Warm Up

A

angrydoc

Guest
#2
Emergency Medicine Journal 2009;26(8):614
"Does Stretching Before Exercise Help Prevent Injury" Callaghan, M

This was a search in all medical literature in the english language from 1950 - May 2009, asking the question 'In adults performing sports and exercice does a stretching routine prior to exercise reduce injury".

341 studies were found. Bottom line: stretching before exercise will not reduce the risk of injury.

http://www.bestbets.org/bets/bet.php?id=644
 
#4
StixJimboRM said:
tornado said:
So you can just go straght into a full run then?
I regularly run 6 - 8 miles (that is, at least 5 times a week), the only 'warm up' I do is a shoulder stretch, quad stretch, calf stretch and hamstring stretch, I dont do any jogs or walks, this is due to running at around an easy 7.5 - 8 minute mile pace. Never have any problems (not yet anyway - touch wood) and I'm 40 years old.
That avatar phot is a good likeness aswell mate!!! :D
 
#5
StixJimboRM said:
X.R.D said:
StixJimboRM said:
tornado said:
So you can just go straght into a full run then?
I regularly run 6 - 8 miles (that is, at least 5 times a week), the only 'warm up' I do is a shoulder stretch, quad stretch, calf stretch and hamstring stretch, I dont do any jogs or walks, this is due to running at around an easy 7.5 - 8 minute mile pace. Never have any problems (not yet anyway - touch wood) and I'm 40 years old.
That avatar phot is a good likeness aswell mate!!! :D
Why, thank you darling!! :wink:
Thats alright sweetcheeks!!! xxx 8)
 
#6
StixJimboRM said:
X.R.D said:
StixJimboRM said:
X.R.D said:
StixJimboRM said:
tornado said:
So you can just go straght into a full run then?
I regularly run 6 - 8 miles (that is, at least 5 times a week), the only 'warm up' I do is a shoulder stretch, quad stretch, calf stretch and hamstring stretch, I dont do any jogs or walks, this is due to running at around an easy 7.5 - 8 minute mile pace. Never have any problems (not yet anyway - touch wood) and I'm 40 years old.
That avatar phot is a good likeness aswell mate!!! :D
Why, thank you darling!! :wink:
Thats alright sweetcheeks!!! xxx 8)
You'd better not call me sweetcheeks, we'll end up arguing!!!!!!! :lol: :lol:
Yeah and i bet your thinner than Taloolah aswell mate!!! :D

edited to note, trying to get a dig in wherever i can, its a larf innit!!! :lol:
 
#7
StixJimboRM said:
X.R.D said:
StixJimboRM said:
X.R.D said:
StixJimboRM said:
X.R.D said:
StixJimboRM said:
tornado said:
So you can just go straght into a full run then?
I regularly run 6 - 8 miles (that is, at least 5 times a week), the only 'warm up' I do is a shoulder stretch, quad stretch, calf stretch and hamstring stretch, I dont do any jogs or walks, this is due to running at around an easy 7.5 - 8 minute mile pace. Never have any problems (not yet anyway - touch wood) and I'm 40 years old.
That avatar phot is a good likeness aswell mate!!! :D
Why, thank you darling!! :wink:
Thats alright sweetcheeks!!! xxx 8)
You'd better not call me sweetcheeks, we'll end up arguing!!!!!!! :lol: :lol:
Yeah and i bet your thinner than Taloolah aswell mate!!! :D

edited to note, trying to get a dig in wherever i can, its a larf innit!!! :lol:
Well, at least ypu didn't call me sweatcheeks !!! :p
I refer you to the more beef types on this site..........over to you thingy!!! :puke:
 
#8
I regularly run 6 - 8 miles (that is, at least 5 times a week), the only 'warm up' I do is a shoulder stretch, quad stretch, calf stretch and hamstring stretch, I dont do any jogs or walks, this is due to running at around an easy 7.5 - 8 minute mile pace. Never have any problems (not yet anyway - touch wood) and I'm 40 years old.
Ok thanks, I had been running for a couple of months or so and I think I got 'Shin splints' anyway its gone away now. Someone recommend I did a proper warm up and stretches first which I hadn't been doing. Also I read on the internet some decent running shoes help allot too.
 
#9
tornado said:
I regularly run 6 - 8 miles (that is, at least 5 times a week), the only 'warm up' I do is a shoulder stretch, quad stretch, calf stretch and hamstring stretch, I dont do any jogs or walks, this is due to running at around an easy 7.5 - 8 minute mile pace. Never have any problems (not yet anyway - touch wood) and I'm 40 years old.
Ok thanks, I had been running for a couple of months or so and I think I got 'Shin splints' anyway its gone away now. Someone recommend I did a proper warm up and stretches first which I hadn't been doing. Also I read on the internet some decent running shoes help allot too.
Again its horses for courses although a warmup and stretch is important before and after any phys session.

Do yourself a favour if you havent already and get yourself a good pair of running shoes from a reputable shop. I've run in asics for road/gymwork for years and walshes inov8's for offroad and you cannot go too far wrong with those brands!!
 
#10
Do yourself a favour if you havent already and get yourself a good pair of running shoes from a reputable shop. I've run in asics for road/gymwork for years and walshes inov8's for offroad and you cannot go too far wrong with those brands!!
I just found a specialist running shop that sells asics, which is just a walk down the road from the gym so I think I will have a look in there.

