Warship: Life At Sea

CaptainPlume

Badgeman
Quite enjoying episode 1 of current series. Bearing in mind last time I was at sea in one of HM’s War Canoes was in HMS Birmingham in mid-90s wondered a couple of things.

What are the badges over some of the Officers’ name tags? Captain & XO seem to be Dolphins, but there was another which looked rounder.

One of the firefighting party (not in Fearnaught suits) had what looked like Mr Toad’s car horn on his right shoulder. Assuming it wasn’t to give a cheery “poop-poop” & annoy road users what is it?

Branch-Hopper

War Hero
One of the firefighting party (not in Fearnaught suits) had what looked like Mr Toad’s car horn on his right shoulder. Assuming it wasn’t to give a cheery “poop-poop” & annoy road users what is it?
Its to call for assistance if the FF gets trapped, or falls and needs assistance.

ETA: FF ashore have an alarm device that sounds if the wearer does not move for X seconds. It can only be reset by the insertion of a BA key - kept outside of the incident at the BA Control Board.

The alarm units were, briefly, introduced to the RN. However it was shown that the device read the motion of the ships, so failed to sound and call for help. Replaced with Mr Toad device. Fine, provided the wearer is conscious.

Last edited:

CaptainPlume

Badgeman
Cheers! Was just going to say PWO had something similar.

Also someone on bridge had what looked like a bit of red climbing rope round his body from left shoulder to right hip. Captain had a large red & yellow patch on right upper arm of PCS. Again, what are those?

Afraid some dim questions from a newly-minted SCV CFAV, but grateful for answers in case Cadets ask me!

Heyo91

Midshipman
Am I the only person to have noticed the boat seen at PD by the helo in the last episode was a T boat?
Nope, it's been causing great frustration.

Another thing I find funny is the intro to the "Top secret 4 month deployment", as if it isn't a massive hunk of steel watched from every angle leaving home.

Latest Threads