Wardroom toasts of the day

Guns

War Hero
As we know them

• Monday - Our Ships at sea
  • Tuesday - Our Men
  • Wednesday - Ourselves (as no one is likely to concern themselves with our welfare)
  • Thursday - A bloody war or a sickly season
  • Friday - A willing foe and sea room
  • Saturday - Sweethearts and wives (may they never meet)
  • Sunday - Absent friends

As the Second Sea Lord would like us to know them

• Monday - Our Ships at sea
  • Tuesday - Our Sailors
  • Wednesday - Ourselves (as no one is likely to concern themselves with our welfare)
  • Thursday - A bloody war or a sickly season
  • Friday - A willing foe and sea room
  • Saturday - Our families (although he was unclear if we still use "may they never meet")
  • Sunday - Absent friends

Now before the old farts have a siezure the thinking is sound. Our Sailors as we now have men, women and even Welshmen serving. Wives and Sweethearts, well in this case it removes the obvious gender issue and more importantly I feel means the families as a whole get a mention and thought. After we do bugger them around a lot.

Me? I think it is fine and can't see an issue.

What about others?

A

angrydoc

Surely sweetheart is a unisex word?

Is this seriously something on 2SL's desk? It would be a quality bite and I'm not sure if the 1/2 bottle of dodgy French wine I've just quaffed has made me fall for it!

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
To be fair, whilst we don't have many ships, we do have an adequate number of senior officers to address these burning issues, thankfully.

The redundancies originally announced for Cdrs/Lt Colonels upward have thankfully been been shelved for the Naval service - heartening news to four and a half thousand squaddies yesterday.

Never mind the toast of the Day, I've always used the universal toast which is applicable to All and every occasion. It is of course..................................."Up yer Bum":clap:

OK, OK, lets have a check, check, check on this for a moment. The letter that was pushed out from 2SLs office does say that this was directed by 1SL, so let's not start firing shots across 2SLs bows here.

I personally think the reasons behind the change are sound (these reasons having been articulated in the letter).
As any flunky would say.

For the rest of the uninitiated ... can someone explain clearly in less than one sylable ... what are you all going on about???????

Confused .com!

My first post!
I can see the logic for changing the Saturday toast, and a toast to "Our families" seems pretty reasonable.
I can also, however, appreciate that some might be uneasy at the changing of tradition. Might there be a compromise with a response along the lines of: "May wives and sweethearts never meet" ?