Wartime role of HMY Britannia - query

tiddlyoggy

War Hero
Book Reviewer
I've asked my oppo (former yacht boiler room tiff) about this subject and he says that the wartime role was officially a hospital ship with the royal dining room being converted to a ward. He doesn't know why (or indeed how) she could have taken any part in ASW exercises though.

tiddlyoggy said:
I've asked my oppo (former yacht boiler room tiff) about this subject and he says that the wartime role was officially a hospital ship with the royal dining room being converted to a ward. He doesn't know why (or indeed how) she could have taken any part in ASW exercises though.
Pure idle speculation, but wouldn't her role in ASW exercises be as the target required to be defended. (Although - she did have sonar though, right?)

Purple_twiglet

War Hero
Thanks again for all the answers guys, its really helpful.

The reason I've been prying is that there are some indications that HMYs role may have been somewhat different to that envisaged, and your answers have been really helpful on that. Can't say too much more at present, as we're waiting to get some papers back through FOI, but once I get something tangible, then I'll post more here.

HMY Britannia couldn't be used as a hospital ship as Her Maj would not have liked her gucchi teak decks all scuffed up by bleeding matlots and Toms…

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
hackle History 5
Naval_Gazer History 3
A The Gash Barge 19