Warfare Officer at 25 and career progress.

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by ED50, Nov 13, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. ..........

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2013
  2. Dont see why being 25 would affect anything . Are you not promoted on merrit and ability ? IM sure some of the mob on here will question that lol. Then again they are allowed to .

Join the RNR? So what do you want to be in? The RN or the RNR? I know sod all about any of this but I would have thought signing up for the RNR would proclude you from signing up for the RN as its sort of just a differenet branch. You have to do the tests and all the normal signing up stuff dont you to be in the RNR?

Ill let others who actually know answer correctly though because I know sod all. Just applying logic.

Why do I get the feeling this thread might degenerate into a bit of a mess.....

Last edited: Nov 13, 2013
  3. ...........

4. Oh if you can run both fine . Like I said I know fck all . Im still not sure how being 25 would affect you commanding a ship one day if you have the skills and attrubutes

5. I haven't been through it myself, but one of my friends applied for Warfare Officer and was unsuccessful. He joined the RNR in the meantime and a year later was successful at AIB- so it can definitely be done wahooooo! Although it is a fair time away perhaps spend a bit of time now and then already preparing? Brain training on the ds, timed tests etc so that when the time comes for your retake you can smash it! The fact you have decided to work hard and wait rather than just give up is good as well. Cannot advise about age etc either but all the best :)

Last edited: Nov 13, 2013
  6. He'll have less time to achieve it won't he?

7. Spose so, just thought a year wouldnt make much difference in the grand scheme of things.

8. Fair one but it's a swiftly tightening bottle-neck for our mighty leaders. So many years to reach each rank, so every year will have a disproportionate reduction in the chances of reaching senior rank.

Shame really.

9. ED50. While it is commendable that you are setting your sights quiet high in wanting to command a warship, it looks like you might be getting your "A"s mixed up. Ambition and Ability. However being a "monumental mong" might just be one of the requirements of being an officer. Good luck.

• Like Like x 1
  10. It might be just me but I'd have reservations about giving command of a warship to someone who's incapable of passing a test designed for 11-year-olds.

• Like Like x 4
  11. ...........

12. What feedback did they give you after the test. Lots of people fail the first time and come back for a second attempt, and fail it again. For all you know you could have been 10 marks off and maybe just maybe incapable of passing the test. You are not alone.... Good luck.

13. Don't cut it too fine on the age front, ED50; bear in mind the age limit for Warfare Officers.

By the way, which part of the RT caused you the most difficulties?

14. exJenny

exJenny War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

And second of all?

Getting flashed up so easily will only lead to another JamesB incident.

You failed this time round. Knuckle down next time to pass. You now know the sort of questions you will face.

It might be that you failed by 1 mark, it might be that you failed by more. It could even be that you didn't score high enough in certain sections.

Having sat and passed the test 3 times there was only 2 marks difference between my lowest and highest score. You need to revise to ensure you improve a lot, not just a bit.

Just the thoughts of a blonde ex wren

15. ...........

16. ............

17. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

A good indicator of whether or not you're in with a realistic chance is during the "rejection counselling". If you were offered a wide range of Ratings jobs as an alternative, including technical trades - you're in with a shout.

If offered no alternative rating branch, consider a non-nautical career.

18. With a son who's a rating, I feel I have something of a vested interest in the quality of officers that might be called upon to give him orders.

I'm not a member of the AIB and have no say in who'd make a good officer and who wouldn't. But from a personal point of view, I expect prospective officers to 'have something about them'. Such as having the forethought to practise example tests, for a long enough period, against the clock, in order to virtually guarantee a pass. After all, as previously stated, the level required is what used to be expected of an 11-year-old.

And don't forget, 'he who laughs last, gets the worm'.

19. ............

20. No that was the least of your problems! For the first few years as a Warfare Officer they expect absolutely every Mid-SLt to think like that! With an ever shrinking number of Command posts the odds of it happening are shrinking!