Warfare Officer AIB Feb 2020

Domino98

Midshipman
Hi Guys,

I have been invited down to attempt the AIB at the end of February 2020. I am applying for Warfare Officer - Surface and was wondering if anyone knew if I was still in with a chance of being considered for May BRNC start should I be successful.

Thanks

jnc90

Midshipman
Hi mate- afraid I can't help with your query but just wondering what your timescales have been so far in the application? I.e. when did you complete initial tests and interview?

TangoWhisky

Midshipman
Well done on getting this far, when did you pass your career interview? I'm at the same stage now and am expecting a long wait for my AIB.

Domino98

Midshipman
Hello both,

Time scale wise I had the following:

- Applied late June 2019 and then attended initial psychometric test around early July. Following success here, I took my eye test etc same day

- I then completed the fitness test around mid August (my advice here is not to eat too much for breakfast as it will probably come back up)

- Following the fitness test, I completed my medical examination (pretty basic and nothing to worry about as long as you can walk and hear really)

- I then had my career interview mid September. This was extremely tense - main advice here is as everyone says, just be yourself. As a bit of preparation come up with situations where you have succeeded and failed, some work examples and some personal life examples. Oh, and brush up on naval knowledge r.e. your training pipeline and current operations.

It has been a long wait for my AIB date with me chasing quite often to make sure they hadn't forgotten me, but I think this is because of the role I have applied for. I believe the Warfare Officer role (especially surface) is often highly saturated but I am sure it will all be worth it.

Thanks

jnc90

Midshipman
Well done on getting this far, when did you pass your career interview? I'm at the same stage now and am expecting a long wait for my AIB.
I have my interview coming up Wednesday so hoping to be recommended for AIB after this but it seems that time scales vary a lot. The eye test/medical/fitness have all come pretty quickly so far but sees that most people are waiting a long time for AIB now.

Did your AFCO give you any indication of when your AIB might be?

jnc90

Midshipman
Thanks for the info Domino. As above my tests to this stage have come along pretty quickly, interview is this week so if I do pass will ask then re timescales for AIB but from reading online it seems difficult to predict wait time for FAT's/AIB.

TangoWhisky

Midshipman
I have my interview coming up Wednesday so hoping to be recommended for AIB after this but it seems that time scales vary a lot. The eye test/medical/fitness have all come pretty quickly so far but sees that most people are waiting a long time for AIB now.

Did your AFCO give you any indication of when your AIB might be?
I've been told it'll be about a 5 month wait. There's still a backlog from August for Surface Warfare Officers.

Good luck with your interview, if you want my revision notes, PM me.

jnc90

Midshipman
That's frustrating then I imagine but at least they've given you an estimate so you can hopefully plan a little better.

That would be great, will do so now. Thanks :)

Domino98

Midshipman
Thanks for the info Domino. As above my tests to this stage have come along pretty quickly, interview is this week so if I do pass will ask then re timescales for AIB but from reading online it seems difficult to predict wait time for FAT's/AIB.
Best advice I have been given is to have faith in the process and enjoy it while it lasts - it will absolutely fly by. I can remember as clear as day my initial phone call where I was confirming interest. Since then when I look back its gone so quick.

jnc90

Midshipman
Best advice I have been given is to have faith in the process and enjoy it while it lasts - it will absolutely fly by. I can remember as clear as day my initial phone call where I was confirming interest. Since then when I look back its gone so quick.
Yeah, trying to avoid the mindset of wishing time away but my personal plans are all over the shop at the moment, looking for a major career change one way or another - the pilot role with the Navy is certainly my first choice as things stand but if that doesn't come off then I want to look at other things also. So with so many uncertainties around the timescales it's difficult to make any contingency plans should it not come off, so hoping they might be able to give me a slightly better idea at the interview.

Domino98

Midshipman
Yeah, trying to avoid the mindset of wishing time away but my personal plans are all over the shop at the moment, looking for a major career change one way or another - the pilot role with the Navy is certainly my first choice as things stand but if that doesn't come off then I want to look at other things also. So with so many uncertainties around the timescales it's difficult to make any contingency plans should it not come off, so hoping they might be able to give me a slightly better idea at the interview.
All the best with your interview - I am sure with a bit of preparation you will be fine - and I hope you get the answers you're looking for. But as you can see from my experience, it has been a bit of a wait for me to finally get my AIB date (sometimes being given the impression I could be waiting until September!).

soleil

War Hero
Those of you who are waiting for your AIB might find it useful to read Navy News for up to date information about deployments and so on. You can get it from newsagents and some supermarkets or by subscription, if you wish.

jnc90

Midshipman
Forgot to update this last week but happily I passed the officer interview so have now been recommended for AIB, of course need to also pass the FAT's given that I'm going for pilot role. Some good advice from TangoWhisky was very helpful :)

I would say mind for others that are going for the interview, mine was quite different to expected and from others experiences, really had to think on the spot. He didn't ask the usual questions or anything on my knowledge of the Navy, current affairs or operations. He basically asked:
Why Navy/pilot?
Training pipeline (although he prefixed this by saying 'it is probably different to anything you've read')?
What is Leadership and management (difference between both)?
3 qualities of both a good manager and a good leader?
What is courage and morale courage?

I've been told the same as others, around a 5 month backlog on AIB so maybe like a 7/8 month wait for it. Although not looking too far ahead to that as I have to pass FAT's first and can't say I'm feeling totally confident of scoring high enough for pilot looking at practice examples. Planning a lot of swatting in terms of mental arithmetic, need to brush up on the basics really - been a long time since I was doing SDT formulas and long division/multiplication in school!

ExonDrake

The selection board for the May 2020 intake is due to sit on the 23rd March. I don’t know when the cut-off is but you’d have thought that it wouldn’t be as far back as a whole month beforehand. My entirely uninformed assumption would be that a February AIB candidate would be considered by the March board.

MAXtmpu

Midshipman
The selection board for the May 2020 intake is due to sit on the 23rd March. I don’t know when the cut-off is but you’d have thought that it wouldn’t be as far back as a whole month beforehand. My entirely uninformed assumption would be that a February AIB candidate would be considered by the March board.
This is spot on. The selection board for the 11th May intake sits on the 23rd of March. I was told candidates will be written to on the 24th-25th saying either "successful" or "unsuccessful".

I passed my aircrew AIB in February Domino, so if you have any questions, feel free to message me. For anybody that is curious, here are some notes on my experience:
  • Fitness test: mine was cancelled due to unforeseen circumstances, and so my board wasn't assessed on this. I would still get your fitness nailed though - practice track runs to get used to outdoor running if you've only used a treadmill.
  • First day was quite pleasant and helped to manage nerves. Bond with your team and pay attention to everything in the PLT brief. Techniques are super important and you can practice them in the common area. Consider going to the pub down the road to get to know your team, and/or, consider doing what we did which was running through some practice planning exercises from online with your board. We spent 15 minutes reading and 15 minutes discussing the situation so that we were ready for the plan ex on the next day.
  • The planning exercise is what most people find the most challenging. Make sure you run through some practice examples between now and your AIB to get a flavour for what they're giving you. Practice a system of notetaking for that first 15 minutes reading time that works for you. The discussion phase is a good place to leverage your style of leadership; for example, if a member of your board is more confident and bullish, you shouldn't compete with them. You should instead ask targeted questions that develop and consolidate the plan with the team as a whole rather than trying to take away any team member's contribution. e.g. "that's a great idea candidate 4, but if aim 1 is our utmost priority and factor A means that we cannot achieve aim 1 within the required time, should we not consider doing *insert your idea*?". I'm saying this because it's important to be yourself - and I am not particularly bullish - and so this was my approach, which got me good marks.
    The questioning phase is intense, but just remember to answer every question in your head rather than just the ones asked to you, as it will develop your situational awareness and will ensure you're ready when a question gets passed on to you. Just stay level headed and react confidently to the pressure (but not too confidently).
    For the written brief, make sure you get some quality writing down in all sections and ensure that somebody could pick up the piece of paper not knowing anything about the situation and understand the plan. Make sure plenty of speed distance time is in the plan section of the report - get good at that stuff quick! speeddistancetime.info
    Finally, be confident in your presentation and use the pointy stick. Focus on delivering a concise 2-minute presentation that encompasses your aims, plan, and some timings. Be prepared for 1-2 questions on the plan. Be willing to adapt the plan if they throw something at you that shows a flaw, but don't change on a whim. Be prepared to say no to any suggestions or coercion if you still think your plan achieves the aims better than the suggestion.
    Finally, try to enjoy the plan ex. The intensity is actually quite fun in hindsight.
  • The PLT was my weakest part of AIB, specifically my led task. For all other tasks, get stuck in as much as possible and be the first to volunteer for any open role. Be loud at all times. For the led task, you really want to have positive control of everything the team does, including techniques. You almost want to micromanage everything they do (I was told), whereas I was too relaxed and allowed the team to take too much of their own initiative. I had zero experience of any PLTs going into it, and so I was happy with the mixed feedback coming out of it.
    Don't splash the officers in the wet tasks like us. We got dunked at the end for it, and the water was very cold! (but we all had smiles on our face).
  • My interview was fairly pleasant. Have a strong "tell us about yourself" answer ready that gives them plenty of opportunities/areas to ask questions. I was asked nothing on the training pipeline (although others on my board were), or on the service. Demonstrate commitment to your role and becoming an officer with evidence. Have some good answers for values and standards that demonstrate a strong moral compass (i.e. moral courage). Demonstrate that you've had to overcome and manage adversity, and be prepared for some curveball questions! I won't share the exact questions they asked because they want to test how you respond, but they are a varied bank of questions that could ask about times when you fell short of your own moral standards and how you dealt with it, compassion, and fear. You want to show reflection on the experience and the personal development that came from it.
  • Finally, run through some psychometrics online to get yourself prepared for them. They're fairly straight-forward.
  • Never forget the sense of occasion. Always be smart, speak confidently, and address people correctly.
  • Your team are not the competition.
  • Remember that the day is about measuring potential - not the finished article. If you take it seriously and prepare properly, whilst being yourself, you'll be fine.
Best of luck for your AIB. Again - try to enjoy it! I saw it as my first taste of being a Naval officer and really enjoyed the pressure and sense of urgency. You'll build a sense of camaraderie with your team throughout the days - and you might even be training with them at BRNC.

Domino98

Midshipman
This is spot on. The selection board for the 11th May intake sits on the 23rd of March. I was told candidates will be written to on the 24th-25th saying either "successful" or "unsuccessful".

I passed my aircrew AIB in February Domino, so if you have any questions, feel free to message me. For anybody that is curious, here are some notes on my experience:
  • Fitness test: mine was cancelled due to unforeseen circumstances, and so my board wasn't assessed on this. I would still get your fitness nailed though - practice track runs to get used to outdoor running if you've only used a treadmill.
  • First day was quite pleasant and helped to manage nerves. Bond with your team and pay attention to everything in the PLT brief. Techniques are super important and you can practice them in the common area. Consider going to the pub down the road to get to know your team, and/or, consider doing what we did which was running through some practice planning exercises from online with your board. We spent 15 minutes reading and 15 minutes discussing the situation so that we were ready for the plan ex on the next day.
  • The planning exercise is what most people find the most challenging. Make sure you run through some practice examples between now and your AIB to get a flavour for what they're giving you. Practice a system of notetaking for that first 15 minutes reading time that works for you. The discussion phase is a good place to leverage your style of leadership; for example, if a member of your board is more confident and bullish, you shouldn't compete with them. You should instead ask targeted questions that develop and consolidate the plan with the team as a whole rather than trying to take away any team member's contribution. e.g. "that's a great idea candidate 4, but if aim 1 is our utmost priority and factor A means that we cannot achieve aim 1 within the required time, should we not consider doing *insert your idea*?". I'm saying this because it's important to be yourself - and I am not particularly bullish - and so this was my approach, which got me good marks.
    The questioning phase is intense, but just remember to answer every question in your head rather than just the ones asked to you, as it will develop your situational awareness and will ensure you're ready when a question gets passed on to you. Just stay level headed and react confidently to the pressure (but not too confidently).
    For the written brief, make sure you get some quality writing down in all sections and ensure that somebody could pick up the piece of paper not knowing anything about the situation and understand the plan. Make sure plenty of speed distance time is in the plan section of the report - get good at that stuff quick! speeddistancetime.info
    Finally, be confident in your presentation and use the pointy stick. Focus on delivering a concise 2-minute presentation that encompasses your aims, plan, and some timings. Be prepared for 1-2 questions on the plan. Be willing to adapt the plan if they throw something at you that shows a flaw, but don't change on a whim. Be prepared to say no to any suggestions or coercion if you still think your plan achieves the aims better than the suggestion.
    Finally, try to enjoy the plan ex. The intensity is actually quite fun in hindsight.
  • The PLT was my weakest part of AIB, specifically my led task. For all other tasks, get stuck in as much as possible and be the first to volunteer for any open role. Be loud at all times. For the led task, you really want to have positive control of everything the team does, including techniques. You almost want to micromanage everything they do (I was told), whereas I was too relaxed and allowed the team to take too much of their own initiative. I had zero experience of any PLTs going into it, and so I was happy with the mixed feedback coming out of it.
    Don't splash the officers in the wet tasks like us. We got dunked at the end for it, and the water was very cold! (but we all had smiles on our face).
  • My interview was fairly pleasant. Have a strong "tell us about yourself" answer ready that gives them plenty of opportunities/areas to ask questions. I was asked nothing on the training pipeline (although others on my board were), or on the service. Demonstrate commitment to your role and becoming an officer with evidence. Have some good answers for values and standards that demonstrate a strong moral compass (i.e. moral courage). Demonstrate that you've had to overcome and manage adversity, and be prepared for some curveball questions! I won't share the exact questions they asked because they want to test how you respond, but they are a varied bank of questions that could ask about times when you fell short of your own moral standards and how you dealt with it, compassion, and fear. You want to show reflection on the experience and the personal development that came from it.
  • Finally, run through some psychometrics online to get yourself prepared for them. They're fairly straight-forward.
  • Never forget the sense of occasion. Always be smart, speak confidently, and address people correctly.
  • Your team are not the competition.
  • Remember that the day is about measuring potential - not the finished article. If you take it seriously and prepare properly, whilst being yourself, you'll be fine.
Best of luck for your AIB. Again - try to enjoy it! I saw it as my first taste of being a Naval officer and really enjoyed the pressure and sense of urgency. You'll build a sense of camaraderie with your team throughout the days - and you might even be training with them at BRNC.
Brilliant review mate - definitely put my mind at ease on some points.

In my last conversation with my ACLO I was advised to focus heavily on: Interview prep, especially the opening 'tell us about yourself'; memory recall for the Planning Exercise, and like you say preparation to answer your team's potential incorrect answers and to be vocal with the PLT.

I think my biggest worry is around the planning exercise task but I have since looked through threads on here and borrowed a planning exercise book to get some preparation - but saying that, I only have 7 days until im down at AIB.

Did they give you an idea on how likely you were to be picked for May entry?

Thanks,

Domino

MAXtmpu

Midshipman
Brilliant review mate - definitely put my mind at ease on some points.

In my last conversation with my ACLO I was advised to focus heavily on: Interview prep, especially the opening 'tell us about yourself'; memory recall for the Planning Exercise, and like you say preparation to answer your team's potential incorrect answers and to be vocal with the PLT.

I think my biggest worry is around the planning exercise task but I have since looked through threads on here and borrowed a planning exercise book to get some preparation - but saying that, I only have 7 days until im down at AIB.

Did they give you an idea on how likely you were to be picked for May entry?

Thanks,

Domino
No worries mate. The buildup to AIB is a little scary, but have faith in yourself!

Your ACLO is spot on there - memory recall is vital in particular. There is a lot of information (even down to specific phrases to describe somebody in a situation) that are to be remembered. Very few of these questions were answered correctly (or rather, with the specificity desired) on my board. Remember that you cannot and are not expected to get everything right.

7 days is plenty of time to thoughtfully prepare for the plan ex. Remember the personal aspect (regarding you and how you deal with the intensity) is just as important - if not more - than the technical aspect. Managing your emotional state, remaining focused, and applying yourself without getting flustered is essential. Deep breaths!

I was personally told to be reasonably optimistic for selection in May. I did meet a couple of pilots at RNAS Yeovilton that were on grading on my POV that scored average FATs and borderline AIB scores - so I'm trying to not think too much about my own score in order to not get my hopes up. I still have an aircrew medical to pass, but I'm personally hopeful for BRNC in May for Pilot.

Any other questions, just ask. Best of luck and get back to us all with how you get on!

Domino98

Midshipman
No worries mate. The buildup to AIB is a little scary, but have faith in yourself!

Your ACLO is spot on there - memory recall is vital in particular. There is a lot of information (even down to specific phrases to describe somebody in a situation) that are to be remembered. Very few of these questions were answered correctly (or rather, with the specificity desired) on my board. Remember that you cannot and are not expected to get everything right.

7 days is plenty of time to thoughtfully prepare for the plan ex. Remember the personal aspect (regarding you and how you deal with the intensity) is just as important - if not more - than the technical aspect. Managing your emotional state, remaining focused, and applying yourself without getting flustered is essential. Deep breaths!

I was personally told to be reasonably optimistic for selection in May. I did meet a couple of pilots at RNAS Yeovilton that were on grading on my POV that scored average FATs and borderline AIB scores - so I'm trying to not think too much about my own score in order to not get my hopes up. I still have an aircrew medical to pass, but I'm personally hopeful for BRNC in May for Pilot.

Any other questions, just ask. Best of luck and get back to us all with how you get on!
Well I wish you all the best with a May intake and hopefully next Thursday I’ll be getting back to you with some good news - if radio silence then assume the worst!

Thanks again for your input - some sound advice there!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MAXtmpu

Midshipman
Well I wish you all the best with a May intake and hopefully next Thursday I’ll be getting back to you with some good news - if radio silence then assume the worst!

Thanks again for your input - some sound advice there!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No problem. I hope you're successful at AIB and that you get a good shot at May intake. Hope to see you there!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
N Joining as a Warfare Officer submarine v surface Joining the Royal Navy 4
S Employment Opportunities and Qualifications for Warfare Intelligence Officer? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 10
C Warfare Intelligence Officer Joining the Royal Navy 2
K Qualifications required to become a Warfare Officer, i.e UCAS Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
R Joining as a Warfare Officer at 31 Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
9 Warfare Officer Specialisms Joining the Royal Navy 1
A Warfare officer Vs Cadet deck officer RFA Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
D Up to date Warfare Officer Training Pipeline Joining the Royal Navy 5
B Warfare Officer to Pilot UPO/Careers Office 37
A DGE Warfare Officer 2019 Application: My journey. Joining the Royal Navy 12
B Latest Warfare Officer (Submariner) Pipeline Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
D Warfare Officer/ 6th form scholarship application Joining the Royal Navy 2
I Eyesight requirements - Warfare Officer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
A Reapplying Warfare Officer Joining the Royal Navy 1
M Warfare specialist to officer. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
VilliersBucks Warfare Officer Application 2018 Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 14
P warfare officer? Joining the Royal Navy 16
W Questions on Intelligence Officer - Warfare Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 20
Keithdwat579 Can you become a pilot as a Warfare Officer? Joining the Royal Navy 13
Keithdwat579 Warfare Officer Psychometric Pass Mark Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
RAM28 Warfare Officer pilot Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
RAM28 Warfare Officer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 26
T Warfare Officer BRNC intake numbers (May-Jan 17) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
T Warfare Officer Training Pipeline & career progression Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 18
L Information on being a Warfare Officer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 38
H Warfare Officer Training Pipeline (SM) Submariners 1
P Commonwealth citizen looking to join as a Warfare Officer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
alfred_the_great New Warfare Officer pipeline Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
D Warfare Officer - Training Pipeline Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 12
M Joining as a Warfare Officer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
E Warfare Officer (submariner), post-BRNC training pipeline Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 0
R Warfare Officer(surface fleet)/Royal Marines Officer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
E Warfare Officer- Career Opportunities. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
S Potential Warfare Officer - Advice and Questions Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 27
J Warfare Officer - advice needed about my eligibility Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
B Warfare officer training Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 12
E Warfare Officer at 25 and career progress. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 20
B Warfare officer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
M General Service Warfare Officer Career Path Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 14
B Daily Life of A Warfare Officer? The Gash Barge 2
N Warfare Officer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 70
L Warfare officer ( submariner) pipeline Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
5 Warfare officer subordinates - branches, jobs. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 12
M Warfare Officer Application Questions Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
G Warfare Officer Submariner Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
L Applying For Warfare Officer (Submariner) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 10
S Warfare Officer Training. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 25
J Waiting time for Warfare Officer? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
I Is my eye sight good enought for Warfare officer ? Health & Fitness 4
M Questions about Warfare Officer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7