Warfare Officer - Eyesight Requirements

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Binding27, Feb 19, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have read online on http://www.aop.org.uk/uploads/uploaded_files/royal_navy_vs.pdf that for Warfare Officer VA2 is required.

Within VA2, it states the value for corrected vision for each eye, now for right eye it is 6/6 N5 but for left it is 6/9 N5.

My left eye is better then my right eye, and with correction my left eye exceeds 6/6, however, my right eye does not reach 6/6 when corrected.

I was wondering if there is any reason that the 6/6 is required in the right eye and not the left? And weather you would be considered if they are the opposite way around, like mine? Or is there a requirement for the right eye to be higher for a very specific reason?

I initially thought it may be for weapons training, but then thought that left handed people must use their left eye for weapon sights and also that VA3 is lower on the right eye and people with that standard would also undergo weapon training?

Thanks in advance for any responses.
  2. Everyone shoots an SA80 right-eyed. There's a very good reason and your left cheek will thank you not to try t'other eye.
  3. Ah right,

Still, VA3 must undergo weapon training, yet you can have lower acuity in the right eye for that?

Are there any other possible reasons for the right eye value in VA2?
  4. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Chris, I'm not having a go, but why does it matter, the point being that you either make the standards or you don't.
  5. Different jobs have different standards, these standards have been set by the RN Medical Service who kinda know what they're doing.
    Accept that and we're making progress.
    Go for Logs or summat.
  6. Quality!!!!
  7. Haha,

I understand that it is there for what is surely a very valid reason, and that I won't be able to apply for Warfare Officer because of this.

It's just that I was hoping someone could shed some light on why it's like that so that I at least know why I won't be able to do the role I would most like to.

Just a case of wanting the know why really, not that it makes a difference for me, just that I'm curious as to why its how it is.

Thanks for the responses, sarcastic or otherwise :D
  8. Guns

Guns War Hero Moderator

I had two candidates when an ACLO in the same situation and both got waivers. We never, ever, found out why the difference and no one within the Medical Division could tell us. I suspected it was something to do with telescopes but who knows.
  9. That's interesting, I'm booked onto an Initial Careers Presentation next week so will go along to that and ask about it whilst there.

They will probably advise me to carry and have the eye examination and other medical tests, at which point if I am ineligible for Warfare, there are other Officer roles with VA3 that I would be happy to pursue in the Navy.

Thanks for the info,
  10. Guns

Guns War Hero Moderator

Who knows, like I said never got a proper answer.