Discussion in 'The Gash Barge' started by pinkprincess, Nov 16, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. ...is horrific.

However, I cannot, in good conscience, oppose it.

My Grandmother told me of her suffering in the second World War and growing up in a Polish community made me realsise what centuries of being down-trodden, with your borders moving as bigger political powers fight over you does to a nation.

In my work, I wa seeing more trade with Poland and I knew that she was finally beginning to bloom and grow, to taste the freedom and independence that we all enjoy. Her people are still poor but they are beginning to come out of the darkness that existed for so long in Poland's history.

If it weren't for Britain and her Allies, the great British spirit, Winston Churchill and the brave men and women that gave their lives for the fight for peace and independence, Poland would never have tasted that hope and would never have begun to blossom as she has.

When I took my Gran back there before she died, she saw her home as a a happy place.

Many British men and women fought for her life. When she was beaten by the SS until she was covered in blood, when she gave up her identity and pretended to be German, working in a soup kitchen near Dachow, seeing the inmates die of a simple meal of soup and bread when they were liberated and when she escaped to England fearing the Ruskies more than she had the Germans, she could never have dreamt that she would one day see her homeland climbing, soaring with hope and new-found freedom.

War itself is a painful, cruel animal but its eventual repercussions are beyond measure. Germany is a unified, happier place, as is Russia and as are many Eastern Bloc countries, the end product of that war is a joy to behold.

I am proud of the fact that I have directly affected ops, kept people safe when it was not a part of my job. I will do everything in my power to keep doing so within my role and when required, outside of it as I did this summer. People can hurl abuse at me all they like for it. I know better than most of them the true horrors of war but I am also intelligent enough to see the long-term, the beauty that will eventually come when people feel that peace. Perhaps they cannot comprehend that without the brave souls that are willing to lay down their lives not only for the freedom of the people in their own country but for that of other people in other countries, they would not be able to read my views on war, let alone call me names for supporting the military.

This may seem like drivel to those of you in the military but for those of us in the outside world, as I was until recently, it seems so far away and people forget that it wasn't so long ago that our freedom was at risk. If it weren't for the Allied troops, I would not even exist and I will gladly take the flak for showing my support.

For those of you on ops or deployed far away from the people that you love and who love you, risking your lives for the freedom of others, we love you all the more for your dedication and devotion, for your heart and for your spirit. You have every right to be proud to be a part of something so great.
  2. And I still wouldn't trust Russia, the old ways are only in a cupboard.
  3. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Hmm, does having a snowball fight in Norway constitute 'risk'? :shock: :twisted:

Lovely post, PP, and a great sentiment - it's just a shame that those soothsayers who are not supporters of "da troops" [sic] don't appreciate the irony that the freedom they have to voice an opinion without fear or intimidation (no matter how contrary it may be) is protected by the very people they are apparently against... :oops:
  4. Thanks SPB.

I have made this post on another networking site where I know a lot of the people IRL so I expect that I shall lose a few friends. Some of them are in denial about what I do for a living. I suppose that they believe that I would work in a much more pink and fluffy environment if I could, they don't want to realise how passionate I am about what I do.

Oh well, I won't pretend to be something I am not to win friends. I am who and what I am, if people don't like it, tough.
  5. What's IRL?
  6. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

...surely the plumbing and home gas installations industry in Leeds is not that hostile, is it Brian?! :shock: :wink:
  7. In Real Life as opposed to online.

Here on RR for example, I only know 3 peeps IRL.
  8. You've not been Oop North for a while then SPB? :wink: :lol:
  9. Ta.
  10. When's Putin back in?
  11. PAGODA GUVNO DOBRAY TAC? E Yash E Mack :p (Phenetic can't write Polish) :twisted: :wink:
  12. Dziękuję muy ukochany! The effort is much appreciated. The weather has improved since Friday's storms.

Jak sÄ… wy?

My Polish is a bit rusty, apart from in Poland - I haven't spoken any since I started Primary school, I'm convinced that should be 'Jak sie masz?'