Waste of money? Discuss!!

Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by killikgolly, Jun 12, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Does anybody know how much the Navy spends each year on the various spors teams they seem to have. Am I the only one who thinks that with budget restraints and manpower shortgages having football/rugby/cricket/ice hockey/bobsleigh etc etc teams is a bit of an extravagence we could probably live without.

2. Think you may have opened a potential big can of worms. I also think you'll get a few interesting answers.

I would suggest that they are great PR for the RN and also a good advert of what a career can offer you.

What would happen to Wednesday Sports M&M's ??

SM

:nemo:

3. Tell that to those of us who played sport in the Service and were proud to represent our Service against the others at anything from the recognised sports as per the Manual to uckers/ten pin bowling/submarine olympics that we were an extravagance.
    I take it you were one of the sort who on a sports make and mend, went to the pictures and fell asleep after the Tom and Jerries, while the rest of us were getting soaking wet on the Brickfields in weather that would make the monsoon seem like a diddy shower, kicked up in the air by Plymouth City Police/Assorted Marine outfits/Co-op milkmen and then on Thursday morning ask "How did the sport go yesterday ?" and not understand why we always answered "Shit hot", win or lose.....................

4. Er teamwork, fitness, incentive for recruitment, free advertising and gives the Army someone to beat in Rugby. :thumright:

5. I would suggest that with budget restraints and manpower shortgages etc. that it is all the more important to maintain these sorts of things. What's the point in saving a bit of money if you have an unhappy workforce and one less incentive for them to stay in?

I think it is more common for low morale to be caused by lack off appreciation by the employer than lack of money IMHO.

6. Says the fat couch potato

7. silverfox

silverfox War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Apparently the answer to your question is 'yes'.......

And on the grounds that this is going to generate a general debate, this topic is being transferred to the QD.

8. We were discussing this at work the other day after we saw in 'Soldier' magazine that the Army, in its infinite wisdom has spent £250,000 on a new yacht, now I am an RYA level 5 qualified sailor with offshore skipper qualifications and love sailing as much as the next man but get a grip!. I can imagine the meeting now:

Percy: So then Sir, when are we getting these new boots/body armour/bullets that we need for fighting the Taliban/Mardy Army?

Occiffer: Well, er, the thing is young Jones...erm, we seem to have overspent on a little boat thingy that kind of lets us Occifers go on Joillies all around the globe at public expense. So therefore, unfortunately, what what, you will just have to carry on wearing those flip flops, stuffing 'Soldier' magazine down the front of your Combat thingies and throwing stones at those horrible people.

Surely spending 250K on something, that to their own acknowledgement will only see 10 years service.

It even goes on to say that the real secret behind the boat is 'The sheer hard work and dedication of her crew. On top of cleaning and maintenance duties, the squad spend several hours each week practising their racing skills and drills on the water'

Oh well eh, better than getting shot at I'm sure. What a smack in the face for the poor grunts who are reading it in Afghan/Iraq.

In this issue their are also articles on Rugby, Fencing, Boxing and Basketball, in addition to the dates given out for the following fixtures: Angling, Athletics, Canoeing, Cricket, Cycling, Equitation, Golf, Martial Arts, Polo, Rowing, Shooting (Not adventurous type - no desert here), swimming and water polo. All no doubt paid for from the budget.

Seems Percy has it a bit rougher than us.

And don't forget that all 3 Services will be paying our sporting elite to train for the Olympics - Value for money Eh? Talk about letting all the money spent training these people go to waste.

:angry4: Ducks for cover and stands by for inbound :angry4:

9. The RNSA also have boats at its disposal... oops, I mean yachty things, but these can be hired by all members who are a mix of ossifers, ratings, ex-reservists and the odd oddball (me :oops: ).

I always thought the sport fare was one of the joining benefits promoted by the forces as a way of enticing newbies to join-up. Reducing expenditure of this might prove a false economy. Now a better way of saving money would be to abolish the socially out-dated Wardroom. Officers could share messing facilities with their crew and sell off the Wardroom silver. :twisted: Alternately if less public money went of paying for MPs nannies the money could be used by the forces instead, but we all know that won't happen. How about a Sponsor a Sailor campaign. Members of the public could adopt a matelot and raise money to buy him/her the kit they need.

