Waterloo by Gordon Corrigan

Discussion in 'Competitions' started by Ageing_Gracefully, Jun 18, 2015.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ageing_Gracefully

Ageing_Gracefully War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

To mark the 200th anniversary of the Battle of Waterloo, we have three paperback copies of Gordon Corrigan's excellent book about Waterloo. The book has recently been released in paperback in time for this anniversary.

The competition can be found here: Waterloo

This competition will run until Sunday 28th June.

Corrigan's book has been reviewed, very favourably, on ARRSE by untallguy. The review can be found here: Waterloo Review.

[​IMG]

2. Good one.

Entered.

Not got one for a battle that was 210 years ago though? ;-)

3. Cheers Dredd,

Was worried about one of the answers, mind now rested :)

btw I'm in :)

4. Done. Happy days.

5. Done should have worked harder at school

6. Diddly done

7. Cancel my entry, I've already got it in hardback. I didn't recognise it at first as the cover is different on the hardback book and he's expanded the title slightly.

8. Wot Sumo said! :)

• Like Like x 1
  9. Got on the 1815 to Waterloo

10. Ageing_Gracefully

Well looks like getting on the 1815 to Waterloo has helped!!

Once again there will be wailing in the ether and tears on 'tinterweb, but three very lucky people have come up trumps in this competition and they are:

@skid2

@fang_farrier
    @Stokers-Plaything

Well done.

The answers, which most got correct are:

Q1 The Greys captured one Eagle at Waterloo, the other was captured by The Royal Dragoons (1st Dragoons)

Q2 Waterloo actually consisted of four main battles over three days, the one that was not part of this Campaign was Oudenaarde which was over 100 years earlier (1708)

Q3 At the time of the Battle of Waterloo, Belgium was part of The Netherlands and did not become a country in its own right until 1830, recognised by other countries in 1839.

Next competition for a nice bit of historical fiction will be up in the next day or so.

11. See Wrecker you did not win any way, my guess is this one was to hard and you bottled out?

AG are you sure they are the right answers, I am sure mine were different to yours?:)

12. Ageing_Gracefully

Whether I got them correct or not, I refer you to the Rulz at the start of this forum!! :p

13. That’s just your get out of gaol card:rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  14. Ageing_Gracefully

You ain't wrong, Sugar!

• Like Like x 1
  15. I think you hit "post reply" before you were finished.

Fixed.

16. I'll hire out the hardback copy to you for a modestly extortionate amount ( and which I won on here as it happens) :)

17. Extortionate rate it would be, as the speed I read books at, I would have to take it on an annual subscription. Plus I do not get time to fart never mind read books, there never seems to be enough time to fit everything in these days, I think my get up and go has got up and left?

18. Arrived this morning ,Thanks Again AG.

19. Did the Americans turn up late Waterloo and claimed victory?

• Funny Funny x 2