Warfare Specialist 1s with para wings?

#1
Was browsing a military surplus shop and one my travels I found a junior rate's uniform.

On the uniform...
Left Arm
2 good conduct badges
Rank Badge-Leading Hand

Right arm
Branch Badge (AWT)
Para wings on the shoulder.

There were medal ribbon thingy mahjiggies as well but I don't know what there were.

The cap had something written in French...or Latin, I don't know :lol: :lol:

Something like " I Tanische Marineshe I"

Anyway, does anyone know why he had the Para wings? Is it normal?
The ...motto? on the hat? Anyone recognise it?

It intrigued me somewhat.
 
#2
Marinesch is German for Marine I think, fcuk knows what thats doing on a pussers cap.

Para wings are only eligible to be worn if you have done an arduous training course (p-coy / aacc / pre-para) then the jumps course, not unheard of but would be more believable if there was a commando dagger on the sleeve also. As I have never heard of a matelot doing P-coy, perhaps a former Pongo who then joined the Navy hence eligible to wear wings through previous service.

Could be the crazy sub assistance or whatever you call them group but I believe they are submariners or divers? (Fcuk knows, I'm speculating on that one). Their wings are different to para wings.

I think the shop has just jazzed it up a bit.

Careful mate, the Walt hunters will be frothing at the gash!
 
#3
I didn't see a commando dagger on the sleeve. All I noticed that seemed out of place was the parachute wings (I thought they may have been flying wings but it had a parachute...).

I asked the shop owner who said he bought the suit on with them already there. Then again, he pulled the "maybe the sailor was attached to the SBS" card out of the pack, so maybe he was just trying to jazz it up.
 
#6
Fairly modern as far as an untrained eye can tell. Looks just like a normal number 1 uniform to me.

Yep, this country. Well, Scotland.

I guess the cap tally is where the writing normally goes. It had that Latin/French/German thing on it.

Anyway, I'm gone till monday.
Ta ta
 
#8
I seem to recall from the dim and distant past; that there was a classification of diver/swimmer who was parachute trained . Assistance at what we called "Subsmash" back then comes to mind.
 
#10
There are many matelots that have done P-Company. The matelots in 148 Battery (NGS Spotters) do the AACC and up to about 20 years ago (ish) used to do P Company along with the jumps course. This entitled them to wear a whole range of bades which included para wings, commando dagger and combined ops badge to name but a few.
 
#11
jesse said:
I seem to recall from the dim and distant past; that there was a classification of diver/swimmer who was parachute trained . Assistance at what we called "Subsmash" back then comes to mind.
Yes they were known as the SPAG team. Knew a POMA to have worn them
( He was also a ships diver) Had to recall him from leave following Submiss alert
 
#12
Drakey said:
There are many matelots that have done P-Company. The matelots in 148 Battery (NGS Spotters) do the AACC and up to about 20 years ago (ish) used to do P Company along with the jumps course. This entitled them to wear a whole range of bades which included para wings, commando dagger and combined ops badge to name but a few.
Spotters come in all shapes and sizes if it is a gen uniform it will probably be a spotter. Or it could be the Royal Navy Postal Service Singing Telegram Detachment
 
#14
Drakey said:
There are many matelots that have done P-Company. The matelots in 148 Battery (NGS Spotters) do the AACC and up to about 20 years ago (ish) used to do P Company along with the jumps course. This entitled them to wear a whole range of bades which included para wings, commando dagger and combined ops badge to name but a few.
That's why I asked if there was a Commando dagger on the sleeve. Would it not be bizarre for a Killick RP to go to 148 bty having not done AACC?
 
#15
Montigny_La_Palisse said:
Drakey said:
There are many matelots that have done P-Company. The matelots in 148 Battery (NGS Spotters) do the AACC and up to about 20 years ago (ish) used to do P Company along with the jumps course. This entitled them to wear a whole range of bades which included para wings, commando dagger and combined ops badge to name but a few.
That's why I asked if there was a Commando dagger on the sleeve. Would it not be bizarre for a Killick RP to go to 148 bty having not done AACC?
Highly unlikely as it was only open to Comms rates. However, this may have changed in recent years with all of the changes that have happened to the warfare/ops/comms world, but I doubt it.
 
#16
Another question is it full para wings or just a lightbulb. For full para wings you need to have done P company etc, for the light bulb basic training and a certain number of jumps, it used to be 5, which was why the RN aquaint course only ever let you do 4.
 
#17
Drakey said:
Montigny_La_Palisse said:
Drakey said:
There are many matelots that have done P-Company. The matelots in 148 Battery (NGS Spotters) do the AACC and up to about 20 years ago (ish) used to do P Company along with the jumps course. This entitled them to wear a whole range of bades which included para wings, commando dagger and combined ops badge to name but a few.
That's why I asked if there was a Commando dagger on the sleeve. Would it not be bizarre for a Killick RP to go to 148 bty having not done AACC?
Highly unlikely as it was only open to Comms rates. However, this may have changed in recent years with all of the changes that have happened to the warfare/ops/comms world, but I doubt it.
That's what I thought, it is now open to all Warfare branch but that has only just changed.
 

witsend

MIA
Book Reviewer
#18
Dr.Zoidberg said:
Fairly modern as far as an untrained eye can tell. Looks just like a normal number 1 uniform to me.

Yep, this country. Well, Scotland.

I guess the cap tally is where the writing normally goes. It had that Latin/French/German thing on it.

Anyway, I'm gone till monday.
Ta ta
And whats Tim doing in Scotland? If I had notice I could have rounded up a posse to welcome him! :wink:
 
#20
There was a fat cnut of a LOM(AWT) who is now a reggy, who used to wear para wings on his 1s where a marksman or nav yo's badge would normally go. Turned out he had done a freefall course as part of his AT and thought it meant he could wear the wings.

Maybe the 1s you saw in the surplus store used to belong to him?
 

Latest Threads