Warfare Officer - Past it/ To old?

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by trata, Apr 4, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Afternoon all,

Real quick question for an interested member of the public, is 24 (going on 25 in 4 months) too old to apply for Warfare officer?

I realise the cut off point is 26 in getting into BRNC, but was keen to see what the current waiting times/current estimates of time needed to complete all the recruitment tests are (assuming that all tests are passed first time).

Rather not waste an AFCO’s time if it’s a no go.

2. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

Go on, waste their time. They would only be drinking tea, playing uckers and planning their long weekend.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Whitsend,

Thanks for the update, I assume you have first hand experience of working in an AFCO then?

Last edited: Apr 4, 2012
  4. I'd go and speak to an AFCO, I don't think it's wasting their time, I think it's part of their job to answer career queries. Also I think if you really want it, you should go for it. You're not getting any younger and you don't want to regret not trying. If you don't get it done in time at least you gave it your best. What have you got to lose?

5. RatCatcher,

Dont worry Im planning on applying, and happy to take any post going (within reason)!

Just wondering if I had my hopes set to high for warfare officer as I would imagine their is somewhat of a wait.

6. No, it's not too old, but you should get your skates on.

There are four intakes a year at BRNC - February, May, September and November.

Given the amount of time it takes an applicant to work his/her way through the individual stages of an application to join as a Warfare Officer - Psychometric Test, Medical, Pre-Joining Fitness Test, Sift and the AIB - someone starting an application now could possibly be hopeful of a place in November 2012 or February 2013, provided of course, there are Warfare Officers in those intakes.

This is dependent on the applicant passing the RT with the right score (minimum scores for all 4 sections for Officers), being medically fit, passing the PJFT and Sift and then getting a high score in the AIB and being selected. Just passing the AIB does not guarantee you a place.

It would be in your interests to acquaint yourself with the selection process over Easter, with perhaps a look at the format of the RT. You should then go in to see a Royal Navy Careers Advisor next week to start things off.

Not too late, but not much time for dawdling.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2012
  7. If you have the motivation, use your initiative and get down the AFCO!

• Like Like x 1
  8. I have and he's right ^_~:hiding:.

9. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

Half-a-dit. :angry7:

No never served, I just check out facebook and various social media incase you're a security risk. The red flags are flying!

10. But to answer the question, yes, if you want a full career, you are probably on the edge of being too old. Sorry and all, but that's the way it goes.