We are in the wrong job..... Anyone fancy being an MP

Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by ukdaytona, Mar 28, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just found this on the BBC News site. Words cannot describe my contempt for these people. Its about time the 'Common Sense' party made a stand and stopped this constant waste of money.

'Members of Parliament are to vote on whether to give themselves £10,000 a year more to help them communicate better with their constituents. ' :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/6502331.stm

Comments please

2. Why can't they pay for it from their salaries, perks and allowances FFS?

Wait! Something is coming into my mind - something like . . . pigs . . . snouts . . . trough

3. ...........................................................................
    ................................. just burst a blood vessel :evil:

4. As to the original question as to whether I would like to be an MP. The answer is no, I still have my self respect.

5. I couldn't be an MP, in the famous words of Jim Carey, "I CAN'T LIE"!

6. This was mentioned in Hansard ages ago*. Has it taken the BBC this long to catch up? :shock:

*That's ages in political terms! :lol:

7. Isn't that close on seven million pounds?

8. I'd be an MP given a safe seat with constituents who didn't make me deal with too much daily post. The maximum London housing allowance (ACA) some of them are elibible for alone exceeds my pre-tax annual salary! Then there's Inner London Weighting of £2,613, almost £900 more than I get.

MP's current Pay and Allowances

9. They tried to vote themselves a 60% payrise and that was squashed (as far as we know...!!??) maybe this is the way to get more dosh for doing even less than some of them do now perhaps ?

If they want to 'communicate' better with us, their constituents, then the ideal way would be to talk to us, not down to us - unfortunately the average MP, once voted in, appears to think he/she is now a level above the rest of us, far more important and can therefore treat us with contempt.

Perhaps we ought to send a book/dvd of 'Animal Farm' - maybe that will enlighten them somewhat as to what can happen to those who get too far above themselves, but somehow I can't see any of them taking any notice of us, can you ?

And Mr Bliar has sacked the second person who could have brought them all to book.

Maybe the Portcullis could have a new motto - 'Publicus Cashus Givus Morus '

10. Lets all build a wall and then stand the feckers against it and use them as target practise at HMS Raleigh!!!!At least then they will be doing a worthwhile job!!!!

11. a Labour MP who was at school with me did one term in Parliament and retired with over 60K pension because his time working as a CS [quite a lowly job] was included in his years. As he remarked "I'm not going to turn it down am I?" His wife was employed as his secretary...........nice little earner!!!!!

12. talk about keep it in the family