Watches

pipwjh

Midshipman
Some may deem this post stupid but I thought I best ask. My Raleigh date is creeping closer and my PRNC closer still! I read that your not allowed smart watches. I currently have a fitbit blaze fitness watch. I have been using it to monitor my fitness on the build up to Raleigh. Does this fall into the category of smart watch? Also I don't think it is water proof so if it doesn't fall into smart watch would anyone advise not using it due to that reason? Any advice would be great. Cheers.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Do you have a link to any official reference source with regard smart watches? I've honestly not heard that one.

Not saying it isn't likely, just not heard it before.

I often advise people to buy an inexpensive digital watch because of the rigorous demands of training, such as a Casio F-91W but that's just to save heartache if it gets damaged or pinched. Garmin type navigational aids are a 'no-go' for field exercises as you need to master map & compass.

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
My smart watch is a Rolex - Submariner obviously!

Back in the day absolutely every one had them darling! Black lighting at PD? 'Turn those bloody watches down'!!

Wightsparker

War Hero
How on earth did we all manage before smart watches? Or even before watches?
In the old days, all you had to remember was: "If you want to know the time, ask a policeman."

Discuss?

Trainer

War Hero
Book Reviewer
You are not be allowed to use a Smart watch for fitness testing, for example a Rockport walk. No that it will worry a young shaver like yourself.

Just for shits and giggles I recently wore my Blaze and the official Garmin and Chest strap on my last test, to see if there was a difference. There was a substantial difference in Heart Rate (Blaze 10 bpm lower).

Some Fitbits will port GPS and can be used to track navigation (Blaze Ports GPS through your mobile phone0

One good reason not to have flashy consumer electronics in a messdeck in basic, is that they could get nicked.

By the way, the thrashing you're about to get you'll be lucky if you end up knowing what day it is, never mine telling the time...

Best of luck :D

Sumo

War Hero
misses has given up buying me watches, I break them. Not warn a watch for years, I wake up in the morning ticker must be working, I am alive. Need to run for a bus? Taxi. Heart is pounding in my ears, stop reading Billy's favourite thread. Honestly youngsters, any new gadget you can be conned into having it becomes the latest thing you must have. Get a life and go gadget less it won't kill you?

Last edited:

Wightsparker

War Hero
Just for shits and giggles I recently wore my Blaze and the official Garmin and Chest strap on my last test, to see if there was a difference. There was a substantial difference in Heart Rate (Blaze 10 bpm lower).

Some Fitbits will port GPS and can be used to track navigation (Blaze Ports GPS through your mobile phone0

:D
Trainer - I reckon yours is probably a helpful post to the OP.

But - and I appreciate it's my own fault - I don't understand what the f**k you are talking about.

Sumo

War Hero
not sure what's worse being in the dark like you pair or admitting I know what Trainer (spotter) is talkin about, even though i dont have any of that stuff. Well not totally true my son brought me somfin that looked like a space age watch, that could tell me if I was dead or alive 2 Xmas ago, it did not fit so never wore it?

pipwjh

Midshipman
Is this watch deemed as a smart watch?

simple.b-cssdisabled-png.h52d2e66771c4932ae99914c898514bb8.png
Just this is my current watch but if unsuitable I will have to invest in another watch.

Latest Threads