Warfare officer training

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by banarama2013, Jan 4, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Good afternoon, I have found the forum invaluable for interview prep etc, however have a few questions regarding the training pipeline for a Warfare Officer.

As I understand it post BRNC you go on to the Initial Warfare Officer foundation course at BRNC/Collingwood, then progress to be posted at sea to work towards Navigational Watch Certificate as officer of the watch. This is followed by the IWOC at Collingwood, and would be roughly 2-2 1/2 years after BRNC.

This is my understanding, although I was wondering whether the information was dated.

Any help would be appreciated.

Sent from my HTC One S using Navy Net - Rum Ration mobile app
  2. Nope - IWOF (13 weeks?), then SFT(X) for qualification for NWC (8 - 12 months), IWOC (3 month-ish), then you're in the Fleet as an OOW.
  3. A_t_G is correct. It all changes quite often, though, and there are, as far as I know, several very slightly different pipelines going through at the moment. The one with which I am familiar goes like this:

BRNC (I assume you know the 30 week breakdown)

IWO(F) 15 weeks, including 4 weeks of IWO(Nav) at Collingwood. Split in two groups so either weeks 8-11 or 12-15 of IWO(F) will be the IWO(Nav) component at Collingwood

AvWar 5 weeks

SFT 9 months approx. split between two ships

IWOC 3 months approx. to get NWC

First OOW job - get BWQ
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2014
  4. Thanks, the info I found on the forum was from late 2012 and didn't match the royal navy website so i assumed it may be dated.

5. Glad to see you weren't making assumptions Banarama - Rule 7c applies.
  6. If in doubt, turn to port in fog?
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Another small query, I was made aware at my SIFT interview that it would be possible that I could be asked to consider being a submariner, is this likely to be the case/has it happened often recently?

8. what is AvWar? I haven't seen this term used before
  9. Possible. My impression is that for warfare they have broadly enough people streamed submariner on entry at the moment, but I don't plan the manning so I can't comment authoritatively, and in any case, things change so rule nothing out.

Aviation and Warfare. It covers the warfare side as opposed to the navigation you do in IWO(Nav). Some time in the bridge simulator, lectures about the different warfare environments (i.e. ASW,ASuW, AAW), that kind of thing. As far as I know, it's stuff that used to be covered in IWOC, but was deemed useful to learn before going on SFT. The exact details aren't too important, as all of these things are liable to change, potentially unrecognisably, in a short space of time.
  10. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

My understanding from Ninja is that anyone can be drafted into Boats if the needs of the Service require it.
  11. I don't believe it would do you any harm to say you would be happy to be a submariner but emphasise that general service is your preference. Perhaps have some reasons prepared as to why you want GS vice SM.

Your willingness to become a submariner may come to be an advantage post AIB if you're score isn't high enough to be offered a place as a GSX.
  12. Thanks for the replies folks. Currently prepping for AIB and finding info on training was proving to be difficult.

13. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Tsk, basic Rule of the Road.

Space Corps Directive 7c : No member of the Corps shall report for active duty in a ginger toupee.