Was it a mistake to apply to be a rating?

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by SRT1, Sep 28, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I know that, with only 2 weeks to go before Raleigh, I'm asking this question incredibly late. However, I didn't think to ask it here before now.

I've completed the application process to enter as a MA(SM) and I go for basic training in a couple of weeks. When I was going through the application process it was suggested several times that I go in as an officer, the problem was that, because I was doing a degree in Biochemistry the AFCO said that it didn't sound medical enough (even though it's very similar to Biomedical Science) for me to apply for a medical officer position but other officer positions could be applied for with a degree in Biochem.

In the end I stuck to my original decision and applied to be a MA(SM) because the job is something I really want to do. When I went on the RNAC I was again asked why I didn't apply for direct officer entry, in fact, I was told by one person, in no uncertain terms, to go back to my AFCO and reapply to be an officer.

From what I currently know, what I'm currently doing seems like the right course of action, I'm just concerned there's some significant fact I've missed.
  2. To be a Medical Officer, you need a medical degree (as in Bachelor of Medicine and Surgery) - nothing else will do I'm afraid.
  3. Go with your gut feeling, if it is what you want to do then do it
  4. Does the Navy have a university entrance scheme for MO's
  5. Thank you for definitely ruling out Medical Officer. It seemed more like they wanted medical sounding degrees when I was looking into the possibility.

Thanks for the reassurance Malspal.
  6. I'm not doing another few years at Uni. Even with the bursaries you can get my bank balance still couldn't take it.
  7. I bet that few could top you for your knowledge on the Anatomy & Physiology of the female form :wink: