Was Colonel 'H' a mad fool? Part 2

Discussion in 'Diamond Lil's' started by slim, May 12, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Almost word-for-word what I've heard from surviving members of A Company. Sounds like an entirely fair assessment to me.
  2. Ego is a strange thing
  3. No question,to much public school gung-ho.Remember at Aden my Bootie mates[from my village]were pinned down[I'm wasn't a bootie but was on the Chichester there]
    the officer in charge ordered them to charge over 200 yds of killing ground,off he went and he was the only one and did not last.Mates said the Sargies tried to tell him but he would not listen.
    Pure madness and it's installed in some mindsfrom school and Kipling
    H was wrong not to take out the position with missiles as this Para said,and it cost lives.
    Also who was the fool who left the ships exposed all day and suceeded in wiping out a lot of Welsh Guards?far as I know he has not stood up.
    Lions led by donkies although a lot of them very brave but no common sense.
  4. I heard a very similar version of events from two lads from 2 Para in September '82, in a pub in Hythe, Kent, having not long returned from down south myself.

Who knows, it may even have been the very same guys who have written the article.

Such a shame and it really would appear that H's gung-ho attitude probably cost him and several of his men their lives.
  5. [align=center]Arithmetic of the Frontier

A scrimmage in a Border Station;
    A canter down some dark defile;
    Two thousand pounds of education
    Drops to a ten-rupee jezail;
    The Crammer's boast, the Squadron's pride,
    Shot like a rabbit in a ride![/align]

[align=center] Rudyard Kipling[/align]