Warrants....for Conduct

Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by 21_Man, Feb 25, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Anyone remember the days of 'Clear Lower Deck' for the reading of warrants?
    Is it still part of today's naveee?

2. I had thought it was abolished under HRA 1998.

I am standing by for abuse from the old farts that think Human Rights is not for the likes of us.

3. Whats that Rosie 1998 the same year as they abolished the Royal Navy :roll:

Nutty

4. HRA ??

5. Human Rights Act.

Sorry it is a bad habit that lawyers have of abreviating statutes! eg HA 1957 is Homicide Act, MCA 1973 Matrimonial Causes Act. You get the drift.

6. Yes 'tis. I was at a warrant reading in Drake shortly before Xmas. Some numpty had kept on going AWOL, so he got X number of days over the wall and hoofed out.

7. Warant readings were still going when I was in.

8. We had one not so long ago - made a nornally quite chirpy Ships Company quite quiet for a day or two.....

9. That does surprise me, I had wondered if it was caught under Art 3 - No one shall be subjected to torture or to inhuman or degrading treatment or punishment.

10. Only the skipper, Joss and Chief Stoker were present when my warrant was read, and it was indoors. :D

11. My God Rosie, The Navy have really gone downhill, are you saying that when a warrant is read, that they torture them as well? OMG that is cruel.

12. I recall hearing a buzz about someone trying that argument at some stage, that would have been 2003 or so as I was in and out of 2SL a fair bit at the time.

I think the position was that it was broadly equivalent to being sentenced in court, so it didn't get very far.

13. We had a warrant Reading on ARK in 2002 in the hangar 600 ships company and it was for a female - old navy and no longer suitable for a modern service.

14. Surely punishment itself violates Article 3. 8O :evil:

15. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

As previously posted by me on Tue Feb 20, 2007 @ 1:18pm here:

BR11 available online here.

16. ooo BR 11 online! I shan't sleep tonight!

17. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Hmm, a sarcastic lawyer? There's a fecking surprise... :oops: :wink:

Surely you've got your own knitted copy, RC? :lol:

18. Oh dear, Legal Briefs in a twist. :lol:

19. IIRC, the Jimmy read the warrant on the ships I served on: on a type 14, it was "clear lower deck". My brother-in-law reckoned on carriers and the like, it was "clear lower of MEs/Seamen/S&S/Leading Handwhoever", to avoid disrupting the whole ships company. Never liked warrants, it always seemed to me to be a ritual humiliation, rather than a display of the power of the NDA (as it used to be then), Just my own opinion........

20. But the reading of a warrant is not either degrading or a punishment, any more tha a judge sentencing in public court. It is merely part of the need for justice not only to be done but to be seen to be done. I fear some lawyers get to carried away by the £ signs to really consider what human rights are.