Waste of Taxpayers Money

Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by geoffg, Jan 8, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ever Googled "The Navy List" ??
    I was amazed at the number of officers we keep on the books. The Queen has umpteen surgeons, physicians, commodores, aides etc just as a starter.
    geoff(ers) :nemo:

2. ^_^;

Careful Geoff. Anymore of that talk and you'll get accused of being a Norm. ^_^;

3. Hello Norman! I see you've been eating too much custard again ;) The Queen has umpteen surgeons because she has umpteen things wrong with her. She needs lots of Commodes because she has lots of rooms in her glorified council house and cannot reach the heads quickly enough! :;) :biggrin:

Oops, did you say Commodoors?

Better make my own way to the Tower. I hope the axe is sharp!

4. 's funny that!! My mother used to call me Norman

5. 's far as I know ADC's don't get any extra dosh, just extra braid (for tying up the horses, apparently).

6. Usually people are complaining about the RN being too small!

And before people start mouthing off about Queen's Honorary Physicians and Surgeons, do a bit of research into what the title actually means (in reality, very little).

7. Actually have just reminded myself this thread is entitled "Waste of Taxpayers' Money" - is this trying to get a bite?

There are lots of things that are a complete waste of money. Queen's Honorary Physicians / Surgeons and ADCs are very low on the list of "waste" - and I think you will find that, compared to most other things, they "waste" very little.

8. The RAF - biggest waste of money on the books!

9. The Queen's doctor bit was just an example from the first few pages of a massive list of officers which I'm sure could be reduced in the interest of VFM, which the government keep harping on about

10. Sorry, but unless you are of noble birth, then you don't get the chop just the drop!

11. The Monarchy itself, a huge waste of money!

12. There used to be a Captain Engineer in the RNR in Bristol back in the mid 80s (before anyone asks why a Captain was necessary, he was head of the Engineering Branch for the whole RNR), who was appointed Honorary ADC to the Queen, who when asked what that meant, said he wasn't really sure, but maybe if her car broke down when she was in bristol, he would have to fix it!

I'm not sure he ever actually met the Queen apart from at something like a Buck House Garden Party.

The honorary surgeons/ ADCs etc are not borne for those duties, they have other 'normal' jobs and as stated the only real cost is for the Gold Braid!

13. The actual cost to the taxpayer for these "ceremonial" positions is virtually nil and you must consider the free publicity and good will the forces get - not to mention the networking that goes on. In RNR terms, the CO of a local Division dealt with the local councils, universities, colleges, schools etc. and generally spread the good word and did a lot of useful PR work for free. What is wrong with that?

I came across a Surgeon Captain (D) in London who was the best toothwright out. Civy dentists said his work was excellent. Why was he there? To run Dental Branch AIBs, look after senior MOD based staff etc. etc.

If this is not from Norm, it is from Norm 2!

McC

14. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

Chaps need to understand that these titles are just honorifics on top of the day job. You'll find these bods elsewhere in the Navy List doing normal jobs appropriate to their substantive rank.

15. Sounds like the House of Lords to me! ;)

16. How about the thousands of pen pushers arses in the MOD

17. How about human rights lawers.Keeping convicted Terrorists in our ..our country .They shoud hang there heads in shame.

18. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

Oh for fcuksake....This gets repetitive. Learn to live with it and abuse it. I did a job in a fairly well known public house that the queen lives in and nicked the gravel to put in house plant pots because I liked the unique colour.

Why is everyone so scared of PC and being themselves?

19. But it pis///me off.How about you.

20. Lots of things p!ss me off, half-baked ill-informed whinging being one of them.