Im mostly running on a treadmill now instead of the roads, since I joined the gym. Do you think I will still need running shoes if im not on the road?

Emergency Medicine Journal 2009;26(8):614
"Does Stretching Before Exercise Help Prevent Injury" Callaghan, M

This was a search in all medical literature in the english language from 1950 - May 2009, asking the question 'In adults performing sports and exercice does a stretching routine prior to exercise reduce injury".

341 studies were found. Bottom line: stretching before exercise will not reduce the risk of injury.
a warmup and stretch is important before and after any phys session.
Why if above is true?
 
#11
X.R.D said:
Again its horses for courses although a warmup and stretch is important before and after any phys session.

Do yourself a favour if you havent already and get yourself a good pair of running shoes from a reputable shop. I've run in asics for road/gymwork for years and walshes inov8's for offroad and you cannot go too far wrong with those brands!!
I had run in New balance for about a decade but since shifting to Pose running they give me blisters on the balls of my feet and I had noticed some hip pain, I'm now fully converted to Pearl Izumi, snags no more.

Everyone's different, although Asics and Saucony are very popular amongst serious runners for good reason.

Incidentally, my warm up is the first 2 miles, I only stretch after.
 
#12
Soloman and Northface does some good running shoes but its mainly for trail use. I use soloman and my girlfriend uses Northface,both are quick drying, pretty light and plenty of grip. We just like to run off track.
 
#13
daffy1 said:
Soloman and Northface does some good running shoes but its mainly for trail use. I use soloman and my girlfriend uses Northface,both are quick drying, pretty light and plenty of grip. We just like to run off track.
Saloman are okay, i possess a pair of approach shoes although these days i prefer inov8s for hill and off-road use!!
 
#15
tornado said:
Do yourself a favour if you havent already and get yourself a good pair of running shoes from a reputable shop. I've run in asics for road/gymwork for years and walshes inov8's for offroad and you cannot go too far wrong with those brands!!
I just found a specialist running shop that sells asics, which is just a walk down the road from the gym so I think I will have a look in there.

Im mostly running on a treadmill now instead of the roads, since I joined the gym. Do you think I will still need running shoes if im not on the road?

Emergency Medicine Journal 2009;26(8):614
"Does Stretching Before Exercise Help Prevent Injury" Callaghan, M

This was a search in all medical literature in the english language from 1950 - May 2009, asking the question 'In adults performing sports and exercice does a stretching routine prior to exercise reduce injury".

341 studies were found. Bottom line: stretching before exercise will not reduce the risk of injury.
a warmup and stretch is important before and after any phys session.
Why if above is true?
As i said its horses for courses mate!!!

I would invest in a pair of running shoes even though your running in the gym as you will need them when you join up assuming they allow you to wear your own trainers these days??
 
#16
I would invest in a pair of running shoes even though your running in the gym as you will need them when you join up assuming they allow you to wear your own trainers these days??
I already joined up, using some old trainers. I will take a look in the running shop at some point
 
#17
tornado said:
I would invest in a pair of running shoes even though your running in the gym as you will need them when you join up assuming they allow you to wear your own trainers these days??
I already joined up, using some old trainers. I will take a look in the running shop at some point
Okay.
 
#18
Let me give some exercise tips....

1.See your doctor before you start any exercise program. Get a full physical to make sure everything's in working order, then find a personal trainer in your neighborhood and make an appointment with him or her for a consultation. Most trainers will give you a free consultation and help you figure out what your fitness level is, your body fat and circumference measurements, and the right way to start a program.

2.Start Slow! Many beginners make the mistake of doing too much when they first start out. If you haven't worked out in a while (or ever) start with a walking program of about 20 to 30 minutes, 3 days a week. Each session, add a few minutes to your workout to progress each week.

3.Write down your workouts every day, making notes about what you did, how you felt and how you improved since your last workout.

4.Schedule your workouts each week, just like you would a doctor's appointment.

5.Harass your best friend, spouse or significant other into working out with you!

6.Every day, ask yourself how you will make your life healthier. It can be as simple as drinking more water or parking farther away from the front door.

7.Reward yourself! Give yourself a massage when you reach your goals, or maybe some new workout clothes.

8.Set daily or weekly goals. Long term goals are great, but are so far away we often forget why we're working so hard. To stay motivated, write down a daily or weekly goal and then follow number 7 (rewarding yourself) if you reach it.

9.Prepare for your workout the night before by packing your gym bag or, if you work out at home, laying out your workout clothes so when you get home, you're ready to go.

10.Eat regularly throughout the day so you don't bonk during your workout.
 
#20
I have my PJFT next week and I feel Im ready for it - however even though I've passed the medical and have been off the asthma register at my Dr's since 2000, I am finding I wheeze terribly during my runs. I am currently running 1.5 miles every morning then cycling and walking 3 miles or so most afternoons and my breathing is often painful. If I walk for about 10 seconds in the middle of my run and let my breathing calm a little I feel fine. I feel I should be able to run further - because Im not "out of breath" as such or physically tired, it just hurts to breath a times. Any ideas as to how I can overcome this? I am also trying running half a mile then walking for 5 minutes then running again and walking for about 3.5 miles to let my breathing stablise.
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Current Affairs 22
Canaldrifter Diamond Lil's 15
The_Caretaker Diamond Lil's 0

Similar threads

Latest Threads

New Posts

Top