, why not get paid for it?

Have just come back form a regional weekend....was a bod from ComMarRes down doing some PR type things..i.e photo shoots for a new RNR recruiting brochure.....apparently a new series of adverts for the RN are in the offing which detail the ability to join part time....and they are TV ad's apparently..!!

It seems we may be getting somewhere..but keep it up fellas with any luck we are being monitored and their lordships may be or have started to take notice!!

WarMonger said:
Have just come back form a regional weekend....was a bod from ComMarRes down doing some PR type things..i.e photo shoots for a new RNR recruiting brochure.....apparently a new series of adverts for the RN are in the offing which detail the ability to join part time....and they are TV ad's apparently..!!

It seems we may be getting somewhere..but keep it up fellas with any luck we are being monitored and their lordships may be or have started to take notice!!

Yep - I heard that from a completely independant source. Does that mean we all need to audition for the ads?? :wink:

However, I'll believe it when I see it.

I was also there on the regional weekend at St Athan. The weekend when we pottered about on boats with a camera shoved in our faces, being told NOT to smile.

I can understand that training should be a serious thing. However, people are not really gonna want to join with a load of miserable sods, looking like their not enjoying themselves!

Admittedly I did have a cracking weekend though.

Unfortionatly I spent the day at the US embassy queing for a visa for 5 hours and arrived back in southampton too late to attend, I will be away at sea for the other scheduled evenings in Nov and Dec, but hope to attend something when I return in April.

Rob

Azimuth said:
I was also there on the regional weekend at St Athan. The weekend when we pottered about on boats with a camera shoved in our faces, being told NOT to smile.

I can understand that training should be a serious thing. However, people are not really gonna want to join with a load of miserable sods, looking like their not enjoying themselves!

AGREED! :lol: :lol: was a cracking w/e.......the guy shoving camera in odd places tho was apparently taking phots for a new RNR brochure....so prehaps something for recruiting at last......was told that a few people were to be show-cased for the publication and they would be approached once the phots had been approved :? 8O
The no smiling rule was purely for "Steely" reasons 8O 8O , apparently we were responding to a simulated terrorist incident, or at least the aftermath....so prehaps smiling wouldn't be going on, but it was a glorious sunny day and we were doing naval stuff and not death by powerpoint...... :D :D

jesse650 said:
Azimuth said:

AGREED! :lol: :lol: was a cracking w/e.......the guy shoving camera in odd places tho was apparently taking phots for a new RNR brochure....so prehaps something for recruiting at last......was told that a few people were to be show-cased for the publication and they would be approached once the phots had been approved :? 8O

The no smiling rule was purely for "Steely" reasons 8O 8O , apparently we were responding to a simulated terrorist incident, or at least the aftermath....so prehaps smiling wouldn't be going on, but it was a glorious sunny day and we were doing naval stuff and not death by powerpoint...... :D :D

Yeah - shame SOME RTCs who shall remain nameless, closed the list 6 weeks before the weekend, thereby preventing many people attending, myself included. So much for being a regional weekend!!! Was looking forward to it aswell.

Mind you, it sounds like something good has come out of it all. It'll be interesting to see the finished product.....

CMR is very aware of the recruiting dilemma we are facing, and COs have been told to make recruiting their number one priority.

Personally i think we should spend more time recruiting at Football Grounds and colleges rather than at Universities etc. we need Lower Deck warriors or we will struggle to maintain critical mass.

The RNR is in no danger of collpasing numbers wise but we do need to recruit to ensure that we have a robust RNR in 5 to 10 years time..

Every RN rating/officer that leaves the service is given information in their leaving pack on the RNR and where their local unit is. For some weird reason Security clearance for RN transferees takes longer than normal Civvies. (yeah i know ).

The COI are in the process of producing new RN/RNR literature and were at a WUA recently taking phots of ratings at work.

I agree AFCOs must be open at Weekends and they must have one person who is a sme on the RNR, some are very good and some are not , Wildfire, President ETC have very good AFCOs.

FEEL FREE TO PM ME WITH ANY SPECIFIC DRIPS, I AM HERE TO WORK FOR YOU , MY EMAIL ADDRESS IS AVAILABLE JUST ASK ME

Latest Threads