I'll sponsor Nutty.

Head down, awaiting flak. ^_^;

10. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

CIA: I am also a Navy sailor, having worked on many RN-owned boats in Sailing Centres in Clarence Yard and Whale Island. At both locations I worked with members of the Army Sailing Association.

The main difference is that the Army fund their sailing acitivites on a Regimental level. They receive contributions from ASA and from their Regimental Sailing Associations which often have many current and ex-serving members of that particular Regiment. Some of the larger Regiments/Corps have more members than the RN has matelots, so it is proportionate - they have more money to spend. However the RN establishment yachts are generally funded by Central Amenities Funds, with additional funding from Service charities and the RNSA, and all with Committee approval.

A good example of the difference between the two organisations. While working as the Bosun on board Sea Nymph II, which was HMS Dryad's yacht (and thus owned by the CAF at Dryad), working at the Army Yacht Shed, next to the old Regulating School on Whale Island. I was tasked to source and manufacture materials for a complete set of racing rigging. I had to visit all the local chandlers in Portsmouth and submit quotes from each. The CAF Committee would convene some weeks later, consider my costs and release the funds to allow me to buy the goods from the cheapest (but not necessarily best) option. And I could not pay for it myself and submit the receipt for reimbursement - I had to ring a Committee member whilst in the shop and ask the shop assistant to confirm the amount, and the Commitee member would give payment details from the CAF Fund! Most of the tools and equipment I used were borrowed from Army colleagues and friends at the Command Sailing Centre down the road, opposite HMS Bristol. The rigging was made in my own time, and obviously I could not charge for labour!

Although I didn't mind doing it, as I loved the job, I often felt very ashamed to charter the yacht to personnel, because of the state of the boat and its equipment (usually handed down from a network of retired sailing enthusiast Naval Officers). The crew wet weather gear was... wait for it... Pusser's blue foul weather clothing and General Service Life Jackets! Fine for keeping spray off your face, but not ideal for being exposed on cross-Channel voyages!

Coincidentally, the same week I was making the racing rigging my Army colleagues (Royal Fusiliers, Light Infantry and Royal Engineers) were getting their boats ready for an exped they were replacing their crew kit. The Bosun of the "Bold Fusillier" just casually picked up the 'phone and rang the ASA Colonel to ask for funding. He had seen a two-piece Helly Hansen for about $300. And he wanted 8 sets! I was expecting the Officer to shout and scream at him. But no: "Send me the bill and I'll have the money in your bank by the weekend!"

8O :oops: :roll:

11. Reminds me of the RNXS... though we did have some very well heeled people in London Unit. :biggrin:

12. Ah the wardroom, an old chestnut rears its head. Just consider for a moment what you're advocating there. "socially outdated"? about as much as the WO&SRs mess, the killicks mess (which is quite a new concept in shore establishments) and of course, the damn jrs' mess. Because getting rid of the entire structure would solve all the problems wouldn't it. Everybody, at some time or another, needs to hide from either their superiors or the people they have to command.

Half the opposition would come from the lower deck- it's not officers trying to be socially superior, it's everyone having their own space and not having to live on top of each other any more than they already do in the confined space of a warship.

Oh, and one more thing, when I was working in NELSON all the SLAM accomm for the JRs had been finished and they were all ensuited up. I spent a year in the WR East annex transit accom with 1 shower between 25- and that was one of those shower head over the bath jobs. Oh, and no tv or internet sockets in the rooms like they had over the road. Chandeliers in the day room were nice though.

NELSON WR must have been very expensive to run I agree- but the extra food was of course paid for by EMC and the vast sums lavished on the fabric were more to stop the place collapsing round our ears and deal with the asbestos I suspect.

Not trying to make people's hearts bleed, just pointing out that even in the so-called premier wr in the fleet the grass was a hell of a lot greener if you were an OM2 than if you were one of the so-called privileged elite.

Anyway, yachts, pusser's usually a bit gash, perce's guccied up to the nines.

13. You bit! :dwarf: