Waterloo

Discussion in 'Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy' started by Blackrat, Oct 22, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Now i know you Naval types prefer books about the seven seas and the adventures of Hornblower, but i highly recommend the following book about the battle of Waterloo:

The Battle - A History of the Battle of Waterloo

Author - Alessandro Barbero

Unlike many military history books, this one is readable. It's written extremely well and tells you the story from all three sides (British, Prussian and French for those not in the know). Give it a go. You might even learn something interesting!

2. And for the lightly fictionalised version, told from the pov of a British, French and Prussian soldier, try:

Iain Gale - 4 Days in June

Or, just read Patrick O'Brian though again - if you haven't even done it once yet, you should :wink:

3. The 1970's film "Waterloo" with Rod Steiger as Napoleon is a good film to watch if you can't be bothered to read books.

[​IMG]

4. Blackrat

I've never actually seen that film you know. I've heard it's quite good though.

Kinross - thanks for the tip mate. I'll give those books a go.

5. The overhead battle scenes are awesome, they used about 20,000 extras who were all Red Army conscripts, I don't know how they managed that.

6. Blackrat

Really? 20.000? Good lord. Cheers Wrecker. I may well get my butt down to HMV to get the DVD.

7. I find it remarkable that they named a battle after a London station.
    Nepotism 8O

The film is great, but you get to grips with the book and I'll guarantee you will not wish to stop reading.

Waterloo 1815 by Geoffrey Wootten. I read it whilst wagon driving and found I had extended my 45 minute break into 2 hours. That took some explaining.
    Crisp details of the battle, the book is crammed with facts and figures. 8)

8. Yeah apparently it was said that during filming the Director technically commanded one of the worlds largest Army Groups :p

The Book Blackrat mentioned is very good, as is Richard Holmes' Wellington: The Iron Duke which gives a good account of his life

9. I've just checked and I lied. It was 16,000 soviet soldiers, 2,000 cavalrymen and 50 circus stunt riders (and it was filmed in the Ukraine hence the soviet input) and was classed as the 7th largest army in the world during filming. Sorry to bore you but it's one of my fave films :D

10. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

And Abba sung a song about it all? Awesome book. :notworthy:

11. Wasn't she the blonde bird in "The Champions"?

12. The film is one of mine and my dad's all time favourites.

The footage is amazing for it's time and the fact it's not computerised back then makes it even more an amazing film.

13. and won the 1974 eurovison song contest with it to. But the book looks good and film was ok about err the battle of Waterloo.

14. Quick dit from a recent visit to Wellington's Museum at Apsley House No.1 London.

http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/daysout/properties/apsley-house/

The then Duke of Wellington gathered his friends and family to watch this Queen's Coronation Procession from that balcony.

As the Royal Coach passed below those worthies raised their glasses to toast HM QE 2 ........ with the last of the Madeira Wine bought and laid down by the then plain Arthur Wellesley during his service in India (1797 to 1805).

If you ever have a spare couple of hours in London it's well worth a wee visit - Absolutely packed with all manner of gizzits from the grateful folk across all of Europe.

Bob

15. I have the film and love watching it now and then. I loved studying the Napoleonic war period a great deal when I was secondary school and still love most things to do with it and have read many books and also visited the battleground when I was in Belgium.

I always used to romanticise about joining the Scots Greys and that cavalry charge in the film always sends shivers up my back, such brave and also foolish charge in all honesty. I can remember reading somewhere that Lord Ponsonby who led the charge died exactly the same way his father did some years before.

I have a print of the painting 'Scotland Forever' by Lady Butler up in my house.

16. Apolgies for going OT, which Kindle have you got Jimbo? Is it the latest one and if so how do you find it?

17. Thanks for the review. Been considering getting one as I really dont have the space anymore for books but I love reading (yeah yeah I know its a rare trait in a scouse) :p

18. You must read your statements after the plod have written them!!!

19. Cheers for the response Jimbo, was looking at getting the mrs one - your double thumbs up and cheesy grin will do me...