Warfare Officer (SM) - Pointers?

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by 19jw89, Nov 9, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. First off, I should say 'Hello' to the Rum Ration - I've used ARRSE before, but recently I've been leaning more towards the Senior Service as my potential employers.

I've been researching it for some months, and have come to the conclusion that I'd like to go Warfare; and given the choice between Surface and Sub, I feel more of an affinity with Sub. Not only that, but I know that Warfare Officers are always in demand, and even more so within submarines

I've already been to my nearest AFCO, and completed the first two stages (already being on the system thanks to TA time at university helped speed things up), and am now awaiting a date on my recruit test. Beyond that, is there anything in particular that I should be focusing on in my reading for the job, with a look towards the AIB ASAP? I freely admit that my knowledge with regards to the Navy is a bit patchier than it should be, and what with the current situation on the RN site being as it is, and am willing to absorb any information that may help me to get the job I want.

2. Hey JW,

I'm coming towards the end of the process for Warfare Officer selection and the thing about the application pipeline is patience.. I, like yourself, have been as on the ball as much as possible to get the process smoothing along quickly. My experience has been to expect around 4-6 weeks per stage, that is ICP to RT to medical to sift.. I experienced these waiting times at both an AFCO in London and one in North Wales so it doesn't look like geographic location has too much of an influence on waiting times between stages. The wait for AIB is longer (I think it varies between about six weeks after sift and several months) and from what I hear it is directly related to how well you perform in the sift interview. One good piece of advice I can offer is to make sure all your paperwork is in order, exam certificates in particular. Your AFCO will need to see originals and if like myself, having done my GCSEs a fair few years ago, you can't find them and subsequently have to order a set of new ones, it usually takes the exam boards four weeks to print and send them out. Good job to get this sorted in time rather than get to that stage and add another month to your application!!

Best of luck, if I can help in any other way let me know!

ML

3. A quick lesson:
    Submarines can be called Boats never Subs, that's a fooking american sandwich.

Here endeth the lesson, good luck with your choice's.

4. I often call them 'subs', and no-one has ever told me I'm wrong, BoxKickerFookingAmericanSandwich.

5. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

...and you want to become a Warfare Occifer, you say? :?

Then you'll fit in perfectly at BRNC (although you'll hate 'Wet Wednesdays'...) :oops: :twisted:

Anyway, welcome to RR, shippers. :thumbleft:

6. Hello JW & welcome, too.

In the absence of specific advice so far have a good look back on the newbie forum threads and do a little searching as well

Lots of hidden nuggets and Soliel or Ninja Stoker will probably pop up with specific links for you.

RR is not as user friendly as ARRSE yet, but its still well worth while digging around.

Oh, nearly forgot - Banter? See above :wink:

Bob

7. Subs are blokes that do your duties for you...cheers easy

Joe...you're wrong :wink:

edited to add wlecome to the site.

8. Cheers Wrecker - There was me all along thinking that Subs were those poor Officers with only the one stripe/ring 8O