Warship: Life At Sea

CaptainPlume

Badgeman
Thought I’d look at series one. Apart from wondering why the Captain couldn’t find a beret that fitted wondered about some of the rest of the Ship’s Company.

There was one in the Ops Room with three rings surmounted by an anchor. Another (with face blurred) had RN style Commander’s lace but a light blue shirt & wearing baseball cap.

Suspect Commodore was FOST judging by some hands wearing that in place of Royal Navy on shirts. Lord I’m turning into a spotter!

Taztiff

War Hero
Not sure if I missed any irony here (probable) but most of them see it as a massive privilege/career pinnacle - sort of akin to the pongo RSM role. It’s also the career route to Command Warrant and then the top Warrant role for the mob (can’t remember what it is called). They call it the executive route. Stacks of genuine kudos involved and I think it looks rewarding - loco parentis and all that, along with Mess Pres and leading the seniors. They are also slap bang in the command team with the HoDs - where their say carries a significant clout so more than just heads and bathrooms. State 1 role was command rover (splitting the ship in half opposite the XO).
Yep, irony involved. I was playing on the use of the EWO as MAA.
Understand your comments about prinicle of career etc., but.......
As engineers, we had a step in our promotion route meaning having to be selected and serve time as a Charge Chief before even thinking about WO.
The jobs for engineer WOs and non-eng WOs were also very different. Didn't see non-eng WOs at sea but an eng WO could be DWEO/DMEO on a frigate.
But as a mere CPOWEA I was WEO of a MCMV and a HOD. All be it a very small department! The MEO though, was a Charge Chief MEA as the legal responsibility was greater and department larger. Other difference? I also had equipment to maintain whereas he didn't.

Of course all this has changed in the last 20 or so years. CC became WO2 and back again I think. God know what it is now!!

Thought I’d look at series one. Apart from wondering why the Captain couldn’t find a beret that fitted wondered about some of the rest of the Ship’s Company.

There was one in the Ops Room with three rings surmounted by an anchor. Another (with face blurred) had RN style Commander’s lace but a light blue shirt & wearing baseball cap.

Suspect Commodore was FOST judging by some hands wearing that in place of Royal Navy on shirts. Lord I’m turning into a spotter!
Is that the series with El Stack as CO? If so, they were a NATO Flagship, so I presume they’re NATO Officers.

Sumo

War Hero
IMO more likely:
"Monsieur Capitaine, please to be not pinging zat submarine...."
Off track, when at HMS Cambridge, training foreign nationals was scary as hell. The crab target tow teams used to call us up to see who was on range training, certain nation's would see a large sickbay queues.

Last edited: