Wasp over Pompey??

Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by Spidiver, Aug 10, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Today took Mrs Spidiver and the junior Spidivers down to Pompey for a rather jolly time. Whilst doing the little Blue Boat round the dockyard cruise I'm sure I saw a Wasp helo flying over towards Gosport.

Does Pusser even own a picture of a wasp let alone a real life airworthy one, or maybe it's a civvy? anyone know

Cheers

2. There are 6 Wasps still flying in the UK. The first two in these photos are based in Andover, the third one is based in Dorset, you might have seen one of these.

G-BYCX001Wasp.jpg

G-CBUI002Wasp.jpg

G-BZPP001Wasp.jpg

The Examples Still Flying

Last edited: Aug 10, 2011
  3. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

I flew in the last operational one in '87, during a CROSSPOL between HMSs Bristol, Rothesay and Euryalus. I saw a very well preserved Wasp at the Sultan Show a few weeks ago too.

However, I was most concerned when I saw an Apache flying low over my house near Stokes Bay on Monday..! :shock:

4. Possibly promoting the new diving museum at Stokes Bay?

(Any excuse =) )

5. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Haha, possibly NG! I visited there a couple of weeks ago; very informative display, and I had a good natter with the voluntary staff there (inflated the coffers by buying a few gizzits too...) :thumbup:

6. Last edited: Aug 11, 2011
  7. Scouse - Your second photo shows 424 which was HMS Minerva's Wasp in the Windies in 1975.

HMS Minerva in Windies 1975 m med.jpg

8. :laughing2: Nice one NG ....Who is the old and bold aircrewman dangling out of the back???? hope he has his dispatcher harness on!!!:sleepy2: Ps why no strike sight??

Last edited: Aug 11, 2011
  9. Scouse - Don't ask me. I just used the widget to work out the right course and speed for launch/recovery and said, "OOW approved". I was also given the occasional lift ashore/to other ships for liaison duties.

10. :-D OH!!! A Mark44 and an SS11