washing?

Discussion in 'The Gash Barge' started by ship_rat, May 23, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. hi
    washing? like so many people, I have been brought up to using a washing machine :oops: I guess there is no washing machines on ships /submarines, for 1 of 2 reasons i can think of. 1) water consumption 2) space (ie lack of). please correct me if I am wrong!
    so I fear, its back to hand washing 8O ... does any body have any hints, tips or even a guide! I would be most greatfull as I have never really hand washed clothing before. I would like to give it a go before I get to basic training!

thanx
    ship_rat

2. (Oh God i hope this isn't a bite!) Everyone uses the Dhoby Wallahs matey.

Put yer shitty knicks in at oh-eight-bike wheels and you can pick them up at lunchtime :)

Not been washed of course, but sprayed and ironed nicely ;)
    Oh, and you pay for the privilege too, think its about £1.50 per pair of jeans ;)

3. no mate this not a bite, I promise! the question arises after watching the HMS Raleigh video at the AFCO and reading my joining instructions.
    do you get issued a Bhoby bag?
    thanx
    ship_rat

4. As far as I remember Raleigh is hand washing only.
    But these days everyone gets a net bag (I think) :)

5. Jeez, back when i was in boot camp, all our washing had to be done by us with a scrub brush.

lay the item down on a porous surface, put the soap on, and scrub like your life depended on it. try to only scrub hard only where there's stains, and avoid scrubbing to hard on the seams (underwear and other delicates will come apart if you do this). Be prepared to never have quite clean gear, as doing it while your Drill Instructor supervises is not very fun and quite stressfull. If you don't have one of those, expect the laundry to take quite a long period of time more than a washing machine would take.

6. Dhobeying... naval style in the days of yore... Notice: no central heating in those days. However its all changed since Lamri was photographed below! :wink: :lol:

[​IMG]

7. What? No galvanised fancy Dhoby Buckets and a bar of Pussers Hard.

What a shower of poofters.

8. Don't worry Ship Rat,

Your Divisional Staff at Raleigh will show you how to scrub and iron your kit.

You should only need to scrub during Phase 1 training. When you get to sea, as Lamri says, the Dhoby Wallahs will do it for a price. Although to save money, you can take your knicks & socks in the shower with you.

Thriller can even wear his knicks in the shower if he wants to hide anything :wink:

9. That shouldn't be allowed! A black rubber burqua would do nicey nicely instead! :lol:

10. Oo-er! I was going to suggest a rubber sock 8O

11. If you only get one sock back from the Dhoby Whallers, dont complain or throw it away, it will come in "handy" as your best friend later.

It's not known as a monosock for nothing

12. Groan - it's the love sock thread all over again. :lol:

SF

13. Sorry, my fault :p

14. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Back on thread:
    A coupla pointers:

Generally speaking you wash smalls by hand at Raleigh & onboard.
    All other stuff is by machine. Think you get £17 deducted from your first months wages for laundry bill.

But, and it's a big but, you need to practice ironing before you join. Fail your kit muster twice & it's Goodbye.

You'd be surprised how many people have had the shame of telling their mates they lost their job because they couldn't iron their clothes.

15. Well NJS, I`ve heard some things in my time, they dont teach them to iron anymore? and you can get chucked out for that? If you fail a Kit Muster twice, then , surely theres something wrong with the Instructors?

16. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

From my experiance you will need to know how to dhobi yer rig, I was a bootie and we had to wash everything by hand during basic, buy a good scrubbing brush (hand held) and some coat hangers...(go visit M&S, Next, gap etc and nick them from the changing rooms)

I found that whilst on board some gambling mad china dhobi walla washed and ironed me kit, and also plastered my service number all over the shoulders of my service dress.....looked so fetching in stone shirts... learn to sort yer self out then pay some chinky to do it for you

17. Or you could join as an Orrifcer and get some Flunks to do it all for you.

18. Not in the navy I was in we had a laundry that was open to all. In fact in SSNs the laundry was extremely democratic, it never seemed to actually remove the dirt just share it arround. Anything white just came back greyer each time it was washed.

19. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

PMSL....labour gov at the time?

20. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

:lol:
    Hig they do teach them to iron, it's more a case of whether they bother to learn- some don't manage it in basic training.

Recruits who consistently fail kit musters in training do eventually get "invited to leave". It's always been the case. It's just that nowadays a lot of youngsters, particularly lads, seem to be so cossetted by Mum, that they arrive clueless- we have to tell them to learn, even though they are taught again in Raleigh.