Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Ways of communicating with family at sea

lh_0908

I have applied for UGAS (MESM) and just wondering what communication with family/ friends is like onboard an Astute-class submarine. I know a little about the familygram one-way communication, but is there any other ways to keep in touch, such as internet access or emails?

On my last boat, on the way back from deployment we could use e-mails, limited by the needs of the boat for the wt mast, apart from that it's zero contact. The 40 word famgrams are for bombers.

I believe that Bomber Familygrams are now 120 words once a week.

On an A or T boat familygrams have been used for boats on patrol in areas where raising the communications mast might be a bad idea, but where possible they will mostly have an email facility where emails are sent and received when surfaced or at Periscope Depth. (Operational requirements notwithstanding)

I believe that Bomber Familygrams are now 120 words once a week.

On an A or T boat familygrams have been used for boats on patrol in areas where raising the communications mast might be a bad idea, but where possible they will mostly have an email facility where emails are sent and received when surfaced or at Periscope Depth. (Operational requirements notwithstanding)
Spoilt these young sailors.
Phoned Night before sailed, if we knew when we were going, called when I got back.

Indeed Sumo! Down the Clyde, through the Cumbraes and then dive. Skipper opens "orders" and that usually meant a right turn, around the N.Coast of Scotland and eastwards...............
Three months later, surface and proceed through the Cumbraes and so to Faslane

Latest Threads