Warship Documentary Question

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by seafarer1939, Sep 16, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Watching this programme a couple of days ago I was suprised to see the Chopper on HMS Ocean'whilst carrring out a deck landing,call out the distance and fuel taken in Imperial measures.
    They were told they were 60 feet above the deck,the crew member kept saying" 2 yards back,1 yard sideways and they took on 60 gallons of fuel.
    I thought it was all Metric nowadays,I'd be pleased if it's not, but just wondered why.

2. fails_as_is

fails_as_is Badgeman Book Reviewer

Yes, flight level is referred to in feet(or thousands thereof), distance always in yards (to nearest thousand if necessary).
    I was however surprised that volumes of the fuel was measured in imperial, since on boats we tend to refer to volume in metric.
    Confusingly, depths are in metres...
    go figure!

3. they used some even older measurements too, a gush of fuel on the deck and a dribble of hydraulic fluid from the vent? after extensive maintenance.
    good to see we have not gone all europee. :roll:

4. Still use oodles and big bundles as well :roll: :wink:

5. who need's a torque wrench when five white knuckles is good enuff for nearly everything

6. Levers_Aligned

Levers_Aligned War Hero Moderator

Nope. Today's metric equivalent is 'Two Urrrghs and an Arrrgh!"

levers

7. Depends on the chart being used, some charts still are in Fathoms lol

8. I'm confused now as well.

I was always taught fuel was measured by weight in aviation due the implication in take off mass etc.

In my day, (swing them lights), fuel was in pounds, (weight). I could see it going to Kilograms to metricise matters but never gallons or litres.

Any current Woo's like to clear the subject up please? :?

9. :cry: Allways make sure you have 200LBS of fuel remaining when you land on Waspie!!! Survivor in the strop?? up 10 FEET :lol:

10. two urrgs and an arrgh is what mrs SS does when i've got five white knuckles on her

11. There are probably a few Luddites who can visualise yards better than they can metres. After all, UK roadsigns still use good, old-fashioned Imperial measures.

Fuel is considered as Mass, as it forms an important factor in calculating the airframe's AUM (All Up Mass) and centre of gravity limitations.

Lynx fuel is measured in kg thanks to our collaborative partners, Scout (and by extension Wasp) was lbs. Historically, volume ie gallons was used. Not flown the SK so no help there, but being a 'Classic' it might well be measured in Hogsheads.

12. :oops: Those Merlin Grubbers ,need to have a Bin full of Speedy Dry handy!!!! at all times :lol: :lol:

13. Seem to remember an old and bold Sea Vixen pilot Running out of Fuel!!!! or as he recalled " I experienced a Double Flame Out " :roll: :roll: :roll:

14. Talking to an ex-RAF engineer once who was one of those trained to conduct test flights. Out on a flight with 2 other Harriers. Their primary was fogged in, as were both their alternates. Managed to divert to another airfield with the pucker factor well and truly engaged. He let the other 2 a/c land first as they were lower on fuel - he then landed but as he taxied off the main runway his engine died - apparently the fuel gauge (for want of a better word) on a Harrier is unreliable below a certain amount and while he thought he still had (admittedly very little) fuel in reality he'd just starved his engine!

15. Spose he told his wife it was really 9 inches as well.... :D

16. I thaught it was until it spins and then back it off half a turn?

17. Does Ocean carry an MO?