WE qualifications

F35lightningsb

Midshipman
Evening,

I have read everything I can find about WEs online and asked around, the consensus is they don't do anything on board. Also do you actually get decent hands on engineering experience on board and engineering qualifications at ratings level?

I'm trying to move branch to one with better prospects and where I can get stuck in, I fancied WE but I don't want to loaf about, would it be best to go stoker?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated (this is isn't a wind up lol)

TLDR: Do WE ratings get decent experience and qualifications in engineering?

Sumo

War Hero
Yes to ME&WE, you will get hands on, but it takes time and training. To some extent also your attitude and luck of draft.

F35lightningsb

Midshipman
Yes to ME&WE, you will get hands on, but it takes time and training. To some extent also your attitude and luck of draft.
Ah thanks I thought that would be the case. I wish there was a way to get info that isn't generic recruitment guff. Do you know at all if you could realistically get decent electrical engineering experience as a WE or is just 'cleaning keyboards'

Seadog

War Hero
Ah thanks I thought that would be the case. I wish there was a way to get info that isn't generic recruitment guff. Do you know at all if you could realistically get decent electrical engineering experience as a WE or is just 'cleaning keyboards'
Instead of cleaning it, try using the bastard to Google

ETWE NAVY

Fcuk me, how hard was that?

Sumo

War Hero
Steward = wardroom servant! supposedly a branch this is to be binned?
Go speak to a recruiter face to face.

RabC

MIA
Very simple answer, as a WE you can go as far as you want and achieve as many qualifications as you want. There are several of us ex WE on this site, some general service and some SM. I believe that all of us (most probably) have no regrets and found very good jobs on civvy street once we left. You really don’t want to be too busy as this means the kits duff, quiet is good on the electronics side but if you get more involved with ordnance then it’s lots of hands on with things that go bang.

Sumo

War Hero
You will see from dates that engineering is a lifelong learning curve, I stopped almost 10yrs ago, I just do what the work require of me and what interests me but every day is a school day.

But the most important thing is, none of this is given, it is up to you to get up to speed and volunteer to progress in the navy, when you get onto courses it is again up to you, to put the effort in and pass. No pass no prizes. If you think you have finished school when you join the Navy think again

Qualifications gained whilst serving in Navy
BSc (HON) Open University
BTEC Professional Development Certificate Engineering,(Pneumatics, Hydraulics, Robotics) 1998
Health and Safety at Work (Bristol University) NEBOSH Cert Syllabus 1998
BTEC Higher National Certificate Engineering, 1986
BTEC National Diploma Electrical & Electronic Engineering,1985
Royal Navy Apprenticeship 1984 -1986
City & Guilds Workshops 1985
City & Guilds Prt II & Prt III Radar Comms & Electronics 1980
Royal Navy risk assessor
Royal Navy radioactive minor source supervisor

Qualifications post Navy
Chartered Engineer
MSc Systems Engineering Management 2009
Association of Project Managers (APMP) Qualification 2006
Requirement tracking tools user, DOORS & RTM 2003
Contract and Commercial Law (London School of Business), 1999

@dapperdunn can probably give you an idea as to what qualification are available as a steward?

I have never been unemployed , took a 3 month break but that was by choice.

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
You will see from dates that engineering is a lifelong learning curve, I stopped almost 10yrs ago, I just do what the work require of me and what interests me but every day is a school day.

But the most important thing is, none of this is given, it is up to you to get up to speed and volunteer to progress in the navy, when you get onto courses it is again up to you, to put the effort in and pass. No pass no prizes. If you think you have finished school when you join the Navy think again
Agreed.

Funnily enough just last weekend I found an envelope containing all my certificates and SCs - I had no idea how competent I was! (On paper at least!! ;))

However we were lucky in that, in' those days', the RN had aligned with the civvy qual boards so that we came out of (specifically Mech's course) with a load of VERY handy bits of paper. I also amassed some very interesting bits of paper from adquals and other courses, some came in handy, others could have come in handy.

In the RN there will always be another exam or qualification board to pass. In preps for coming outside, find out what your educational allowance is - if it still exists. Get sports qualifications - referee, judge, coach, instructor whatever.

Bottom line - it is down to YOU. The world is your lobster.

Sumo

War Hero
@SONAR-BENDER I forgot Judo Coach, Judo Referee and Rugby Coach all on the pusser
@F35lightningsb

You say mummy wants you to be a Steward, your life your career, I knew a W/E who went steward, selection officer said didn’t think he was suited, few months later back as W/E. A bowl of soup over an officer head, when he had complained about it 3 time, said he was suited to be a flunky?