Warfare Officer - Minimum return of service

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Samson, Nov 26, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello, I am planning to apply to become a Warfare Office. I am keen to make a career of it but my parent, who I've only just told, seem a bit worried about the 12 year initial commission. However I was under the impression that from passing out from BRNC the minimum return of service was 3.5 year. Can someone in the know tell me how it really stands?

2. The IC and the RoS are different things. I don't know the details of RoS at the moment but 3.5 years from completion of training sounds about right. Note that completion of training is unlikely to be the same as passing out of Dartmouth since you'll then have professional courses to complete.

The 12 Year IC is the period of time that the service agrees to employ you.

At any point in that IC you may opt to submit 12 months notice.

3. OK, thank you.

4. Not even in, and trying to get out. ;-p

5. Nope just trying to calm my mum who is having nightmares about press gangs and Iranian Prisons :laughing6:

6. It used to be 4 years.

7. I've found refrence to GS Warfare RoS being 3 after training. Does any one know at what point in the pipeline you are considered 'trained'? I was guessing that it would be after SFT, am I right?

8. For GS Warfare, the RoS starts on completion of IWOC. Can't get into the Reference to see exactly how long it is though.

9. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

For Warfare officers, not on UCE/Bursary entry (ie: direct entry): The RoS is 3 years from successful completion of the YO Fleetboard, after which you are considered "Trained".

Up until the YO Fleetboard (ie first 2 years) you may submit notice to leave on JPA (Joint Personnel Admisnistation computer system) at any time. After the Ros, likewise, submit notice to quit through JPA.

10. Thank you.

11. Ninja_Stoker

Have to confess I rang our OCLO to get the latest detail on Return of Service for Warfare Officers, as it is not particularly easy to work out from the RN website.

It's always worth giving your OCLO a ring to confirm the details as they are frequently subject to change & they are always happy to help.

UK Careers Office contact details.

12. Cheers, I'll give them a call. It is not a major issue since I'm only in my first year at the moment, but It's hand to have a rough idea of the RoS when I'm talking it over with my parents.

13. Ninja_Stoker

Actually, remember I said: "It's always worth giving your OCLO a ring to confirm the details as they are frequently subject to change & they are always happy to help."?

Well, already I stand corrected:

"The latest amend to BR 8374 (Nov 07) has the IWOC as the completion of training, and start point of Training RoS for all X(GS) and X(SM) Officers."

Seems we just cannot get the staff anymore!

It's probably worth pointing out at this juncture that a large portion of the advice posted is either advised by the appropriate authority/expert in the relevant field or from the relevant publication (assuming it's been updated!).

14. Sorry, you've shown up my lack of knowlege, what is IWOC?

15. Ninja_Stoker

Initial Warfare Officer's Course- your preliminary training.

16. And my what fun it is!

17. Have you sat your AIB Samson?

If you haven't I strongly suggest reading page 4 of the AIB thread!