warfare officer rumours

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by charlotte, Feb 12, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi there!

I was just wondering if you could clear a few things up for me?

I am applying to become a warfare officer at the moment, I am in my second year at uni and I am studying literature and politics and it is basically the only thing I really want to do. However, I had heard rumours that warfare was oversubscribed and it is extremely hard to get a place at BRNC, I eventually want to become a PWO, but that is thinking way ahead of myself :p My careers office told me that I should go for a pilot but i'm thinking that that is way to scary, but is it as hard to get a place if i were to apply for that position?

I'm also waiting for my date for my sifting interview (im sure thats what they called it!) and what exactly does this entail?

Thanks for taking your time to read this!!

xx

2. If you're confident that you want to go warfare then go for warfare straight from the start, otherwise you could be facing a harder battle to transfer from the Fleet Air Arm to the Warfare branch to go PWO. I've also heard a buzz that pilot is over-subscribed too, but maybe one of the AFCO chappies on here can clear that up?

The 'sifting interview' is just an interview at the AFCO to determine whether you should be put forward for an AIB or not. Don't worry about it too much, just be yourself.

3. Sweetheart, you're applying for a job in which nasty foreigners might well try to kill you. If flying an aircraft strikes you as frightening are you sure warfare officer is the career for you?

4. It ebbs and flows, applicants are in competition for the places available, and there are always more candidates than places. If you have confidence in your abilities then crack on and go for it.

If your knuckles drag when you walk then that's a pretty good indicator of suitability ;)

If it doesn't appeal then don't bother. It really depends on your long term aspirations, and you've already said that you want to wit in a darkened room being shouted at by the Captain. If you try for aviation then you delay that opportunity.

5. Haha, yes i am most definitely sure, it is just the thought of flying a plane which i find daunting... There are so many different stories going around about AIB and the number of places etc, it's hard not to worry slightly, espeically when it a job/life that you really want.

Do you know what kind of questions are asked in the sifting interview? I want to be as prepared as possible,

Charlotte x

6. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Well imagine how your passengers will feel!! 8O

Good luck, whatever you do, and welcome to Rum Ration. We're a rough and ready crew, but I would advise you to not put 'kisses' at the end of your posts - us sailors might get the wrong idea!

:wink: :thumright:

7. While people can bang on forever about numbers of places, numbers of applicants etc. the stats do not matter when it's you applying. Yes, the stats say that X% will pass, Y% will get a place, but they don't forecast who that person will be.

There is no such thing as a perfect candidate, just people who do well at AIB. They do well because:

1. They are well prepared.
    2. Their motivation and enthusiasm shines through, along with a sense of humour. They demonstrate that they will in time become good leaders.
    3. They have a good intellect, have made good use of the education they have been through, and they demonstrate that they can learn fast in formal and informal settings.
    4. They are healthy and fit.

Not much more to it. Work hard at uni, learn about the RN and the world in which it operates, and you'll be great.

PS leave the kisses in - some of us are old enough to be your Dad :D

8. woops, thats a habit!! Wouldn't want to give off the wrong idea, that's for sure =P

9. Right, some rumour control here:

1. WAFUs can be become PWOs. Loads of them do it, and frankly it's no real drama to do.
    2. Fish-heads can become WAFUs. You must be under 25 on commencement of the first day of Flying training, and hold a BWQ. In civvy terms, this means you must start BRNC no later than 21 to be in with a realistic chance of applying for this route. It's not the easiest or most sure-fire way of becoming a WAFU, but it does happen. As Airborne_artist said, somebody's got to fill that position, so why not you?!
    3. If you don't know what a WAFU or fish-head are, read the stickies.
    4. If you want to ask any more questions (I'm about to head to PWO Cse if the appointer pulls his finger out), feel free to PM, but it might be a day or two before I reply...

Al

10. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Not all of them 8O

11. Erm, I know that I may be wasting my time................but, was your Grandmother French?

12. Oh god.. please don't, not again!! :roll:

13. Today I went to the initial royal navy presentation at the AFCO.

We were told that in terms of jumping branches, it's tough to go from warfare to aircrew, but a lot of people go from aircrew to warfare. So that's what the ACLO recommended.

Kind of annoying if you ask me!..all these people who actually want to be in warfare taking up places as aircrew!

14. By implication, not impossible.

Just a bit of determination and balls to go for it.

15. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

I have heard that; "How do you spell "especially"" crops up frequently. Looks like you're fu**ed.

ROMFT

16. Charlotte. If Warfare is what you want then go for it. As a Pilot you can still become a PWO after you get bored of flying.

PM me if you want details.

17. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

You smooth-talking barstard... :thumright: :lol:

18. Misread that and almost choked on me Complan

19. Only apply for aircrew if you really, really want it. Both the Pilot and Observer courses are very demanding, and unless you need those wings like a demented junkie then you won't get them.

Go Warfare and you be fine.

20. Thanks for your help and advice!! ESPECIALLY yours tiddlyoggy =P

Charlotte