Warfare Officer at 25 and career progress.

DruAde

Lantern Swinger
Dont see why being 25 would affect anything . Are you not promoted on merrit and ability ? IM sure some of the mob on here will question that lol. Then again they are allowed to .

Join the RNR? So what do you want to be in? The RN or the RNR? I know sod all about any of this but I would have thought signing up for the RNR would proclude you from signing up for the RN as its sort of just a differenet branch. You have to do the tests and all the normal signing up stuff dont you to be in the RNR?

Ill let others who actually know answer correctly though because I know sod all. Just applying logic.

Why do I get the feeling this thread might degenerate into a bit of a mess.....

Last edited:

DruAde

Lantern Swinger
Oh if you can run both fine . Like I said I know fck all . Im still not sure how being 25 would affect you commanding a ship one day if you have the skills and attrubutes

Rachelthree

War Hero
I haven't been through it myself, but one of my friends applied for Warfare Officer and was unsuccessful. He joined the RNR in the meantime and a year later was successful at AIB- so it can definitely be done wahooooo! Although it is a fair time away perhaps spend a bit of time now and then already preparing? Brain training on the ds, timed tests etc so that when the time comes for your retake you can smash it! The fact you have decided to work hard and wait rather than just give up is good as well. Cannot advise about age etc either but all the best :)

Last edited:

Guzzler

War Hero
Fair one but it's a swiftly tightening bottle-neck for our mighty leaders. So many years to reach each rank, so every year will have a disproportionate reduction in the chances of reaching senior rank.

Shame really.

Drakey

War Hero
ED50. While it is commendable that you are setting your sights quiet high in wanting to command a warship, it looks like you might be getting your "A"s mixed up. Ambition and Ability. However being a "monumental mong" might just be one of the requirements of being an officer. Good luck.

Taffd

Lantern Swinger
It might be just me but I'd have reservations about giving command of a warship to someone who's incapable of passing a test designed for 11-year-olds.

Drakey

War Hero
First of all I'm not incapable of passing the test for all I know I could of been one mark off. To be incapable would imply that I have no chance ever of passing which is not the case. I doubt I'm the first to mess up and I won't be the last. Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)
What feedback did they give you after the test. Lots of people fail the first time and come back for a second attempt, and fail it again. For all you know you could have been 10 marks off and maybe just maybe incapable of passing the test. You are not alone.... Good luck.

Latest Threads