Watch preferences (Shift not timepiece)

Discussion in 'Diamond Lil's' started by 2_deck_dash, Jun 9, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Personally I always used to like the Forenoon/First on the bridge. Cheeky bit of watchkeeper's scran, chilled out forenoon while everyone else is digging out, then a relaxing afternoon down the mess and watching the sunset on the bridge wing during the first with a goffer.

Good times.

2. The middle. Stokers dishing out the pot mess from last nights leftovers.

3. Why does pusser's bacon always smell of fish?

WTF?

4. Long morning all the way.

5. I prefer being a dirty day worker :twisted:

6. Morning, after domestics going up top and letting the upper trot have abreak for an hour or two.

The peace and still at around 5 or 6 before the noise and hustle of the day 8)

7. Fixed that for you. :lol:

8. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

I much prefer working nights; not poxy 4-hour watches but a full-on 12-hour night shift. You can get more work done, usually in scruffs/pirate rig and get left alone by the dayworking faggots. And it's a great feeling going to bed, knowing that everyone else is turned to..!

When I was at MDC in Gibraltar, we worked 7 days followed by 7 nights (12 hour shifts). Come the end of the shift cycle your body clock was screwed, and I often found that I was staying awake until 0400, becoming lethargic and pasty from lack of air and sun. However the only way I could break the cycle was on completion of the final night shift, the whole watch would tootle off from work into town at 0800 on our knackered scooters and Rock Runners, and go to "The Captain's Cabin" in Piazza Square. It transpired that they had a "Happy Hour" from 0600-0900 for the council workers/taxi drivers, etc., so the night watch keepers would exploit this and smash the feck out of the Guinness, JCs and bacon butties (made by the buxom wench behind the bar) before stumbling back to 4Cs/Devil's Tower Camp around 1400. We'd crash and burn fully clothed, sleep through the evening and night, waking up next morning at a normal time but with a baggy head.

I'm sure Angrydoc will concur that this is not conducive to a healthy lifestyle, but it certainly got your body clock back in synch with the rest of civilisation! :oops: :wink:

9. :p

The once or twice I've done DHP, it was a good laugh, I like being fed before everyone else :D

10. sgtpepperband

DHP is the best skiving job in the world!! You work 4 hours a day, get three days off a week, and access to as much toast, 'baby sick' and Bavarian smoked sausage as you can handle... :lol:

11. All night in, every night does it for me

12. Clearly you've never served on an RFA. It's basically the same as you have described but without having to ditch other people's shit and you only have to work 3 hours a day. :D

13. sgtpepperband

Hmm, I didn't think ANYBODY worked on RFAs?! 8O :D

14. Sorry I should have made myself more clear, 'work' is a general term that I use for any period of time when I am not in bed.

15. sgtpepperband

...so getting bladdered ashore in a whorehouse in Montevideo is "work"?! :p

16. Only if you're on top....

17. I used to work 12 hour shifts 4 days on 4 days off, alternating nights/days.

On the plus side, 4 days leave got you 12 days off work. On the downside, everything else. Oh, except that on night shifts it was only two techs working so we could do basically anything. I don't think any night shift saw me wearing trousers for more than an hour.

18. I think that needs an explanation 8O

19. Two rules I've lived by:
    Always sleep when you get the chance.
    Always take your trousers off when you get the chance.

So far, they've served me quite well.

20. Just wish all you noisy watch keepers could have kept it quite. Crashing into the mess any time of day or night.

No respect for us Woo's trying to sleep!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: