Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Warfare Officer AIB Feb 2020

Domino98

Midshipman
Hi Guys,

I have been invited down to attempt the AIB at the end of February 2020. I am applying for Warfare Officer - Surface and was wondering if anyone knew if I was still in with a chance of being considered for May BRNC start should I be successful.

Thanks

Hi mate- afraid I can't help with your query but just wondering what your timescales have been so far in the application? I.e. when did you complete initial tests and interview?

Well done on getting this far, when did you pass your career interview? I'm at the same stage now and am expecting a long wait for my AIB.

Hello both,

Time scale wise I had the following:

- Applied late June 2019 and then attended initial psychometric test around early July. Following success here, I took my eye test etc same day

- I then completed the fitness test around mid August (my advice here is not to eat too much for breakfast as it will probably come back up)

- Following the fitness test, I completed my medical examination (pretty basic and nothing to worry about as long as you can walk and hear really)

- I then had my career interview mid September. This was extremely tense - main advice here is as everyone says, just be yourself. As a bit of preparation come up with situations where you have succeeded and failed, some work examples and some personal life examples. Oh, and brush up on naval knowledge r.e. your training pipeline and current operations.

It has been a long wait for my AIB date with me chasing quite often to make sure they hadn't forgotten me, but I think this is because of the role I have applied for. I believe the Warfare Officer role (especially surface) is often highly saturated but I am sure it will all be worth it.

Thanks

Well done on getting this far, when did you pass your career interview? I'm at the same stage now and am expecting a long wait for my AIB.

I have my interview coming up Wednesday so hoping to be recommended for AIB after this but it seems that time scales vary a lot. The eye test/medical/fitness have all come pretty quickly so far but sees that most people are waiting a long time for AIB now.

Did your AFCO give you any indication of when your AIB might be?

Thanks for the info Domino. As above my tests to this stage have come along pretty quickly, interview is this week so if I do pass will ask then re timescales for AIB but from reading online it seems difficult to predict wait time for FAT's/AIB.

I have my interview coming up Wednesday so hoping to be recommended for AIB after this but it seems that time scales vary a lot. The eye test/medical/fitness have all come pretty quickly so far but sees that most people are waiting a long time for AIB now.

Did your AFCO give you any indication of when your AIB might be?
I've been told it'll be about a 5 month wait. There's still a backlog from August for Surface Warfare Officers.

Good luck with your interview, if you want my revision notes, PM me.

That's frustrating then I imagine but at least they've given you an estimate so you can hopefully plan a little better.

That would be great, will do so now. Thanks :)

Thanks for the info Domino. As above my tests to this stage have come along pretty quickly, interview is this week so if I do pass will ask then re timescales for AIB but from reading online it seems difficult to predict wait time for FAT's/AIB.

Best advice I have been given is to have faith in the process and enjoy it while it lasts - it will absolutely fly by. I can remember as clear as day my initial phone call where I was confirming interest. Since then when I look back its gone so quick.

Best advice I have been given is to have faith in the process and enjoy it while it lasts - it will absolutely fly by. I can remember as clear as day my initial phone call where I was confirming interest. Since then when I look back its gone so quick.
Yeah, trying to avoid the mindset of wishing time away but my personal plans are all over the shop at the moment, looking for a major career change one way or another - the pilot role with the Navy is certainly my first choice as things stand but if that doesn't come off then I want to look at other things also. So with so many uncertainties around the timescales it's difficult to make any contingency plans should it not come off, so hoping they might be able to give me a slightly better idea at the interview.

Yeah, trying to avoid the mindset of wishing time away but my personal plans are all over the shop at the moment, looking for a major career change one way or another - the pilot role with the Navy is certainly my first choice as things stand but if that doesn't come off then I want to look at other things also. So with so many uncertainties around the timescales it's difficult to make any contingency plans should it not come off, so hoping they might be able to give me a slightly better idea at the interview.

All the best with your interview - I am sure with a bit of preparation you will be fine - and I hope you get the answers you're looking for. But as you can see from my experience, it has been a bit of a wait for me to finally get my AIB date (sometimes being given the impression I could be waiting until September!).

Those of you who are waiting for your AIB might find it useful to read Navy News for up to date information about deployments and so on. You can get it from newsagents and some supermarkets or by subscription, if you wish.

Forgot to update this last week but happily I passed the officer interview so have now been recommended for AIB, of course need to also pass the FAT's given that I'm going for pilot role. Some good advice from TangoWhisky was very helpful :)

I would say mind for others that are going for the interview, mine was quite different to expected and from others experiences, really had to think on the spot. He didn't ask the usual questions or anything on my knowledge of the Navy, current affairs or operations. He basically asked:
Why Navy/pilot?
Training pipeline (although he prefixed this by saying 'it is probably different to anything you've read')?
What is Leadership and management (difference between both)?
3 qualities of both a good manager and a good leader?
What is courage and morale courage?

I've been told the same as others, around a 5 month backlog on AIB so maybe like a 7/8 month wait for it. Although not looking too far ahead to that as I have to pass FAT's first and can't say I'm feeling totally confident of scoring high enough for pilot looking at practice examples. Planning a lot of swatting in terms of mental arithmetic, need to brush up on the basics really - been a long time since I was doing SDT formulas and long division/multiplication in school!

The selection board for the May 2020 intake is due to sit on the 23rd March. I don’t know when the cut-off is but you’d have thought that it wouldn’t be as far back as a whole month beforehand. My entirely uninformed assumption would be that a February AIB candidate would be considered by the March board.

Remember:
  • Never forget the sense of occasion. Always be smart, speak confidently, and address people correctly.
  • Your team are not the competition.
  • Remember that the day is about measuring potential - not the finished article. If you take it seriously and prepare properly, whilst being yourself, you'll be fine.
Best of luck for your AIB. Again - try to enjoy it! I saw it as my first taste of being a Naval officer and really enjoyed the pressure and sense of urgency. You'll build a sense of camaraderie with your team throughout the days - and you might even be training with them at BRNC.

Last edited:

Latest Threads